Sports betting company Bet9ja says it decided to sponsor powerlifter Kareem Waheed to the United States Amateur Athletes Championships, where he emerged as winner last month to help develop sports in the country.
Bet9ja, which sponsors the Nigeria National League, said it was not happy that powerlifting is not getting the needed attention, hence it decided to assist.
“Powerlifting has been in the doldrums in Nigeria, but we don’t want it to suffer the same fate as the other individual sports, hence we sponsored Waheed to the competition (in Las Vegas, Nevada),” the company’s Brands and Communications Manager Tunji Mesh said in a statement.
“But judging by his performance a new breath of life had taken place, thanks to one powerlifter, who decided to put the country on the global map through his exploits in the US. We are encouraged to do more.”
Waheed, popularly called Body, beat all other competitors in the championship.
His exploits could inspire other athletes and at the same time popularise the sport in the country.
Body was in the ‘Sin City’ in April where he also led Nigeria to victory.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Man City have found killer instinct – Guardiola
- Barca roll on calmly amidst Catalan chaos
- Mourinho's interest put Dier 'in a compromising position' - Pochettino
- Can Spurs finally beat Liverpool?
- Arsenal's Arsene Wenger 'frightened' by prospect of retiring as manager
- Terriers punish Lindelof, Mata
- Eagles, Argentina friendly for Nov.14
- Quadri, Assar crash out of W’Cup
- Americans use my Olymipic medal to motivate their kids — Yusuf-Olukoju
- Barcelona's Ernesto Valverde keeping faith in Luis Suarez despite misses
- Malaga's Luis Hernandez calls Barcelona's controversial opening goal 'absurd'
- Manchester United preparing January swoop for Valencia's Carlos Soler
- Barcelona win after controversial goal while Valencia thrash Sevilla
- Man City thrash Burnley 3-0
- Nigeria to play Argentina in November
- Mesut Ozil denies Man United links; Barca make final Philippe Coutinho bid
- Man Utd shocked by Huddersfield, City go 5 points clear, Chelsea beat Watford
- Chelsea still in title hunt with dramatic comeback win vs. Watford
- Antonio Conte insists he's not feeling pressure after Chelsea beat Watford
- Man United stunned at Huddersfield
- Jose Mourinho: Man United players must explain lack of desire in defeat
- WATCH: Burley reviews Saturday's action
- Pep Guardiola: Man City's five-point lead not 'significant' in October
- Aguero equals Man City scoring record
- ITTF World Cup: Quadri hopes to avoid World number one Ma Long
- Aruna Quadri crashes out of ITTF World Cup
- BREAKING: Man Utd lose 2-1 at Huddersfield
- English Premier League results
- Mourinho says he is judged harshly because of success
- Luis Suarez to sit out Uruguay friendlies
- Neymar a mentor for Mbappe at PSG says Marquinhos
- Chelsea losing at home to Watford
- Barcelona's Luis Suarez to miss Uruguay friendlies to aid knee recovery
- Diego Simeone: Atletico Madrid will find 'right path' amid struggles
- Barcelona won't leave Spain regardless of Catalonia situation - Bartomeu
- Zinedine Zidane hits back at Gary Lineker over Karim Benzema remarks
- Barcelona planning to offer Lionel Messi 'lifetime' contract - CEO Grau
- EPL: Talk is cheap as Wenger eyes more misery for Everton
- Broadcasters list
- N'Diaye: Mali's natural-born goalscore