It will be a full house on the training pitch for Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr on Wednesday as most of the players he invited for the friendly affair with Poland in Wroclaw on Friday arrived at the Super Eagles’ camp in the Polish city on Tuesday.
The Eagles are scheduled to travel to London for another warm-up clash against Serbia on March 27 ahead of the 2018 World Cup in Russia from June 14 to July 15.
Nigeria face DR Congo in Uyo or Abuja, before clashing against England at Wembley on June 2.
The Wroclaw camp opened on Monday with Bursaspor defender William Ekong, Arsenal attacker Alex Iwobi, Hull City defender Ola Aina, Ado Den Haag right-back Tyronne Ebuehi, utility Amkar Perm player Brian Idowu and Mainz 05 centre-back Leon Balogun.
But the arrival of 16 players including injury-prone Torino midfielder Joel Obi, Chelsea star Victor Moses, Leicester City midfield general Wilfred Ndidi, who is reportedly high on Liverpool’s wanted list, China-based striker Odion Ighalo, CSKA Moscow’s Ahmed Musa and struggling Leicester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho set the camp alight on Tuesday night.
Others are Israel-based midfielder John Ogu, Turkey-based Ogenyi Onazi, Standard Liege’s Uche Agbo, Gent’s Moses Simon, young Deportivo La Coruna goalkeeper Francis Uzoho, Kenneth Omeruo, Elderson Echiejile, Stephen Eze, Abdullahi Shehu and Chidozie Awazien.
The Nigeria Football Federation confirmed on Tuesday that Enyimba keeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa and his South Africa-based rival Daniel Akpeyi would hit camp on Wednesday.
But Rohr’s plans for the fixture against Biało-czerwoni (the White and Reds), who finished third at the 1974 and 1982 World Cups, appears to have been dealt a huge blow with Mikel Obi a major doubt for the match.
The administrator of the team Dayo Enebi said Tianjin Teda star Mikel had been trying to renew his work permit in China and would likely miss Friday’s game.
“We all had been hoping that the renewal would come in good time for him to fly to Poland. As it is now, it is not likely that he would make the trip,” thenff.com quoted Enebi as saying.
The NFF ruled out injured Las Palmas midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo from the encounter along with Zamalek winger Junior Ajayi, who was unable to secure a visa to enter Poland.
However, the federation said the players would be in London for Tuesday’s clash against Serbia at The Hive, Canons Park.
Meanwhile, Poland coach Adam Nawalka says the clash against Nigeria as well as Tuesday’s fixture against South Korea will help his team prepare for the World Cup. Poland are drawn in Group H alongside Japan, Senegal and Colombia at the world football’s showpiece in Russia.
“I’m very happy with my opponents. Both Nigeria and South Korea present a very similar style to our rivals at the World Cup, as well as Chile in June,” Nawalka told the Poland Football Federation official website.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Monaco’s Diakhaby signs three-year contract with Huddersfield
- Liverpool's ¬62.5m offer for Alisson 'irrefusable' for Roma - Francesco Totti
- Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger not in running to become next Japan manager
- Liverpool's Naby Keita always wanted to be Steven Gerrard as a kid
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Barcelona coming in with £55m-plus bid for Chelsea's Willian
- Gor Mahia shed goal-shy image with four in CAF romp
- Ethiopia Appoints Abraham Mebratu as Head Coach
- Brighton sign South Africa star Tau
- Mwase: Malawi needs nothing but victory
- Elite Beach Soccer referees gear up for Sharm El Sheikh
- Mahrez shows glimpse of City prowess
- Transfer Talk: Barcelona coming in with £55m-plus bid for Chelsea's Willian
- Liverpool's Naby Keita emulated 'boss' Steven Gerrard as a kid
- Asaba 2018: AFN invites 61 athletes to camp
- Lawal warns F’Eagles over Mauritania
- Stakeholders raise the alarm over league suspension
- Thai cave boys relive ‘moment of miracle’
- Stars, flops of Russia 2018 World Cup
- Brazil and PSG defender Dani Alves slams Neymar memes: It's not a joke
- Chelsea need 'best player' Eden Hazard to stay - Cesc Fabregas
- David De Gea will stay at Manchester United because of fans - Ander Herrera
- Transfer Talk: Real Madrid ready £112 million bid for Eden Hazard, also targeting Mauro Icardi
- VIDEO: Goalkeeper Alisson’s wife celebrates husband’s $84m move to Liverpool
- Madrid's return to Galactico spending
- Leicester City seal signing of Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward
- I will help Liverpool win title, says Fabinho
- Croatia’s Caleta-Car signs five-year contract with Marseille
- German federation bosses are ‘amateurs’ — Bayern’s Rummenigge
- Liverpool's Mohamed Salah sent Alisson text messages urging him to join club
- Neymar: I am staying at Paris Saint-Germain and want to win with them
- Kylian Mbappe ahead of where Thierry Henry was at same age - Didier Deschamps
- Barcelona told Ajax's Frenkie de Jong will not leave this summer
- Tottenham's Son Heung-Min signs new five-year contract until 2023
- Manchester United's Alexis Sanchez 'has to play' vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Jose Mourinho
- Conte to sue Chelsea over delayed sacking
- Chelsea prepare for life under new manager Sarri in Australia
- Sports court annuls AC Milan Europa League ban
- Nigeria host Mauritania as qualifiers reach final lap
- Zambia bank on positive away run
- Liverpool title talk is premature