Adelani Adepegba, Abuja
The President of Nigerian Boxing Board of Control, Dr. Rafiu Ladipo, has endorsed plans by a firm, Peel Aston Global to sponsor the visit of boxing champion, Anthony Joshua to Nigeria.
The PAG Director, Khomeini Bukhari, in a statement on Friday in Abuja, said the NBB of C president had thrown his weight behind arrangements to bring to Nigeria the world champion as soon as he was free to visit his native country.
“Dr. Ladipo during a meeting with Bukhari commended Joshua for winning the sports prize at the Future Awards, 2017; He also expressed delight over the plan to bring the boxing champion to Nigeria to encourage the development of boxing among the youths,” it stated.
Bukhari congratulated Joshua over the award which he received on the pugilist’s behalf, noting that he would be humbled to receive it.
He said, “We have reached out to Anthony Joshua’s team and are awaiting his available dates. The plan to bring Anthony Joshua over was to honour him, inspire the youths as well as to promote boxing in Nigeria.”
Bukhari disclosed that his firm recently sponsored the Nigerian delegation to watch the fight between Joshua and Carlos Takam in Cardiff.
Those on the delegation, he said included Deputy Governor of Ogun state and Minister of Youth and Sports as well as other boxing enthusiasts who were interested in the development of boxing at the grass-roots’ level in the country.
Latest Nigeria News
- [VIDEO] Police arrest football fan suspected of urinating into goalie’s bottle
- Sanchez ‘arrives at Man Utd training ground’
- Real hit back at crisis talk, beat Deportivo 7-1
- Start list: Sudan VS Morocco
- Start list: Mauritania VS Guinea
- Liverpool stars would not join a Premier League rival mid-season - Klopp
- Sanchez to undergo United medical - sources
- Chelsea eye Edin Dzeko, Emerson Palmieri deals with Roma - sources
- Harry Kane waits on century as Tottenham held to draw at Southampton
- Harry Kane scores but Spurs, Southampton settle for draw
- Tottenham would resist world-record bid for Harry Kane - source
- Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez to undergo Manchester United medical - sources
- Watford sack Silva after ‘unwarranted’ Everton approach
- Sanchez, Mkhitaryan set for medicals ahead of swap deal
- Arsenal talks for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang yet to being - Dortmund
- Watford appear to blame Everton for sacking Marco Silva after eight months
- LIVE: 'No Easy Way Out' for Sanchez
- N’Korea to send 22 athletes to Olympics
- Asisat Oshoala : Living the dream
- Ruthless Wozniacki, Cilic into Open quarters
- CHAN: Libya gave Eagles tough time, says Eze
- Congo confirm last eight spot
- Sepp Blatter told Obama U.S. lost 2022 World Cup bid before vote
- Roma, Internazionale to do battle for Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge
- Weah scores in friendly, promises Liberians peace
- Chelsea return to winning ways
- Federer keeps 20th Grand Slam hope alive
- VIOLENCE, OFFICIATING RAISE CONCERNS IN NEW NPFL SEASON
- Ambode vows to tackle Lagos roadside waste
- Start List: Angola VS Cameroon
- Pre-match quotes: Sudan vs Morocco
- Pre-match quotes: Mauritania vs Guinea
- Start list: Congo vs Burkina Faso
- Job penalty send Cameroon packing
- Philippe Coutinho trains with Barca for first time, eyes Espanyol debut
- Neymar again left out of PSG squad with pain in thigh
- Hazard nets 100th EPL goal with Chelsea opener
- Neymar is a great player loved by everyone – Zidane
- Arsenal offer Dortmund $61.1m for Aubameyang
- Mourinho confident Sanchez will sign for United