Tottenham have apologised for a “wholly unacceptable” question asking whether “a woman’s place is in the home” that found its way into a survey sent to fans in the United States.
Posts on social media emerged from supporters of the Premier League club in America revealing they had received a club email with the subject heading “Calling all US Spurs fans: tell us what you think”.
A screengrab of the email, complete with a club crest at the top, said Spurs wanted to find out about fans’ views.
Supporters were invited to complete a survey, which the Premier League club later confirmed had been compiled by a third party.
One of the statements presented read: “A woman’s place is in the home”. Below were the options “Definitely agree”, “Tend to agree”, “Neither agree nor disagree”, “Tend to disagree” and “Definitely disagree”.
Several US-based Spurs supporters said they had received the same question while completing the survey.
In a club statement issued late on Tuesday, a spokesman for Tottenham confirmed the question had been swiftly removed once the “regrettable oversight” was discovered.
“The survey questions were compiled by a third party on behalf of the club. The inclusion of this question in a club survey was wholly unacceptable and a regrettable oversight,” the spokesman said.
“It has been immediately removed from the survey for any other fans now looking to fill this out.
“We sincerely apologise to anyone offended by its initial inclusion.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Sanchez admits to rough start at Man United
- CAF Champions League group draw
- Atletico Madrid's Antoine Griezmann: Future will be decided before World Cup
- Ousmane Dembele needs right attitude to make it at Barcelona - Xavi
- Javi Martinez: Spain boss Julen Lopetegui hasn't explained squad snub to me
- Prosecutor seeks five-year jail for Xabi Alonso over tax fraud
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw being monitored by Everton - sources
- 'Outrageous' dive by Chilean player set to lead to punishment
- Transfer Rater: Hector Bellerin to Manchester United, Nabil Fekir to Arsenal
- Man United discuss song sheets to boost Old Trafford atmosphere at fan forum
- Xabi Alonso tax fraud case: Spanish prosecutors seek five-year sentence
- Usman targets ABU title at GOtv Boxing Night
- Nigerians suffer humiliating defeats at Lagos Squash Classics
- Why I’m the best in the world – Ronaldo
- Mikel doubtful, Etebo out as Moses, Ighalo hit Poland
- I would like to play with Neymar – Pogba
- World Cup squads: Who is on the plane to Russia, and who is in limbo?
- Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo asked about life in China - Luiz Felipe Scolari
- Brazil, PSG doctors in 'total harmony' on Neymar injury - Rodrigo Lasmar
- Starbucks food, sweeteners banned at England team hotel - source
- Transfer Rater: Mohamed Salah to Barcelona, Aaron Ramsey to Manchester United
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea among many interested in Toby Alderweireld
- Ronaldo's 2002 World Cup haircut was a deliberate distraction
- Man United's Luke Shaw can still be among 'best in the world' - Ashley Young
- Lionel Messi trains with Argentina teammates at Manchester City facility
- Putting Ronaldo's form into context
- Messi joins Argentina training ahead of Italy clash
- From non-league to World Cup, Pope dreams of keeping for England
- French Open champions to receive record €2.2m
- Pogba misses France training
- CAF Confederation Cup play-offs draw seeding
- Super Eagles camp abuzz for friendlies against Poland, Serbia
- Four countries weigh diplomatic snub of Russia’s World Cup
- Draw Procedures for Interclubs Group Phase
- Things have to change if trophies are to come, says Benitez
- I always believe nobody is better than me, says Ronaldo
- Facts and figures
- Emam, Fish & Gilberto named Ambassadors for Interclubs
- Total CL & CC official draw: broadcasters list
- Kehinde targets unbreakable Paralympic world record