Neil McCann is unsure whether Pedro Caixinha is the right man to succeed Mark Warburton as Rangers manager.
Caixinha, who is currently in charge of Qatari club Al-Gharafa, has emerged in recent days as the bookmakers' favourite for the vacant managerial job at Ibrox.
Rangers parted company with Warburton, assistant David Weir and director of football Frank McParland three weeks ago in acrimonious circumstances, with the Scottish Premiership club claiming all three had tendered their resignations.
Warburton, Weir and McParland have since denied resigning from their positions.
Portuguese Caixinha, 46, completed his coaching badges in Scotland and has previously served as an assistant manager at Sporting Lisbon, Panathinaikos, Rapid Bucharest and the Saudi Arabian national team
"I think they'll entertain a wide variety of coaches, but I'd be surprised if they go for someone like that. I don't know too much about him, I have to be honest," McCann told Sky Sports.
"Would that be the right guy to come into this club at the minute? Does he know the environment? I imagine, being Portuguese, he'd speak to Pedro Mendes, who spent a lot of time here and might give him the basis.
"But as Mark Warburton proved, you don't know it until you're in it and what pressure this club brings upon your shoulders.
"What players does he have in mind? Can they play in this environment? If he's not got the right players in mind to deal with this environment, does the new director of football that Rangers are going after, does he have a style of football or a player in mind that could sort Rangers out?
"Rangers need to be sorted out at first-team level. I am not sure it would be the right appointment, but if it is him, you have to give him time."
Sky sources understand former Birmingham City manager Gary Rowett met with members of the Rangers board to discuss the vacancy on Tuesday.
Latest Nigeria News
- FIFA threatens to bar Spain from World Cup
- Morata cannot be compared to Drogba – Conte
- Ligue 1: Neymar ready to face Rennes says Emery
- NBB of C endorses Anthony Joshua’s planned homecoming
- AC Milan faces UEFA financial fair-play penalties
- Walker needs brains, says Guardiola
- Premier League weekend team news: Injuries and suspensions update
- Zinedine Zidane: Real Madrid's Club World Cup final vs. Gremo is '50/50'
- Mkhitaryan future doubt after Mou row
- Record-breaker Guardiola relishes Tottenham test
- Man United’s Bailly set for ankle surgery
- Jose Mourinho open to adding to Manchester United squad in January
- Pep Guardiola: Manchester City can still get 'much, much better'
- Poch's plan to stop City juggernaut
- Kylian Mbappe, ‘the revelation of football’ — Maradona
- BREAKING: Brazilian football chief, Del Nero, given 90-day ban
- Valencia confident Manchester United won't recall Andreas Pereira in January
- Transfer Rater: Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool, Willian to Manchester United
- Not a problem if Antoine Griezmann asks to leave Atletico - Diego Simeone
- Man United boss Jose Mourinho says Eric Bailly out for two to three months
- Wenger desperate for win in race for Champions League places
- Five things to look out for in La Liga
- WATCH: Premier League in 90 seconds
- Romelu Lukaku right not to celebrate goal against Bournemouth - Phil Neville
- Bayern Munich's James Rodriguez not thinking about Real Madrid return
- Manchester City to set to sign a centre-back in January - sources
- Wenger: No Ozil move to Man United in January, Wilshere talks to come
- Man City can match 'Invincibles' but Arsenal did it without money - Wenger
- Can Spurs get at Man City?
- Man City on top of Power Rankings
- Tottenham can outplay Manchester City - Harry Winks
- Man United eye Chelsea's Willian, expecting winter Mkhitaryan bids
- Dominic Solanke: 'Annoying' that ref changed his mind on Liverpool goal
- Man City chasing Bayern for longest winning run in Europe's top 5 leagues
- Oliver Kahn regrets not signing for Man United from Bayern Munich
- FA wants Man United's Jose Mourinho to explain pre-derby comments
- Ogun moves to save MKO, Muda Lawal stadiums
- FA asks Mourinho to explain pre-derby comments
- Mourinho reveals Bailly could be out for season
- Manchester City hailed as Premier League greats