Prestige Otaben with agency report
Former Nigeria coach Austin Eguavoen has told the Super Eagles that beating Croatia in their first game at the Russia 2018 World Cup will give them an edge in the race to reach the second round of the tournament.
Nigeria and Croatia are in Group D of the competition alongside Iceland and Argentina. The will play Croatia at the Kaliningrad Stadium, Kaliningrad, on June 16.
“I am very confident Nigeria will qualify from that group but it is easier said than done,’’ Eguavoen told allnigeriasoccer.com.
“First game is always key to any tournament. If we win that game (against Croatia), we will go all the way.’’
The former Eagles defender said Rohr should rotate between 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 formations ahead of the tournament in Russia, saying that his team should be unpredictable.
He said, “Sometimes in a game your plans don’t go according to what you want to do, you can also change system without making substitutions, from a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 he can change to a 3-4-3.
“So far so good I think 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 will be okay for us. We need a player who is very intelligent and technically strong to play just behind the striker.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Gregory van der Wiel to leave Toronto FC after training camp bust-up with Greg Vanney - source
- Transfer Talk: Martin Skriniar dismisses talk of Manchester United move
- Barcelona boss Valverde defends Messi omission in Copa del Rey defeat
- Malcom, Philippe Coutinho both struggle again as Barca dig another Copa del Rey hole
- Nicol: De Jong good enough to play straight away
- Higuain will score goals, but is that enough?
- Dani Alves, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting both 7/10 but Neymar injured in PSG's cup win
- Portland Timbers pursuing Tigres striker Julian Quinones - source
- Central Coast Mariners sign former Reading star Jem Karacan
- Jets weather late Mariners storm
- Sydney FC hold on for all three points
- Adelaide and Perth settle for goalless draw
- Berhalter hopeful young USMNT will absorb new concepts
- AC Milan sign Krzysztof Piatek as replacement for Chelsea's Gonzalo Higuain
- Balotelli hoping to thrive under Marseille's big expectations
- Phil Neville: Lionesses among the World Cup favourites
- Fulham Aboubakar Kamara arrested for incident at training ground - reports
- Could Diawara step up should Allan join PSG?
- Landon Donovan returns to professional soccer with San Diego Sockers in arena league
- Aguero adds to Man City's aggregate lead
- For most clubs, losing a star like Frenkie De Jong would be a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Barcelona sign Frenkie de Jong from Ajax for ¬75m, joins in summer
- CAF host Continental Seminar for Technical Directors in Cairo
- Beckham: I have such fond memories of Salford
- Henry: Monaco owners will decide my future
- Higuain to sign for Chelsea: Sarri says Milan problems not a 'failure'
- Beckham joins Class of 92 teammates at Salford City
- Pochettino: Alli injury blow comes at 'worst moment' for Tottenham
- Aaron Ramsey leaving Arsenal 'comfort zone' for Juventus - Ryan Giggs
- Ballack: Hazard is a little too calm at Chelsea
- Do Ajax have the best academy in world football?
- Giggs: Juventus' quality will improve Ramsey
- For most clubs, losing top talent is a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Man United charity auction: Solskjaer's watch raises twice as much as Mourinho's
- Eric Bailly from Manchester United to Arsenal 'impossible' in January - source
- Was it wrong for Man City to beat Burton 9-0? Or are critics missing the point of football?
- Banyana Banyana, Sweden share spoils in Cape Town
- Nigeria name Flying Eagles squad for Niger 2019
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Real Madrid to beat Man City to £90m Paulo Dybala
- Rumour Rater: Arsenal eye Gelson Martins on loan; PSG want Julian Weigl