More Nigerians crashed out in the preliminary rounds of the 2018 Lagos International Squash Classics at the Molade Okoya-Thomas Hall of the Teslim Balogun Stadium in Lagos on Tuesday.
The competition enters its main draw on Wednesday after the completion of the preliminary rounds on Tuesday.
Nigeria’s Adegoke Onaopemipo lost 3-0 in the second round to South Africa’s Jean-Pierre Brits while Abdurahaman Yusuf lost 3-0 to Egypt’s Ahmed Hosny in the same round.
Femi Shedara lost 3-0 to Pakistan’s Abdulmalik Khan while Brits defeated Nigeria’s Sodiq Taiwo 3-2. Kehinde Samuel also lost 3-0 to Sean Conroy of Ireland.
In the women’s category, Yemisi Taiwo lost 3-0 to Idowu Ogunyemi in one of the preliminary rounds.
In the men’s main draw, Karim Fathi of Egypt takes on Sebastien Bonmalais of France on Wednesday while Joe Green of England takes on fellow Englishman Angus Gilams.
Brits takes on Mohamed El Sherbini of Egypt in another tie while India’s Aadit Zaveri faces Egypt’s Karim El Hammary. Egypt’s Mohamed Reda tackles Portugal’s Rui Soares.
Conroy battles Switzerland’s Dimitris Steinmann for a place in the quarterfinals while the only Nigerian in the main draw Babatunde Ajagbe engages Shehab Essam of Egypt. Hosny takes on countryman Mazen Gamal in the last match.
In the women’s main draw, there are more Nigerians in action as top seed Eva Fertekova of the Czech Republic clashes against Busayo Olatunji while Veronica Sunday takes on Dunni Okikiola and Salma Youssef of Egypt battles Faidat Soliu. Taiwo Ebilemi is up against Omolola Ajayi.
The Professional Squash Association-certified tournament as a prize money of $20,000 with the men playing for $15,000 while the women will share $5,000.
The competition ends on Saturday.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Gregory van der Wiel to leave Toronto FC after training camp bust-up with Greg Vanney - source
- Transfer Talk: Martin Skriniar dismisses talk of Manchester United move
- Barcelona boss Valverde defends Messi omission in Copa del Rey defeat
- Malcom, Philippe Coutinho both struggle again as Barca dig another Copa del Rey hole
- Nicol: De Jong good enough to play straight away
- Higuain will score goals, but is that enough?
- Dani Alves, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting both 7/10 but Neymar injured in PSG's cup win
- Portland Timbers pursuing Tigres striker Julian Quinones - source
- Central Coast Mariners sign former Reading star Jem Karacan
- Jets weather late Mariners storm
- Sydney FC hold on for all three points
- Adelaide and Perth settle for goalless draw
- Berhalter hopeful young USMNT will absorb new concepts
- AC Milan sign Krzysztof Piatek as replacement for Chelsea's Gonzalo Higuain
- Balotelli hoping to thrive under Marseille's big expectations
- Phil Neville: Lionesses among the World Cup favourites
- Fulham Aboubakar Kamara arrested for incident at training ground - reports
- Could Diawara step up should Allan join PSG?
- Landon Donovan returns to professional soccer with San Diego Sockers in arena league
- Aguero adds to Man City's aggregate lead
- For most clubs, losing a star like Frenkie De Jong would be a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Barcelona sign Frenkie de Jong from Ajax for ¬75m, joins in summer
- CAF host Continental Seminar for Technical Directors in Cairo
- Beckham: I have such fond memories of Salford
- Henry: Monaco owners will decide my future
- Higuain to sign for Chelsea: Sarri says Milan problems not a 'failure'
- Beckham joins Class of 92 teammates at Salford City
- Pochettino: Alli injury blow comes at 'worst moment' for Tottenham
- Aaron Ramsey leaving Arsenal 'comfort zone' for Juventus - Ryan Giggs
- Ballack: Hazard is a little too calm at Chelsea
- Do Ajax have the best academy in world football?
- Giggs: Juventus' quality will improve Ramsey
- For most clubs, losing top talent is a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Man United charity auction: Solskjaer's watch raises twice as much as Mourinho's
- Eric Bailly from Manchester United to Arsenal 'impossible' in January - source
- Was it wrong for Man City to beat Burton 9-0? Or are critics missing the point of football?
- Banyana Banyana, Sweden share spoils in Cape Town
- Nigeria name Flying Eagles squad for Niger 2019
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Real Madrid to beat Man City to £90m Paulo Dybala
- Rumour Rater: Arsenal eye Gelson Martins on loan; PSG want Julian Weigl