England’s Football Association has asked Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho to explain comments he made in the build-up to last weekend’s 2-1 derby defeat by Manchester City.
“He has until 6pm (1800 GMT) on Monday 18 December to respond,” an FA spokesperson said on Twitter.
In his final pre-game press conference, Mourinho suggested City’s players were prone to diving, saying it only takes a “little bit of wind” for them to go to ground.
He also questioned City manager Pep Guardiola’s right to wear a ribbon in solidarity with jailed Catalan separatists, suggesting it was something he “wouldn’t be allowed to do”.
The FA is already investigating a mass brawl that allegedly erupted after Sunday’s game at Old Trafford, which was reportedly instigated by Mourinho’s complaints about the noise of City’s celebrations.
The two clubs have been given until Friday to provide observations about the incident.
United’s defeat left them 11 points below Premier League leaders City in second place.
Mourinho’s side beat Bournemouth 1-0 on Wednesday and visit West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.
Latest Nigeria News
- Things have to change if trophies are to come, says Benitez
- I always believe nobody is better than me, says Ronaldo
- Facts and figures
- Emam, Fish & Gilberto named Ambassadors for Interclubs
- Total CL & CC official draw: broadcasters list
- Kehinde targets unbreakable Paralympic world record
- Akwa v Heartland: Dana promises fans
- Bruno gives Joshua tactical advice for Parker fight
- 2018 could be my last World Cup – Messi
- Transfer Talk: Liverpool set to reject Salah transfer bids from Real, Barca
- Salah leads four-goal phenoms
- NBBF crisis: We’re not afraid of fresh poll – Kida group
- Onazi set for Poland
- 2018 Milo basketball hots up
- Del Potro ends Federer unbeaten run
- Golden League athletes battle AFN over unfulfilled promises
- Pogba can’t be happy at Man United – Deschamps
- Paul Pogba 'cannot be happy' with his situation at Manchester United - Didier Deschamps
- Fiorentina rename training ground after Davide Astori
- Lyon face European ban after UEFA charges
- Former African champions ASEC, V Club flop at home
- Amazing Salah scales new heights with four-goal salvo
- Why Mourinho keeps talking
- Liverpool's Mohamed Salah flattered by Lionel Messi comparison
- Lionel Messi hints 2018 could be his last chance to win World Cup
- Barcelona's Lionel Messi: Chocolates and fizzy drinks made me throw up
- Commonwealth Games: Nigeria to leave for Australia March 24
- Joel Obi fit to play for Eagles, says Yusuf
- Man United extend Young’s contract to 2019
- Mohamed Salah leads Lionel Messi in race for European Golden Shoe
- Cristiano Ronaldo 'scores goals, and always will' - Zinedine Zidane
- Lionel Messi doesn't get punished for dissent - PSG's Marco Verratti
- Mourinho eyes Man United clear-out
- Transfer Rater: Wilfred Ndidi to Liverpool, Phil Foden to Real Madrid
- Van Gaal: Man United failed in Lewandowski bid; players were unprofessional
- Man United will back Jose Mourinho to build a team and create 'heritage'... for now
- Mohamed Salah up against Kevin De Bruyne, Harry Kane for Player of Year - Wijnaldum
- Salah dominates, Mourinho rants
- Ramirez claims super lightweight belt
- Eagles to hit Wroclaw for Poland