Super Falcons forward Francisca Ordega says a desire to compete at the highest level explains her loan move to Spanish club Atletico de Madrid Femenino.
The 24-year-old has joined on loan until March from United States women’s side Washington Spirit.
“As a professional you want to continue to improve by competing at the highest level on a regular basis,” she said.
“Once the opportunity to play for a top side like Atletico Madrid presented itself, I thought why not?”
“It’s a great honour and I feel very grateful and wonderfully excited,” she told BBC Sport. “I just want to settle down here and hopefully make a good contribution.”
Atletico hosts rivals and joint league leaders FC Barcelona on 29 October, with both teams having won their previous six matches.
The much-travelled and vastly-experienced Ordega has previously played in Russia and Sweden before moving to Washington Spirit in March 2015.
Back in December 2016, Ordega became the first African to play in the Australian Westfield W-League when she joined Sydney FC on loan.
She scored once as she helped Nigeria win an eighth Women’s Africa Cup of Nations title last year.
Ordega, who has represented Nigeria at all international levels, has 26 caps for the Super Falcons and also boasts experience at two Fifa Women’s World Cups in 2011 and 2015.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Mourinho fears Fellaini could quit Manchester United
- Bale finally back in training for Madrid
- Messi wins fourth European Golden Shoe award
- Guardiola surprised by Sterling’s Man City form
- SuperSport bank on 'incredible' spirit in final
- Local coaches dominate CAF Confederation Cup
- Mata: No one team can rule Premier League
- Peru federation 'calm' over potential risk of World Cup expulsion
- Barcelona's Lionel Messi avoids talk of new contract at Golden Shoe awards
- Oscar Pistorius: From global icon to broke, broken Olympian
- Top 10 CAF club title winners
- Transfer Rater: Thibaut Courtois to Juventus, Marouane Fellaini to PSG
- Man United's Phil Jones, Eric Bailly out; Paul Pogba, Zlatan Ibrahimovic to play
- Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere eyes more playing time after Cologne start
- Man United's Jose Mourinho 'worried' by potential Marouane Fellaini exit
- Wembley pitch adding to Tottenham workload - Mauricio Pochettino
- Shooting Stars search for ‘missing’ player
- Pacquiao calls out McGregor for #realboxingmatch
- Roberto Carlos set for Nigeria
- Eric Cantona loves Jose Mourinho, wants 'more fancy' Man United style
- Trending: Barcelona players confident of Lionel Messi stay - Denis Suarez
- Leicester set to offload Musa
- Mohamed Salah 'did not get his chance at Chelsea' - Eden Hazard
- David Unsworth: Everton 'hurting' after capitulation against Atalanta
- Andre Silva, Patrick Cutrone on target as AC Milan cruise past Austria Vienna
- Paris Saint-Germain favourites to sign Man United's Marouane Fellaini
- APC, govs bank on sports to curb secessionist threats
- Palestine overtake Israel
- Eagles drop in FIFA rankings
- Robinho jailed for sexual assault
- Arsenal lose at Cologne, Milan make last 32
- Arsenal lacked 'a little something' in defeat at Cologne - Arsene Wenger
- Atalanta put five goals past dismal Everton at Goodison
- Man United show their flaws
- Bayern star Robben drops retirement hint
- Brazil striker Robinho gets nine-year term for rape
- Europa League: Arsenal lose at Cologne, Balotelli propels Nice
- Can Liverpool fix big-game woes?
- Bayern charged over fans' fake money protest against Anderlecht prices
- Arsenal beaten by Cologne but top Europa League group