D’Tigers captain Ike Diogu tops coach Alex Nwora’s 12-man list for the Australia 2018 Commonwealth Games released by the Nigeria Basketball Federation on Tuesday.
However, Christopher Obekpa, Michael Efevberha and Bryant Mbamalu, who put up impressive performances at the 2018 World Cup qualifiers in Mali last month, were dropped for the Games.
Thirty-four-year-old Diogu, a 2015 AfroBasket winner and veteran of the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games leads the team made up of six home and six overseas-based players.
The five other overseas-based players invited by Nwora are relatively unknown.
Hard-working guard Uchenna Ireogbu is set for his D’Tigers debut in Australia after an impressive outing for Stony Brooks in the 2016/17 NCAA season. He is joined by fellow US-based trio Olantunji Graham, Ofoegbu Chima and Achiuwa Onyekachi. They would join the rest of their teammates in Australia from the US, a statement from the NBBF said.
Completing the list of overseas-based player is Orizu Ifeanyi, who features for the Far Eastern University in the Philippines.
Kano Pillars guard Azuoma Dike leads the home-based stars, which also include his Pillars teammates Abdul Yahaya and Dung Eli Abraham.
Mark Mentors’ Musa Usman, regarded as the rebound specialist on the domestic scene, also made the squad to the Commonwealth Games after missing out on the World Cup qualifiers in Mali last month.
Gombe Bulls duo Abdulwahab Yakubu and Istifanus Sylvanus complete Nwora’s list for the trip to Australia.
D’Tigers, who are in Group B alongside Australia, New Zealand and Canada, are expected to end their camping on March 22, before proceeding on the long trip to Brisbane on March 23, ahead of their opening game against New Zealand on April 6.
Nwora will be assisted by Aderemi Adewunmi and Mohammed Abdulrahman.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Sanchez admits to rough start at Man United
- CAF Champions League group draw
- Atletico Madrid's Antoine Griezmann: Future will be decided before World Cup
- Ousmane Dembele needs right attitude to make it at Barcelona - Xavi
- Javi Martinez: Spain boss Julen Lopetegui hasn't explained squad snub to me
- Prosecutor seeks five-year jail for Xabi Alonso over tax fraud
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw being monitored by Everton - sources
- 'Outrageous' dive by Chilean player set to lead to punishment
- Transfer Rater: Hector Bellerin to Manchester United, Nabil Fekir to Arsenal
- Man United discuss song sheets to boost Old Trafford atmosphere at fan forum
- Xabi Alonso tax fraud case: Spanish prosecutors seek five-year sentence
- Usman targets ABU title at GOtv Boxing Night
- Nigerians suffer humiliating defeats at Lagos Squash Classics
- Why I’m the best in the world – Ronaldo
- Mikel doubtful, Etebo out as Moses, Ighalo hit Poland
- I would like to play with Neymar – Pogba
- World Cup squads: Who is on the plane to Russia, and who is in limbo?
- Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo asked about life in China - Luiz Felipe Scolari
- Brazil, PSG doctors in 'total harmony' on Neymar injury - Rodrigo Lasmar
- Starbucks food, sweeteners banned at England team hotel - source
- Transfer Rater: Mohamed Salah to Barcelona, Aaron Ramsey to Manchester United
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea among many interested in Toby Alderweireld
- Ronaldo's 2002 World Cup haircut was a deliberate distraction
- Man United's Luke Shaw can still be among 'best in the world' - Ashley Young
- Lionel Messi trains with Argentina teammates at Manchester City facility
- Putting Ronaldo's form into context
- Messi joins Argentina training ahead of Italy clash
- From non-league to World Cup, Pope dreams of keeping for England
- French Open champions to receive record €2.2m
- Pogba misses France training
- CAF Confederation Cup play-offs draw seeding
- Super Eagles camp abuzz for friendlies against Poland, Serbia
- Four countries weigh diplomatic snub of Russia’s World Cup
- Draw Procedures for Interclubs Group Phase
- Things have to change if trophies are to come, says Benitez
- I always believe nobody is better than me, says Ronaldo
- Facts and figures
- Emam, Fish & Gilberto named Ambassadors for Interclubs
- Total CL & CC official draw: broadcasters list
- Kehinde targets unbreakable Paralympic world record