Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Marco Verratti needs to learn from mistakes such as his Champions League red card to live up to his potential as a big player, his club coach Unai Emery said on Tuesday.
Italian international Verratti allowed his emotions to get the better of him as last week’s Champions League tie with Real Madrid was slipping away from the French side, and was sent off for dissent.
“This is not the first time. He needs to improve his temperament,” said Emery.
“He needs to control his feelings, especially in the big matches. He’s a player with a lot of personality and we have spoken to him about it,” added Emery, whose side were reduced to 10 men whilst trying to overturn a deficit against Real Madrid.
“But he’s getting better and he’s a very important player for us both now and for the future.”
“He will continue to develop,” Emery said of the 25-year-old who has played 154 games for PSG and 24 times for Italy.
Verratti took a huge amount of media flack after PSG’s 5-2 aggregate defeat by Real with Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport writing “he is incapable of keeping a cool head”, an issue it said would also compromise his international career.
Latest Nigeria News
- I won’t box again if I had Povetkin’s doping issues –Joshua
- Nwakali joins Porto on loan
- Rapes and beatings: The travails of S’Korea’s young athletes
- ‘We aren’t under pressure to win Lagos badminton’
- Aremu joins F’Eagles for Mauritania clash
- 2018 COSAFA Under-17 Championships – DAY 1 WRAP DAY 2 PREVIEW
- Fabinho jokes he'll get Kylian Mbappe to swap PSG for Liverpool
- Pogba's France role no good at United
- Sanchez gets visa to join Manchester United’s US tour
- With 11.4m responses, Ronaldo’s Instagram post becomes fifth most liked of all time
- Jorginho vows to bring fresh style to Chelsea
- Robson: Mourinho took a dig at Pogba in press conference
- Liverpool seal deal for Alisson in world-record goalkeeper transfer
- Cheery up, Mourinho!
- Hislop: Usain Bolt to the A-League is a marketing ploy
- Wilshere hoping to boost England chances with West Ham move
- French World Cup ace Pavard may join Bayern before new season
- Liverpool close in on record €75m deal for Brazil’s Alisson
- Cristiano Ronaldo move to Juventus influenced by Spain tax rate - La Liga chief
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Paul Pogba answered Manchester United critics at World Cup
- Liverpool giving medical to Alisson ahead of 'significant' transfer - Monchi
- Leicester City in talks with Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward - source
- Zinedine Zidane has never been considered as France coach - FFF boss
- Petr Cech fully focused on Arsenal, no Chelsea offers on table - agent
- Mourinho worried by Man United’s ‘very bad’ pre-season
- Balogun eager to kickoff new EPL campaign with Brighton
- ‘We have to collect their bones’: Klopp fears post-World Cup injury woe
- Arsenal youngster Nwakali joins Porto on loan
- French envoy angry at joke that ‘Africa won the World Cup’
- Transfer Talk LIVE: Chelsea and Milan in Alvaro Morata, Gianluigi Donnarumma swap
- Guikan brace sends Gor flying past Yanga
- Transfer Talk LIVE: Manchester United lining up Robert Lewandowski, Thiago moves
- Spending 22 years at Arsenal, my biggest mistake –Wenger
- Athletes kick as AFN hands off domestic competitions
- Russia 2018 Tit Bits: A lesson for African (mis)leaders
- Joshua ready to prove his worth against Povetkin
- Enyimba beat Williamsville 1-0 in Confed Cup
- AYG: Nigeria draw Morocco, Libya in football
- Turkey, Hungary, United States clubs join Central Coast Mariners' race to sign Usain Bolt
- Transfer Talk: Manchester United lining up Robert Lewandowski, Thiago moves