Harry Winks used to be "in awe" of Tottenham mentor Scott Parker, but will not let up if they face each other on FA Cup duty.
Parker's current club Fulham host Winks' Tottenham in the FA Cup fifth round on Sunday, with both midfielders looking to earn rare starts for their sides.
Winks was just 16 when Parker led Spurs into the Champions League under Harry Redknapp in 2012, but the 21-year-old is now setting his sights on achieving his old team-mate's success.
"He was a top player and a top person as well," Winks said of Parker. "He was great with me, always giving me advice, and his career speaks for itself and he's a player I'd love to aspire to get to one day.
Winks has made 17 Premier League appearances in a breakthrough campaign for Spurs this season
"I think when I first trained with the first team he was near the end of his time at Spurs and I was in and out of the sessions.
"As a young scholar just looking up to someone like Scott and training with him it was more like I was in awe of him.
"Hopefully if I do get the chance to play against him it will be respect on both sides, but I will go out and try to win."
Parker, 36, is no longer a guaranteed starter at Fulham, with half of his 24 Sky Bet Championship appearances coming as a substitute this season.
Parker made 50 top-flight appearances for Spurs
However, the former England international retains a special status with Winks, who has recalled how Parker called him in for some specific, individual feedback.
"Being a midfielder himself. He was coming to the end of his career at Spurs and he was looking more to the coaching side," Winks said.
"Obviously he has a lot of advice to pass on and me being a young player coming through the academy I was just trying to get as much advice as possible. Scott just seemed to be perfect for that.
"I remember there was one session after training I went into a room with him and we watched clips back of his game and he talked me through what he thought was good in his game and what I needed to watch back and do myself.
"He is just an all-round midfielder. He has captained England, he is a top player - his passing, his tackling, his mentality.
"When he goes on the pitch, he always gives 100 per cent and that is what I like to emulate as well."
Latest Nigeria News
- Sevilla v Manchester United Champions League fact file
- Sergio Aguero clashes with Wigan fan on pitch, FA likely to investigate
- City must regroup from Wigan shock
- Cristiano Ronaldo nominated for Portuguese Player of the Year award
- Barcelona clash excites Chelsea boss
- Seun, Akuoma, Ngozi set for bobsleigh
- Falcons face Ghana in WAFU Cup semis
- Akeredolu rewards Ondo athletes with cash
- Moses, Oshoala win Aiteo/NFF awards
- City's complacency costs them
- Man United prioritise Real Madrid's Kroos as key summer transfer target
- Lionel Messi, Barcelona aren't invincible - Chelsea's Pedro
- Wigan end Man City's quadruple dreams
- Eintracht Frankfurt fans protest Monday game with tennis ball toss
- Pep Guardiola plays down tunnel row, accepts Fabian Delph red card
- Sergio Aguero appears to clash with Wigan fan on pitch
- Ivan Rakitic 'very' scared Andres Iniesta could leave Barcelona
- Champions League: Bayern give Heynckes selection headache
- Chelsea vs Barcelona Champions League fact file
- Real's win doesn't 'fix' their problems
- LIVE GameCast: Wigan vs. Man City
- Eden Hazard: I'm a 'completely different' player than Lionel Messi
- Antonio Conte: Chelsea are 'prepared to suffer' at Barcelona
- VAR to debut in Africa at Saturday’s Super Cup
- Youssef: Makassa can rewrite the books
- Kenya coach Put resigns after three months
- 100 volunteers quit Olympic, condemn assigned jobs
- VAR goes live for Total CAF Super Cup
- Ahmad, Infantino in Sao Tome
- Kano Pillars defender, Udoji dies in auto crash
- Arsenal announce record shirt deal with Emirates
- Olympics reels as ‘clean’ Russian curler hit by doping case
- Cameroon, Ghana, join South Africa for Uruguay
- Simba expects tough Gendarmerie reverse
- Boisterous Kotoko eye CARA scalp
- Wolaitta Dicha hoping to breaks on Zimamoto in Hawassa
- Ghana Champions Aduana Stars READY For Al Tahaddy
- Chelsea's Cesc Fabregas: I speak to Barcelona friends less with game coming up
- Eden Hazard happy at Chelsea; leaves door open for exit amid Real Madrid, PSG links
- Transfer Rater: Marcos Rojo to PSG, Kalidou Koulibaly to Arsenal