Southampton have approached former Stoke City boss Mark Hughes about taking charge at the struggling Premier League club, according to reports on Tuesday.
Hughes has been lined up to replace Mauricio Pellegrino, who was sacked by Southampton on Monday.
The 54-year-old is reported to have been offered a contract until the end of the season and could be confirmed as Saints boss on Wednesday.
Southampton are hoping to have Pellegrino’s successor in place for Sunday’s FA Cup quarter-final against Wigan Athletic.
Former Manchester United striker Hughes has history with Southampton after making 54 Premier League appearances for them between 1998 and 2000.
The Welshman is said to be ready to bring his regular assistants Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki with him to St Mary’s.
If the deal is completed, Hughes will arrive to find Southampton languishing 17th in the Premier League after just one win in 17 top-flight matches.
Southampton were thrashed 3-0 by fellow strugglers Newcastle United at the weekend and head to fellow strugglers West Ham United on March 31 in their next Premier League match.
Hughes was sacked by Stoke in January after four and a half years, having previously managed Wales, Blackburn, Manchester City, Fulham and QPR.
He will have eight games to ensure Southampton avoid relegation.
Latest Nigeria News
- Sanchez admits to rough start at Man United
- CAF Champions League group draw
- Atletico Madrid's Antoine Griezmann: Future will be decided before World Cup
- Ousmane Dembele needs right attitude to make it at Barcelona - Xavi
- Javi Martinez: Spain boss Julen Lopetegui hasn't explained squad snub to me
- Prosecutor seeks five-year jail for Xabi Alonso over tax fraud
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw being monitored by Everton - sources
- 'Outrageous' dive by Chilean player set to lead to punishment
- Transfer Rater: Hector Bellerin to Manchester United, Nabil Fekir to Arsenal
- Man United discuss song sheets to boost Old Trafford atmosphere at fan forum
- Xabi Alonso tax fraud case: Spanish prosecutors seek five-year sentence
- Usman targets ABU title at GOtv Boxing Night
- Nigerians suffer humiliating defeats at Lagos Squash Classics
- Why I’m the best in the world – Ronaldo
- Mikel doubtful, Etebo out as Moses, Ighalo hit Poland
- I would like to play with Neymar – Pogba
- World Cup squads: Who is on the plane to Russia, and who is in limbo?
- Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo asked about life in China - Luiz Felipe Scolari
- Brazil, PSG doctors in 'total harmony' on Neymar injury - Rodrigo Lasmar
- Starbucks food, sweeteners banned at England team hotel - source
- Transfer Rater: Mohamed Salah to Barcelona, Aaron Ramsey to Manchester United
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea among many interested in Toby Alderweireld
- Ronaldo's 2002 World Cup haircut was a deliberate distraction
- Man United's Luke Shaw can still be among 'best in the world' - Ashley Young
- Lionel Messi trains with Argentina teammates at Manchester City facility
- Putting Ronaldo's form into context
- Messi joins Argentina training ahead of Italy clash
- From non-league to World Cup, Pope dreams of keeping for England
- French Open champions to receive record €2.2m
- Pogba misses France training
- CAF Confederation Cup play-offs draw seeding
- Super Eagles camp abuzz for friendlies against Poland, Serbia
- Four countries weigh diplomatic snub of Russia’s World Cup
- Draw Procedures for Interclubs Group Phase
- Things have to change if trophies are to come, says Benitez
- I always believe nobody is better than me, says Ronaldo
- Facts and figures
- Emam, Fish & Gilberto named Ambassadors for Interclubs
- Total CL & CC official draw: broadcasters list
- Kehinde targets unbreakable Paralympic world record