Neil McCann is unsure whether Pedro Caixinha is the right man to succeed Mark Warburton as Rangers manager.
Caixinha, who is currently in charge of Qatari club Al-Gharafa, has emerged in recent days as the bookmakers' favourite for the vacant managerial job at Ibrox.
Rangers parted company with Warburton, assistant David Weir and director of football Frank McParland three weeks ago in acrimonious circumstances, with the Scottish Premiership club claiming all three had tendered their resignations.
Warburton, Weir and McParland have since denied resigning from their positions.
Portuguese Caixinha, 46, completed his coaching badges in Scotland and has previously served as an assistant manager at Sporting Lisbon, Panathinaikos, Rapid Bucharest and the Saudi Arabian national team
"I think they'll entertain a wide variety of coaches, but I'd be surprised if they go for someone like that. I don't know too much about him, I have to be honest," McCann told Sky Sports.
"Would that be the right guy to come into this club at the minute? Does he know the environment? I imagine, being Portuguese, he'd speak to Pedro Mendes, who spent a lot of time here and might give him the basis.
"But as Mark Warburton proved, you don't know it until you're in it and what pressure this club brings upon your shoulders.
"What players does he have in mind? Can they play in this environment? If he's not got the right players in mind to deal with this environment, does the new director of football that Rangers are going after, does he have a style of football or a player in mind that could sort Rangers out?
"Rangers need to be sorted out at first-team level. I am not sure it would be the right appointment, but if it is him, you have to give him time."
Sky sources understand former Birmingham City manager Gary Rowett met with members of the Rangers board to discuss the vacancy on Tuesday.
Latest Nigeria News
- Monaco’s Diakhaby signs three-year contract with Huddersfield
- Liverpool's ¬62.5m offer for Alisson 'irrefusable' for Roma - Francesco Totti
- Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger not in running to become next Japan manager
- Liverpool's Naby Keita always wanted to be Steven Gerrard as a kid
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Barcelona coming in with £55m-plus bid for Chelsea's Willian
- Gor Mahia shed goal-shy image with four in CAF romp
- Ethiopia Appoints Abraham Mebratu as Head Coach
- Brighton sign South Africa star Tau
- Mwase: Malawi needs nothing but victory
- Elite Beach Soccer referees gear up for Sharm El Sheikh
- Mahrez shows glimpse of City prowess
- Transfer Talk: Barcelona coming in with £55m-plus bid for Chelsea's Willian
- Liverpool's Naby Keita emulated 'boss' Steven Gerrard as a kid
- Asaba 2018: AFN invites 61 athletes to camp
- Lawal warns F’Eagles over Mauritania
- Stakeholders raise the alarm over league suspension
- Thai cave boys relive ‘moment of miracle’
- Stars, flops of Russia 2018 World Cup
- Brazil and PSG defender Dani Alves slams Neymar memes: It's not a joke
- Chelsea need 'best player' Eden Hazard to stay - Cesc Fabregas
- David De Gea will stay at Manchester United because of fans - Ander Herrera
- Transfer Talk: Real Madrid ready £112 million bid for Eden Hazard, also targeting Mauro Icardi
- VIDEO: Goalkeeper Alisson’s wife celebrates husband’s $84m move to Liverpool
- Madrid's return to Galactico spending
- Leicester City seal signing of Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward
- I will help Liverpool win title, says Fabinho
- Croatia’s Caleta-Car signs five-year contract with Marseille
- German federation bosses are ‘amateurs’ — Bayern’s Rummenigge
- Liverpool's Mohamed Salah sent Alisson text messages urging him to join club
- Neymar: I am staying at Paris Saint-Germain and want to win with them
- Kylian Mbappe ahead of where Thierry Henry was at same age - Didier Deschamps
- Barcelona told Ajax's Frenkie de Jong will not leave this summer
- Tottenham's Son Heung-Min signs new five-year contract until 2023
- Manchester United's Alexis Sanchez 'has to play' vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Jose Mourinho
- Conte to sue Chelsea over delayed sacking
- Chelsea prepare for life under new manager Sarri in Australia
- Sports court annuls AC Milan Europa League ban
- Nigeria host Mauritania as qualifiers reach final lap
- Zambia bank on positive away run
- Liverpool title talk is premature