Harry Winks used to be "in awe" of Tottenham mentor Scott Parker, but will not let up if they face each other on FA Cup duty.
Parker's current club Fulham host Winks' Tottenham in the FA Cup fifth round on Sunday, with both midfielders looking to earn rare starts for their sides.
Winks was just 16 when Parker led Spurs into the Champions League under Harry Redknapp in 2012, but the 21-year-old is now setting his sights on achieving his old team-mate's success.
"He was a top player and a top person as well," Winks said of Parker. "He was great with me, always giving me advice, and his career speaks for itself and he's a player I'd love to aspire to get to one day.
Winks has made 17 Premier League appearances in a breakthrough campaign for Spurs this season
"I think when I first trained with the first team he was near the end of his time at Spurs and I was in and out of the sessions.
"As a young scholar just looking up to someone like Scott and training with him it was more like I was in awe of him.
"Hopefully if I do get the chance to play against him it will be respect on both sides, but I will go out and try to win."
Parker, 36, is no longer a guaranteed starter at Fulham, with half of his 24 Sky Bet Championship appearances coming as a substitute this season.
Parker made 50 top-flight appearances for Spurs
However, the former England international retains a special status with Winks, who has recalled how Parker called him in for some specific, individual feedback.
"Being a midfielder himself. He was coming to the end of his career at Spurs and he was looking more to the coaching side," Winks said.
"Obviously he has a lot of advice to pass on and me being a young player coming through the academy I was just trying to get as much advice as possible. Scott just seemed to be perfect for that.
"I remember there was one session after training I went into a room with him and we watched clips back of his game and he talked me through what he thought was good in his game and what I needed to watch back and do myself.
"He is just an all-round midfielder. He has captained England, he is a top player - his passing, his tackling, his mentality.
"When he goes on the pitch, he always gives 100 per cent and that is what I like to emulate as well."
Latest Nigeria News
- Monaco’s Diakhaby signs three-year contract with Huddersfield
- Liverpool's ¬62.5m offer for Alisson 'irrefusable' for Roma - Francesco Totti
- Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger not in running to become next Japan manager
- Liverpool's Naby Keita always wanted to be Steven Gerrard as a kid
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Barcelona coming in with £55m-plus bid for Chelsea's Willian
- Gor Mahia shed goal-shy image with four in CAF romp
- Ethiopia Appoints Abraham Mebratu as Head Coach
- Brighton sign South Africa star Tau
- Mwase: Malawi needs nothing but victory
- Elite Beach Soccer referees gear up for Sharm El Sheikh
- Mahrez shows glimpse of City prowess
- Transfer Talk: Barcelona coming in with £55m-plus bid for Chelsea's Willian
- Liverpool's Naby Keita emulated 'boss' Steven Gerrard as a kid
- Asaba 2018: AFN invites 61 athletes to camp
- Lawal warns F’Eagles over Mauritania
- Stakeholders raise the alarm over league suspension
- Thai cave boys relive ‘moment of miracle’
- Stars, flops of Russia 2018 World Cup
- Brazil and PSG defender Dani Alves slams Neymar memes: It's not a joke
- Chelsea need 'best player' Eden Hazard to stay - Cesc Fabregas
- David De Gea will stay at Manchester United because of fans - Ander Herrera
- Transfer Talk: Real Madrid ready £112 million bid for Eden Hazard, also targeting Mauro Icardi
- VIDEO: Goalkeeper Alisson’s wife celebrates husband’s $84m move to Liverpool
- Madrid's return to Galactico spending
- Leicester City seal signing of Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward
- I will help Liverpool win title, says Fabinho
- Croatia’s Caleta-Car signs five-year contract with Marseille
- German federation bosses are ‘amateurs’ — Bayern’s Rummenigge
- Liverpool's Mohamed Salah sent Alisson text messages urging him to join club
- Neymar: I am staying at Paris Saint-Germain and want to win with them
- Kylian Mbappe ahead of where Thierry Henry was at same age - Didier Deschamps
- Barcelona told Ajax's Frenkie de Jong will not leave this summer
- Tottenham's Son Heung-Min signs new five-year contract until 2023
- Manchester United's Alexis Sanchez 'has to play' vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Jose Mourinho
- Conte to sue Chelsea over delayed sacking
- Chelsea prepare for life under new manager Sarri in Australia
- Sports court annuls AC Milan Europa League ban
- Nigeria host Mauritania as qualifiers reach final lap
- Zambia bank on positive away run
- Liverpool title talk is premature