Peter Dada, Akure
The owner of Premier League club, Sunshine Stars, Ondo State Government, on Tuesday fired the coach of the team Duke Udi.
Henry Abiodun, technical director of the Akure side, was asked by the state government to replace the former Super Eagles midfielder, who saved the team from relegation after he joined them from Osun United last season.
In a statement by the Commissioner for Sports and Youth Development in the state, Mr. Saka Yusuf-Ogunleye, the state government said Udi was sacked over alleged “ misconduct and insubordinationt”.
The statement read in part, “ Following a letter received from the management board of the Ondo State Football Agency on misconduct and insubordination of the head coach of the Sunshine Stars, Duki Udi, the management board and the Ministry of Youth and Sports at a joint meeting today (Tuesday) agreed that the coach should step aside with effect from today and the technical director of the team coach Henry Abiodun should lead the team.”
However, Udi told our correspondent on the telephone that he was not aware of his sacking, insisting he is still with the team.
The former Spain-based player said, “If it is so, that is no problem. I have a one-year contract with the team and if anybody is asking me to leave, they must respect my contract and pay me my money.
“Leaving is not a problem. I just left training and nobody told me anything like that but if stepping aside is the next thing, they have to pay me because I have a one-year contract still running.”
Sunshine are 17th in the Premier League table, with 13 points from 12 matches. They face Yobe Desert Stars on Sunday in Akure.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Gregory van der Wiel to leave Toronto FC after training camp bust-up with Greg Vanney - source
- Transfer Talk: Martin Skriniar dismisses talk of Manchester United move
- Barcelona boss Valverde defends Messi omission in Copa del Rey defeat
- Malcom, Philippe Coutinho both struggle again as Barca dig another Copa del Rey hole
- Nicol: De Jong good enough to play straight away
- Higuain will score goals, but is that enough?
- Dani Alves, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting both 7/10 but Neymar injured in PSG's cup win
- Portland Timbers pursuing Tigres striker Julian Quinones - source
- Central Coast Mariners sign former Reading star Jem Karacan
- Jets weather late Mariners storm
- Sydney FC hold on for all three points
- Adelaide and Perth settle for goalless draw
- Berhalter hopeful young USMNT will absorb new concepts
- AC Milan sign Krzysztof Piatek as replacement for Chelsea's Gonzalo Higuain
- Balotelli hoping to thrive under Marseille's big expectations
- Phil Neville: Lionesses among the World Cup favourites
- Fulham Aboubakar Kamara arrested for incident at training ground - reports
- Could Diawara step up should Allan join PSG?
- Landon Donovan returns to professional soccer with San Diego Sockers in arena league
- Aguero adds to Man City's aggregate lead
- For most clubs, losing a star like Frenkie De Jong would be a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Barcelona sign Frenkie de Jong from Ajax for ¬75m, joins in summer
- CAF host Continental Seminar for Technical Directors in Cairo
- Beckham: I have such fond memories of Salford
- Henry: Monaco owners will decide my future
- Higuain to sign for Chelsea: Sarri says Milan problems not a 'failure'
- Beckham joins Class of 92 teammates at Salford City
- Pochettino: Alli injury blow comes at 'worst moment' for Tottenham
- Aaron Ramsey leaving Arsenal 'comfort zone' for Juventus - Ryan Giggs
- Ballack: Hazard is a little too calm at Chelsea
- Do Ajax have the best academy in world football?
- Giggs: Juventus' quality will improve Ramsey
- For most clubs, losing top talent is a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Man United charity auction: Solskjaer's watch raises twice as much as Mourinho's
- Eric Bailly from Manchester United to Arsenal 'impossible' in January - source
- Was it wrong for Man City to beat Burton 9-0? Or are critics missing the point of football?
- Banyana Banyana, Sweden share spoils in Cape Town
- Nigeria name Flying Eagles squad for Niger 2019
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Real Madrid to beat Man City to £90m Paulo Dybala
- Rumour Rater: Arsenal eye Gelson Martins on loan; PSG want Julian Weigl