Turkish international defender Caner Erkin, who plays for Istanbul side Besiktas, risks up to two years in jail over an expletive-strewn rant at a referee last year, reports said Tuesday.
Istanbul prosecutors have charged Erkin with insulting an official responsible for public order and asked for between one to two years in jail for the player, the official Anadolu news agency reported.
The incident took place in a match on October 23 between Besiktas and title rivals Basaksehir of Istanbul when referee Mete Kalkavan showed Erkin a yellow card. The player has denied the charges.
Erkin, 29, renowned as a hardman, moved towards Kalkavan gesticulating and shouting vulgar insults at him.
The incident sparked renewed controversy over Erkin, seen as highly talented since his youth and who has had stints at CSKA Moscow and Inter Milan.
There has been growing exasperation over the antics of Erkin, with calls mounting on the Turkish Football Federation (TFF) to crack down on the player.
But it’s extremely unusual for a legal case to be opened against a player for his behaviour on the pitch.
Anadolu said that hearings would begin in the next days.
The case is the latest bad news for Besiktas, currently second in the league, after its Portuguese winger Ricardo Quaresma was banned for five matches by the TFF for violent conduct in a Turkish Cup match against Fenerbahce on March 1.
The club’s hardcore fans, who are famously anti-establishment, claim it is the victim of a targeted campaign after winning the league two seasons in a row.
Latest Nigeria News
- Sanchez admits to rough start at Man United
- CAF Champions League group draw
- Atletico Madrid's Antoine Griezmann: Future will be decided before World Cup
- Ousmane Dembele needs right attitude to make it at Barcelona - Xavi
- Javi Martinez: Spain boss Julen Lopetegui hasn't explained squad snub to me
- Prosecutor seeks five-year jail for Xabi Alonso over tax fraud
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw being monitored by Everton - sources
- 'Outrageous' dive by Chilean player set to lead to punishment
- Transfer Rater: Hector Bellerin to Manchester United, Nabil Fekir to Arsenal
- Man United discuss song sheets to boost Old Trafford atmosphere at fan forum
- Xabi Alonso tax fraud case: Spanish prosecutors seek five-year sentence
- Usman targets ABU title at GOtv Boxing Night
- Nigerians suffer humiliating defeats at Lagos Squash Classics
- Why I’m the best in the world – Ronaldo
- Mikel doubtful, Etebo out as Moses, Ighalo hit Poland
- I would like to play with Neymar – Pogba
- World Cup squads: Who is on the plane to Russia, and who is in limbo?
- Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo asked about life in China - Luiz Felipe Scolari
- Brazil, PSG doctors in 'total harmony' on Neymar injury - Rodrigo Lasmar
- Starbucks food, sweeteners banned at England team hotel - source
- Transfer Rater: Mohamed Salah to Barcelona, Aaron Ramsey to Manchester United
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea among many interested in Toby Alderweireld
- Ronaldo's 2002 World Cup haircut was a deliberate distraction
- Man United's Luke Shaw can still be among 'best in the world' - Ashley Young
- Lionel Messi trains with Argentina teammates at Manchester City facility
- Putting Ronaldo's form into context
- Messi joins Argentina training ahead of Italy clash
- From non-league to World Cup, Pope dreams of keeping for England
- French Open champions to receive record €2.2m
- Pogba misses France training
- CAF Confederation Cup play-offs draw seeding
- Super Eagles camp abuzz for friendlies against Poland, Serbia
- Four countries weigh diplomatic snub of Russia’s World Cup
- Draw Procedures for Interclubs Group Phase
- Things have to change if trophies are to come, says Benitez
- I always believe nobody is better than me, says Ronaldo
- Facts and figures
- Emam, Fish & Gilberto named Ambassadors for Interclubs
- Total CL & CC official draw: broadcasters list
- Kehinde targets unbreakable Paralympic world record