Harry Winks used to be "in awe" of Tottenham mentor Scott Parker, but will not let up if they face each other on FA Cup duty.
Parker's current club Fulham host Winks' Tottenham in the FA Cup fifth round on Sunday, with both midfielders looking to earn rare starts for their sides.
Winks was just 16 when Parker led Spurs into the Champions League under Harry Redknapp in 2012, but the 21-year-old is now setting his sights on achieving his old team-mate's success.
"He was a top player and a top person as well," Winks said of Parker. "He was great with me, always giving me advice, and his career speaks for itself and he's a player I'd love to aspire to get to one day.
Winks has made 17 Premier League appearances in a breakthrough campaign for Spurs this season
"I think when I first trained with the first team he was near the end of his time at Spurs and I was in and out of the sessions.
"As a young scholar just looking up to someone like Scott and training with him it was more like I was in awe of him.
"Hopefully if I do get the chance to play against him it will be respect on both sides, but I will go out and try to win."
Parker, 36, is no longer a guaranteed starter at Fulham, with half of his 24 Sky Bet Championship appearances coming as a substitute this season.
Parker made 50 top-flight appearances for Spurs
However, the former England international retains a special status with Winks, who has recalled how Parker called him in for some specific, individual feedback.
"Being a midfielder himself. He was coming to the end of his career at Spurs and he was looking more to the coaching side," Winks said.
"Obviously he has a lot of advice to pass on and me being a young player coming through the academy I was just trying to get as much advice as possible. Scott just seemed to be perfect for that.
"I remember there was one session after training I went into a room with him and we watched clips back of his game and he talked me through what he thought was good in his game and what I needed to watch back and do myself.
"He is just an all-round midfielder. He has captained England, he is a top player - his passing, his tackling, his mentality.
"When he goes on the pitch, he always gives 100 per cent and that is what I like to emulate as well."
Latest Nigeria News
- Man City have found killer instinct – Guardiola
- Barca roll on calmly amidst Catalan chaos
- Mourinho's interest put Dier 'in a compromising position' - Pochettino
- Can Spurs finally beat Liverpool?
- Arsenal's Arsene Wenger 'frightened' by prospect of retiring as manager
- Terriers punish Lindelof, Mata
- Eagles, Argentina friendly for Nov.14
- Quadri, Assar crash out of W’Cup
- Americans use my Olymipic medal to motivate their kids — Yusuf-Olukoju
- Barcelona's Ernesto Valverde keeping faith in Luis Suarez despite misses
- Malaga's Luis Hernandez calls Barcelona's controversial opening goal 'absurd'
- Manchester United preparing January swoop for Valencia's Carlos Soler
- Barcelona win after controversial goal while Valencia thrash Sevilla
- Man City thrash Burnley 3-0
- Nigeria to play Argentina in November
- Mesut Ozil denies Man United links; Barca make final Philippe Coutinho bid
- Man Utd shocked by Huddersfield, City go 5 points clear, Chelsea beat Watford
- Chelsea still in title hunt with dramatic comeback win vs. Watford
- Antonio Conte insists he's not feeling pressure after Chelsea beat Watford
- Man United stunned at Huddersfield
- Jose Mourinho: Man United players must explain lack of desire in defeat
- WATCH: Burley reviews Saturday's action
- Pep Guardiola: Man City's five-point lead not 'significant' in October
- Aguero equals Man City scoring record
- ITTF World Cup: Quadri hopes to avoid World number one Ma Long
- Aruna Quadri crashes out of ITTF World Cup
- BREAKING: Man Utd lose 2-1 at Huddersfield
- English Premier League results
- Mourinho says he is judged harshly because of success
- Luis Suarez to sit out Uruguay friendlies
- Neymar a mentor for Mbappe at PSG says Marquinhos
- Chelsea losing at home to Watford
- Barcelona's Luis Suarez to miss Uruguay friendlies to aid knee recovery
- Diego Simeone: Atletico Madrid will find 'right path' amid struggles
- Barcelona won't leave Spain regardless of Catalonia situation - Bartomeu
- Zinedine Zidane hits back at Gary Lineker over Karim Benzema remarks
- Barcelona planning to offer Lionel Messi 'lifetime' contract - CEO Grau
- EPL: Talk is cheap as Wenger eyes more misery for Everton
- Broadcasters list
- N'Diaye: Mali's natural-born goalscore