Newcastle completed the permanent signing of Mikel Merino from Borussia Dortmund on Friday after the midfielder’s impressive start to his spell in the Premier League.
Merino arrived at St James’ Park on loan in July with a view to a full-time switch to England if he made a big impact.
The 21-year-old has done so well that Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez has handed him a five-year contract.
“I’m really pleased we have been able to bring Mikel to the club permanently. He has played very well since he joined us,” Benitez said.
“He has settled in quickly, has a lot of quality on the ball and is keen to learn – that is a crucial part of his future development.”
Merino was handed his Newcastle debut as a substitute in their opening Premier League defeat by Tottenham and he has started every league game since.
The Spain Under-21 international also won Newcastle’s player of the month award for August.
Latest Nigeria News
- Record-breaker Guardiola relishes Tottenham test
- Man United’s Bailly set for ankle surgery
- Jose Mourinho open to adding to Manchester United squad in January
- Pep Guardiola: Manchester City can still get 'much, much better'
- Poch's plan to stop City juggernaut
- Kylian Mbappe, ‘the revelation of football’ — Maradona
- BREAKING: Brazilian football chief, Del Nero, given 90-day ban
- Valencia confident Manchester United won't recall Andreas Pereira in January
- Transfer Rater: Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool, Willian to Manchester United
- Not a problem if Antoine Griezmann asks to leave Atletico - Diego Simeone
- Man United boss Jose Mourinho says Eric Bailly out for two to three months
- Wenger desperate for win in race for Champions League places
- Five things to look out for in La Liga
- WATCH: Premier League in 90 seconds
- Romelu Lukaku right not to celebrate goal against Bournemouth - Phil Neville
- Bayern Munich's James Rodriguez not thinking about Real Madrid return
- Manchester City to set to sign a centre-back in January - sources
- Wenger: No Ozil move to Man United in January, Wilshere talks to come
- Man City can match 'Invincibles' but Arsenal did it without money - Wenger
- Man City on top of Power Rankings
- Tottenham can outplay Manchester City - Harry Winks
- Man United eye Chelsea's Willian, expecting winter Mkhitaryan bids
- Dominic Solanke: 'Annoying' that ref changed his mind on Liverpool goal
- Man City chasing Bayern for longest winning run in Europe's top 5 leagues
- Oliver Kahn regrets not signing for Man United from Bayern Munich
- FA wants Man United's Jose Mourinho to explain pre-derby comments
- Ogun moves to save MKO, Muda Lawal stadiums
- FA asks Mourinho to explain pre-derby comments
- Mourinho reveals Bailly could be out for season
- Manchester City hailed as Premier League greats
- Wenger refuses to give up on Arsenal title hope
- Saint Louis at the double in Seychelles
- Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid side controlled without dominating - Alonso
- Real Madrid 'suffered' vs. Al-Jazira due to wasted chances - Luka Modric
- Argentina's Lionel Messi hopes football pays him back with World Cup win
- Transfer Rater: Mesut Ozil to Man United, Yerry Mina to Barcelona
- Angel Di Maria not enjoying life at Paris Saint-Germain as much this season
- Pochettino spies good omens for Man City trip
- Rivals Saint George, Ethiopia Coffee in ‘Sheger’ derby stalemate
- CECAFA enters semi-final stage