Portland Timbers kicked off the new MLS season with a 5-1 thrashing of expansion side Minnesota United on Friday.
Fanendo Adi and Diego Valeri scored twice for the 2015 MLS Cup champions, who are desperate to atone for a disappointing defence of their title last season when they failed to reach the play-offs.
Lawrence Olum also netted for Portland, while Christian Ramirez replied for Minnesota, who are one of two expansion teams to join the MLS this season along with Atlanta United FC.
But the rookie club managed by former Everton striker Adrian Heath can expect a challenging first season if Friday's display in Oregon is anything to go by.
Portland always looked in control and took the lead after only 14 minutes when veteran defender Olum hooked in a looping effort from a Valeri corner.
Valeri made it 2-0 in the 48th minute, cleverly directing his header into the far corner after fellow Argentine Sebastian Blanco whipped in a superb cross from the right flank.
Minnesota forward Ramirez set up a nervous finish in the 79th minute, when he drilled home a low shot from the edge of the area to make it 2-1.
But Portland restored their two-goal cushion almost immediately, when Adi was hauled down inside the area by Minnesota defender Vadim Demidov.
Valeri stepped up to take the penalty and hit a venomous spot-kick into the side netting that gave Minnesota 'keeper John Alvbage no chance.
In the closing minutes Adi got on the scoresheet, picking up a perfectly weighted pass by Darlington Nagbe, rounding Alvbage and finishing for 4-1.
It got better moments later when the powerful Adi burst clear of the Minnesota defence once more and slammed his finish past Alvbage for the fifth.
Latest Nigeria News
- Mourinho's interest put Dier 'in a compromising position' - Pochettino
- Can Spurs finally beat Liverpool?
- Arsenal's Arsene Wenger 'frightened' by prospect of retiring as manager
- Terriers punish Lindelof, Mata
- Eagles, Argentina friendly for Nov.14
- Quadri, Assar crash out of W’Cup
- Americans use my Olymipic medal to motivate their kids — Yusuf-Olukoju
- Barcelona's Ernesto Valverde keeping faith in Luis Suarez despite misses
- Malaga's Luis Hernandez calls Barcelona's controversial opening goal 'absurd'
- Manchester United preparing January swoop for Valencia's Carlos Soler
- Barcelona win after controversial goal while Valencia thrash Sevilla
- Man City thrash Burnley 3-0
- Nigeria to play Argentina in November
- Mesut Ozil denies Man United links; Barca make final Philippe Coutinho bid
- Man Utd shocked by Huddersfield, City go 5 points clear, Chelsea beat Watford
- Chelsea still in title hunt with dramatic comeback win vs. Watford
- Antonio Conte insists he's not feeling pressure after Chelsea beat Watford
- Man United stunned at Huddersfield
- Jose Mourinho: Man United players must explain lack of desire in defeat
- WATCH: Burley reviews Saturday's action
- Pep Guardiola: Man City's five-point lead not 'significant' in October
- Aguero equals Man City scoring record
- ITTF World Cup: Quadri hopes to avoid World number one Ma Long
- Aruna Quadri crashes out of ITTF World Cup
- BREAKING: Man Utd lose 2-1 at Huddersfield
- English Premier League results
- Mourinho says he is judged harshly because of success
- Luis Suarez to sit out Uruguay friendlies
- Neymar a mentor for Mbappe at PSG says Marquinhos
- Chelsea losing at home to Watford
- Barcelona's Luis Suarez to miss Uruguay friendlies to aid knee recovery
- Diego Simeone: Atletico Madrid will find 'right path' amid struggles
- Barcelona won't leave Spain regardless of Catalonia situation - Bartomeu
- Zinedine Zidane hits back at Gary Lineker over Karim Benzema remarks
- Barcelona planning to offer Lionel Messi 'lifetime' contract - CEO Grau
- EPL: Talk is cheap as Wenger eyes more misery for Everton
- Broadcasters list
- N'Diaye: Mali's natural-born goalscore
- Champions League history can inspire Ahly
- Everton charged by UEFA, ban fan for punch at Lyon player