Newcastle completed the permanent signing of Mikel Merino from Borussia Dortmund on Friday after the midfielder’s impressive start to his spell in the Premier League.
Merino arrived at St James’ Park on loan in July with a view to a full-time switch to England if he made a big impact.
The 21-year-old has done so well that Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez has handed him a five-year contract.
“I’m really pleased we have been able to bring Mikel to the club permanently. He has played very well since he joined us,” Benitez said.
“He has settled in quickly, has a lot of quality on the ball and is keen to learn – that is a crucial part of his future development.”
Merino was handed his Newcastle debut as a substitute in their opening Premier League defeat by Tottenham and he has started every league game since.
The Spain Under-21 international also won Newcastle’s player of the month award for August.
Latest Nigeria News
- Man City have found killer instinct – Guardiola
- Barca roll on calmly amidst Catalan chaos
- Mourinho's interest put Dier 'in a compromising position' - Pochettino
- Can Spurs finally beat Liverpool?
- Arsenal's Arsene Wenger 'frightened' by prospect of retiring as manager
- Terriers punish Lindelof, Mata
- Eagles, Argentina friendly for Nov.14
- Quadri, Assar crash out of W’Cup
- Americans use my Olymipic medal to motivate their kids — Yusuf-Olukoju
- Barcelona's Ernesto Valverde keeping faith in Luis Suarez despite misses
- Malaga's Luis Hernandez calls Barcelona's controversial opening goal 'absurd'
- Manchester United preparing January swoop for Valencia's Carlos Soler
- Barcelona win after controversial goal while Valencia thrash Sevilla
- Man City thrash Burnley 3-0
- Nigeria to play Argentina in November
- Mesut Ozil denies Man United links; Barca make final Philippe Coutinho bid
- Man Utd shocked by Huddersfield, City go 5 points clear, Chelsea beat Watford
- Chelsea still in title hunt with dramatic comeback win vs. Watford
- Antonio Conte insists he's not feeling pressure after Chelsea beat Watford
- Man United stunned at Huddersfield
- Jose Mourinho: Man United players must explain lack of desire in defeat
- WATCH: Burley reviews Saturday's action
- Pep Guardiola: Man City's five-point lead not 'significant' in October
- Aguero equals Man City scoring record
- ITTF World Cup: Quadri hopes to avoid World number one Ma Long
- Aruna Quadri crashes out of ITTF World Cup
- BREAKING: Man Utd lose 2-1 at Huddersfield
- English Premier League results
- Mourinho says he is judged harshly because of success
- Luis Suarez to sit out Uruguay friendlies
- Neymar a mentor for Mbappe at PSG says Marquinhos
- Chelsea losing at home to Watford
- Barcelona's Luis Suarez to miss Uruguay friendlies to aid knee recovery
- Diego Simeone: Atletico Madrid will find 'right path' amid struggles
- Barcelona won't leave Spain regardless of Catalonia situation - Bartomeu
- Zinedine Zidane hits back at Gary Lineker over Karim Benzema remarks
- Barcelona planning to offer Lionel Messi 'lifetime' contract - CEO Grau
- EPL: Talk is cheap as Wenger eyes more misery for Everton
- Broadcasters list
- N'Diaye: Mali's natural-born goalscore