Adelani Adepegba, Abuja
The President of Nigerian Boxing Board of Control, Dr. Rafiu Ladipo, has endorsed plans by a firm, Peel Aston Global to sponsor the visit of boxing champion, Anthony Joshua to Nigeria.
The PAG Director, Khomeini Bukhari, in a statement on Friday in Abuja, said the NBB of C president had thrown his weight behind arrangements to bring to Nigeria the world champion as soon as he was free to visit his native country.
“Dr. Ladipo during a meeting with Bukhari commended Joshua for winning the sports prize at the Future Awards, 2017; He also expressed delight over the plan to bring the boxing champion to Nigeria to encourage the development of boxing among the youths,” it stated.
Bukhari congratulated Joshua over the award which he received on the pugilist’s behalf, noting that he would be humbled to receive it.
He said, “We have reached out to Anthony Joshua’s team and are awaiting his available dates. The plan to bring Anthony Joshua over was to honour him, inspire the youths as well as to promote boxing in Nigeria.”
Bukhari disclosed that his firm recently sponsored the Nigerian delegation to watch the fight between Joshua and Carlos Takam in Cardiff.
Those on the delegation, he said included Deputy Governor of Ogun state and Minister of Youth and Sports as well as other boxing enthusiasts who were interested in the development of boxing at the grass-roots’ level in the country.
Latest Nigeria News
- Paul Pogba praised by Didier Deschamps for dealing with media pressure at World Cup
- Monaco’s Diakhaby signs three-year contract with Huddersfield
- Liverpool's ¬62.5m offer for Alisson 'irrefusable' for Roma - Francesco Totti
- Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger not in running to become next Japan manager
- Liverpool's Naby Keita always wanted to be Steven Gerrard as a kid
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Barcelona coming in with £55m-plus bid for Chelsea's Willian
- Gor Mahia shed goal-shy image with four in CAF romp
- Ethiopia Appoints Abraham Mebratu as Head Coach
- Brighton sign South Africa star Tau
- Mwase: Malawi needs nothing but victory
- Elite Beach Soccer referees gear up for Sharm El Sheikh
- Mahrez shows glimpse of City prowess
- Transfer Talk: Barcelona coming in with £55m-plus bid for Chelsea's Willian
- Liverpool's Naby Keita emulated 'boss' Steven Gerrard as a kid
- Asaba 2018: AFN invites 61 athletes to camp
- Lawal warns F’Eagles over Mauritania
- Stakeholders raise the alarm over league suspension
- Thai cave boys relive ‘moment of miracle’
- Stars, flops of Russia 2018 World Cup
- Brazil and PSG defender Dani Alves slams Neymar memes: It's not a joke
- Chelsea need 'best player' Eden Hazard to stay - Cesc Fabregas
- David De Gea will stay at Manchester United because of fans - Ander Herrera
- Transfer Talk: Real Madrid ready £112 million bid for Eden Hazard, also targeting Mauro Icardi
- VIDEO: Goalkeeper Alisson’s wife celebrates husband’s $84m move to Liverpool
- Madrid's return to Galactico spending
- Leicester City seal signing of Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward
- I will help Liverpool win title, says Fabinho
- Croatia’s Caleta-Car signs five-year contract with Marseille
- German federation bosses are ‘amateurs’ — Bayern’s Rummenigge
- Liverpool's Mohamed Salah sent Alisson text messages urging him to join club
- Neymar: I am staying at Paris Saint-Germain and want to win with them
- Kylian Mbappe ahead of where Thierry Henry was at same age - Didier Deschamps
- Barcelona told Ajax's Frenkie de Jong will not leave this summer
- Tottenham's Son Heung-Min signs new five-year contract until 2023
- Manchester United's Alexis Sanchez 'has to play' vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Jose Mourinho
- Conte to sue Chelsea over delayed sacking
- Chelsea prepare for life under new manager Sarri in Australia
- Sports court annuls AC Milan Europa League ban
- Nigeria host Mauritania as qualifiers reach final lap
- Zambia bank on positive away run