The Super Eagles have the quality to make an impact at the 2018 World Cup in Russia, says former Nigeria winger Adokiye Amiesimaka.
Nigeria on Saturday sealed their place at Russia 2018 after beating Zambia 1-0 in their qualifier in Uyo.
Amiesimaka told the News Agency of Nigeria that the players had shown commitment to the task ahead.
“I think we are privileged to have youthful, relatively youthful, skilful and committed players. I think we have a crop of players now that should be able to do us proud,” the Nigeria ’80 Africa Cup of Nations winner said.
“Most of them, apart from the goalkeeper (Ikechukwu Ezenwa), who is also brilliant and the only homed-based player, others are playing in professional teams outside the country.
“And from what I have seen so far, they can hold their own and it’s important, and I’m very impressed that they are all very young.
‘’The captain (Mikel Obi) is still very good and has a lot of experience to back him up. It will be a delight to watch the team play an exciting football at the World Cup in 2018.’’
Meanwhile, 3,496,204 tickets have been requested so far as the first sales period ended on Thursday despite nine spots yet to be filled.
Most of the applications have come from Russia, while international demand accounts for more than 30 per cent, according to a report by the FIFA Media Office.
German, Brazilian, Argentinian, Mexican, US, Colombian, Egyptian, Chinese, and Polish fans all rank in the top 10.
Around 150,000 tickets have been requested for the opening match and more than 300,000 for the final.
During the Random Selection Draw sales period, which ended Thursday at Moscow noon time, fans had the chance to apply for tickets for every match or for specific ticket products.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Man City have found killer instinct – Guardiola
- Barca roll on calmly amidst Catalan chaos
- Mourinho's interest put Dier 'in a compromising position' - Pochettino
- Can Spurs finally beat Liverpool?
- Arsenal's Arsene Wenger 'frightened' by prospect of retiring as manager
- Terriers punish Lindelof, Mata
- Eagles, Argentina friendly for Nov.14
- Quadri, Assar crash out of W’Cup
- Americans use my Olymipic medal to motivate their kids — Yusuf-Olukoju
- Barcelona's Ernesto Valverde keeping faith in Luis Suarez despite misses
- Malaga's Luis Hernandez calls Barcelona's controversial opening goal 'absurd'
- Manchester United preparing January swoop for Valencia's Carlos Soler
- Barcelona win after controversial goal while Valencia thrash Sevilla
- Man City thrash Burnley 3-0
- Nigeria to play Argentina in November
- Mesut Ozil denies Man United links; Barca make final Philippe Coutinho bid
- Man Utd shocked by Huddersfield, City go 5 points clear, Chelsea beat Watford
- Chelsea still in title hunt with dramatic comeback win vs. Watford
- Antonio Conte insists he's not feeling pressure after Chelsea beat Watford
- Man United stunned at Huddersfield
- Jose Mourinho: Man United players must explain lack of desire in defeat
- WATCH: Burley reviews Saturday's action
- Pep Guardiola: Man City's five-point lead not 'significant' in October
- Aguero equals Man City scoring record
- ITTF World Cup: Quadri hopes to avoid World number one Ma Long
- Aruna Quadri crashes out of ITTF World Cup
- BREAKING: Man Utd lose 2-1 at Huddersfield
- English Premier League results
- Mourinho says he is judged harshly because of success
- Luis Suarez to sit out Uruguay friendlies
- Neymar a mentor for Mbappe at PSG says Marquinhos
- Chelsea losing at home to Watford
- Barcelona's Luis Suarez to miss Uruguay friendlies to aid knee recovery
- Diego Simeone: Atletico Madrid will find 'right path' amid struggles
- Barcelona won't leave Spain regardless of Catalonia situation - Bartomeu
- Zinedine Zidane hits back at Gary Lineker over Karim Benzema remarks
- Barcelona planning to offer Lionel Messi 'lifetime' contract - CEO Grau
- EPL: Talk is cheap as Wenger eyes more misery for Everton
- Broadcasters list
- N'Diaye: Mali's natural-born goalscore