D’Tigers captain Ike Diogu tops coach Alex Nwora’s 12-man list for the Australia 2018 Commonwealth Games released by the Nigeria Basketball Federation on Tuesday.
However, Christopher Obekpa, Michael Efevberha and Bryant Mbamalu, who put up impressive performances at the 2018 World Cup qualifiers in Mali last month, were dropped for the Games.
Thirty-four-year-old Diogu, a 2015 AfroBasket winner and veteran of the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games leads the team made up of six home and six overseas-based players.
The five other overseas-based players invited by Nwora are relatively unknown.
Hard-working guard Uchenna Ireogbu is set for his D’Tigers debut in Australia after an impressive outing for Stony Brooks in the 2016/17 NCAA season. He is joined by fellow US-based trio Olantunji Graham, Ofoegbu Chima and Achiuwa Onyekachi. They would join the rest of their teammates in Australia from the US, a statement from the NBBF said.
Completing the list of overseas-based player is Orizu Ifeanyi, who features for the Far Eastern University in the Philippines.
Kano Pillars guard Azuoma Dike leads the home-based stars, which also include his Pillars teammates Abdul Yahaya and Dung Eli Abraham.
Mark Mentors’ Musa Usman, regarded as the rebound specialist on the domestic scene, also made the squad to the Commonwealth Games after missing out on the World Cup qualifiers in Mali last month.
Gombe Bulls duo Abdulwahab Yakubu and Istifanus Sylvanus complete Nwora’s list for the trip to Australia.
D’Tigers, who are in Group B alongside Australia, New Zealand and Canada, are expected to end their camping on March 22, before proceeding on the long trip to Brisbane on March 23, ahead of their opening game against New Zealand on April 6.
Nwora will be assisted by Aderemi Adewunmi and Mohammed Abdulrahman.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Dominika Cibulkova knocks Halep out of Wuhan Open
- Pogba can never be Man United captain again —Mourinho
- VIDEO: Nigeria’s D’Tigress thrash Argentina
- Oxford United 0-3 Man City: Mahrez scoring continues
- West Brom 0-3 Crystal Palace: Townsend dazzles
- Inter Milan 2-1 Fiorentina: D'Ambrosio delivers for Nerazzurri
- Tottenham's new stadium to be ready before Christmas - Mauricio Pochettino
- Phil Foden 9/10 as Man City rout Oxford United in Carabao Cup
- Derby County knock out Man United, increase the pressure on Jose Mourinho
- Inter Milan earn lucky win against Fiorentina despite second-half lapse
- Can Harare City's Muyambo become Zimbabwe's next great defensive midfielder?
- Manchester United 2-2 Derby County: Derby through on penalties
- Manchester City teenager Phil Foden can star for club for 10 years - Pep Guardiola
- Real Madrid’s midfielder to miss derby due to appendix surgery
- Sarri will help Hazard reach his potential, insists Zola
- Chelsea are realistic title contenders –Liverpool’s Klopp
- Andy Murray wins first round at Shenzhen Open
- Newcastle boss Benitez charged over ref comments
- Nigeria to move Libya clash to Uyo
- Young Galaxy fan delivers impressive national anthem
- Jose Mourinho tells Paul Pogba he'll never captain Manchester United again - sources
- Messi is the greatest ever despite The Best snub, says Samuel Eto'o
- Barcelona's Ernesto Valverde: Award shows turning football into 'show business'
- FIFA to introduce reforms for transfers, loans once they receive approval
- Hislop: No end to Mourinho-Pogba feud
- Mourinho's marvels past & present
- Transfer Rater: Real eyeing Fekir? Sane to Juventus?
- Serie A Predictor: Roma and Milan to halt slide?
- Run NFF as modern football organisation, Balogun advises Pinnick
- FIFA to reintroduce agent licences
- Manchester United expect higher revenue, core earnings for 2019
- Players have times they don’t score, Klopp defends Salah
- Wozniacki, Kerber off to fast start at Wuhan Open
- Cousin appointed sole Gabon coach after Aubameyang’s father rejects job
- 2018 Maritime Cup starts
- Police athletics trials set to hold
- Modric named world’s best,ends Ronaldo-Messi reign
- Stoke star fathers three children in six weeks
- Joshua reveals illness
- Red Bulls' Robles & Davis showcase FIFA 19 skills