Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has described Barcelona’s Andres Iniesta as a “genius” and challenged Eden Hazard to emulate the Spaniard by winning major trophies.
Iniesta faces a race against time to be fit for Wednesday’s Champions League clash at the Camp Nou, with the tie delicately poised following a 1-1 draw in the first leg.
The midfielder has been included in the squad after recovering from a hamstring injury and his return would represent a major boost to Barca’s hopes.
Conte said Chelsea would have to play the “perfect game” to reach the quarter-finals and they will need Hazard to deliver too.
Hazard has grown frustrated in recent weeks with his lone role up front but when asked to compare the Belgian with Iniesta, Conte said: “We’re talking about two different players with different careers. Iniesta won a lot in his career, Hazard has to start winning important trophies.”
On the impact of Iniesta’s possible return, Conte added: “I like to compare him with Andrea Pirlo. We are talking about a genius of the football.
“I don’t know if tomorrow he could play. In this type of game it’s right to face the best players and you don’t hope they will miss out with injury.”
Chelsea were unfortunate only to take a draw from the first leg at Stamford Bridge, where Lionel Messi’s equaliser spoiled an otherwise dominant Blues performance.
But Barca are still unbeaten in La Liga and Messi will be well-rested, having sat out Saturday’s win over Malaga to attend the birth of his third child.
“We must have the game to play with concentration, stay with our head in every moment,” Conte said.
“We have to know there are moments we have to suffer because that is not only for Chelsea but every team against Barcelona must be ready to suffer and be compact.
“With the ball you must then have in your head and your heart the feeling you will have the chance to score.”
Conte said Antonio Rudiger is in contention after recovering from muscle fatigue but Ross Barkley (hamstring) and David Luiz (ankle) are out.
Latest Nigeria News
- I won’t box again if I had Povetkin’s doping issues –Joshua
- Nwakali joins Porto on loan
- Rapes and beatings: The travails of S’Korea’s young athletes
- ‘We aren’t under pressure to win Lagos badminton’
- Aremu joins F’Eagles for Mauritania clash
- 2018 COSAFA Under-17 Championships – DAY 1 WRAP DAY 2 PREVIEW
- Fabinho jokes he'll get Kylian Mbappe to swap PSG for Liverpool
- Pogba's France role no good at United
- Sanchez gets visa to join Manchester United’s US tour
- With 11.4m responses, Ronaldo’s Instagram post becomes fifth most liked of all time
- Jorginho vows to bring fresh style to Chelsea
- Robson: Mourinho took a dig at Pogba in press conference
- Liverpool seal deal for Alisson in world-record goalkeeper transfer
- Cheery up, Mourinho!
- Hislop: Usain Bolt to the A-League is a marketing ploy
- Wilshere hoping to boost England chances with West Ham move
- French World Cup ace Pavard may join Bayern before new season
- Liverpool close in on record €75m deal for Brazil’s Alisson
- Cristiano Ronaldo move to Juventus influenced by Spain tax rate - La Liga chief
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Paul Pogba answered Manchester United critics at World Cup
- Liverpool giving medical to Alisson ahead of 'significant' transfer - Monchi
- Leicester City in talks with Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward - source
- Zinedine Zidane has never been considered as France coach - FFF boss
- Petr Cech fully focused on Arsenal, no Chelsea offers on table - agent
- Mourinho worried by Man United’s ‘very bad’ pre-season
- Balogun eager to kickoff new EPL campaign with Brighton
- ‘We have to collect their bones’: Klopp fears post-World Cup injury woe
- Arsenal youngster Nwakali joins Porto on loan
- French envoy angry at joke that ‘Africa won the World Cup’
- Transfer Talk LIVE: Chelsea and Milan in Alvaro Morata, Gianluigi Donnarumma swap
- Guikan brace sends Gor flying past Yanga
- Transfer Talk LIVE: Manchester United lining up Robert Lewandowski, Thiago moves
- Spending 22 years at Arsenal, my biggest mistake –Wenger
- Athletes kick as AFN hands off domestic competitions
- Russia 2018 Tit Bits: A lesson for African (mis)leaders
- Joshua ready to prove his worth against Povetkin
- Enyimba beat Williamsville 1-0 in Confed Cup
- AYG: Nigeria draw Morocco, Libya in football
- Turkey, Hungary, United States clubs join Central Coast Mariners' race to sign Usain Bolt
- Transfer Talk: Manchester United lining up Robert Lewandowski, Thiago moves