Superstar Neymar has a future at Paris Saint-Germain, his father said Tuesday after meeting with the club’s president amid rumours that the player wants to quit PSG.
“Neymar already has a future at PSG, Neymar already has a present at PSG,” Neymar Santos Sr told journalists at his son’s charity centre, the Neymar Junior Institute, in Praia Grande, Sao Paulo state.
The Neymars were accompanied by PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi, who earlier visited the star at his luxury home near Brazil’s coast, where he is recuperating from surgery.
The world’s most expensive player fractured a bone in his right foot on February 25 and faces weeks of recovery following surgery in early March.
Unconfirmed media reports have been swirling in Europe that Neymar has grown disenchanted with PSG, who crashed out of the Champions League to Real Madrid in the last 16 as the forward missed last week’s second leg, and wants to return to Barcelona or even join Real.
But Al-Kehlaifi also sought to pour cold water on the rumours, saying Neymar “is happy, highly motivated and excited to come back as soon as possible.”
Neymar is “doing his best to come back as soon as possible…. He’s in good shape.”
Brazilian team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar has said that the 26-year-old — who left Barcelona after PSG paid his 222 million-euro ($264 million) buyout clause last August — will need at least two and a half months, maybe three, to return to action.
Brazil’s national team are hoping he will be back to full fitness in time to help lead them at the World Cup starting in Russia on June 14.
Latest Nigeria News
- Ronaldo penalty puts Juventus ahead
- Moreno: Pogba should play vs. Liverpool
- Torino 0-1 Juventus: Ronaldo wins Turin derby
- Dortmund's Marco Reus plays like 'Ferrari' in middle of field - Nuri Sahin
- Karim Benzema nets early winner as Real Madrid edge Rayo Vallecano
- Modric shows off Ballon d'Or in 8/10 showing as Madrid hold on vs. Rayo
- Real Madrid boss Santi Solari plays down supporters' whistles and boos
- Spurs scrape win, City back on top
- Fulham 0-2 West Ham: Hammers continue winning ways
- Heracles 0-3 PSV: PSV take care of business
- Crystal Palace 1-0 Leicester: Milivojevic stunner
- Tottenham 1-0 Burnley: Eriksen rescues Spurs
- Huddersfield 0-1 Newcastle: Rondon leads the way
- Wolves 2-0 Bournemouth: Jiménez on target
- Barcelona's Dembele, Coutinho dilemma an 'advantage' - Valverde
- Smalling signs new Man United contract through to 2022
- Icardi puts Inter up with Panenka
- Watford 3-2 Cardiff: Thriller at Vicarage Road
- Inter 1-0 Udinese: Cheeky Icardi wins it
- Mauro Icardi's Panenka penalty gives Inter Milan win over Udinese
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Arsenal to snap up Barcelona's Denis Suarez to replace Aaron Ramsey?
- Liverpool legend John Arne Riise: I'd rather play for Jurgen Klopp than Jose Mourinho
- FIFA President Gianni Infantino gets ASEAN backing for re-election
- Liverpool keeper Alisson: Napoli save was like scoring winning goal
- Does Liverpool-Man United have the makings of a dull match?
- Sheffield United 1-2 West Brom: Baggies up to 3rd
- Which Milan side had a worse week in Europe?
- Arsenal boss Unai Emery working on plan to solve centre-back crisis
- Toronto FC trades GK Clint Irwin to Colorado Rapids for 2019 draft pick
- Extra Time: Alisson vs. De Gea, and Adrian Healey push-ups
- ESPN FC Best of the Week
- David Villa posts emotional farewell to city of New York, NYCFC, fans ahead of his move to Japan
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea's Loftus-Cheek a loan target for West Ham, Bournemouth
- Burley: Mourinho's mentality is one of excuses
- La Liga Predictor: Can Real Madrid bounce back?
- Transfer Rater: Zidane to Premier League? Morata to Barca?
- Caleb Porter nearing Columbus Crew deal
- AEK Athens to reimburse Bayern Munich ¬32k for ticket-price violation as Greek FA fined
- AC Milan fined ¬12m by UEFA, threatened with one-year European ban
- Ex-Uruguay striker Sebastian 'Loco' Abreu extends world record, joins Brazil's Rio Branco