Arsenal’s football manager, Arsene Wenger, has been fooled by fake news making the rounds that George Weah won the Liberia’s presidential election.
Wenger, who coached the 51-year-old footballer-turned-politician at Monaco between 1988 and 1992, had on the Gunners website congratulated Weah. Unfortunately for the 67-year-old French tactician, the results have not been announced.
Wenger said, “I would like to congratulate one of my former players, who became president of Liberia, George Weah.
“It is not often that you have a former player who becomes a president of a country and so well done Georgie and I would say just for him to keep his enthusiasm and his desire to learn and to win.”
Weah, a former FIFA World Footballer of the Year, ran for Liberia’s presidency in Tuesday’s election.
He failed in his two previous attempts to become president.
Latest Nigeria News
- Terriers punish Lindelof, Mata
- Eagles, Argentina friendly for Nov.14
- Quadri, Assar crash out of W’Cup
- Americans use my Olymipic medal to motivate their kids — Yusuf-Olukoju
- Barcelona's Ernesto Valverde keeping faith in Luis Suarez despite misses
- Malaga's Luis Hernandez calls Barcelona's controversial opening goal 'absurd'
- Manchester United preparing January swoop for Valencia's Carlos Soler
- Barcelona win after controversial goal while Valencia thrash Sevilla
- Man City thrash Burnley 3-0
- Nigeria to play Argentina in November
- Mesut Ozil denies Man United links; Barca make final Philippe Coutinho bid
- Man Utd shocked by Huddersfield, City go 5 points clear, Chelsea beat Watford
- Chelsea still in title hunt with dramatic comeback win vs. Watford
- Antonio Conte insists he's not feeling pressure after Chelsea beat Watford
- Man United stunned at Huddersfield
- Jose Mourinho: Man United players must explain lack of desire in defeat
- WATCH: Burley reviews Saturday's action
- Pep Guardiola: Man City's five-point lead not 'significant' in October
- Aguero equals Man City scoring record
- ITTF World Cup: Quadri hopes to avoid World number one Ma Long
- Aruna Quadri crashes out of ITTF World Cup
- BREAKING: Man Utd lose 2-1 at Huddersfield
- English Premier League results
- Mourinho says he is judged harshly because of success
- Luis Suarez to sit out Uruguay friendlies
- Neymar a mentor for Mbappe at PSG says Marquinhos
- Chelsea losing at home to Watford
- Barcelona's Luis Suarez to miss Uruguay friendlies to aid knee recovery
- Diego Simeone: Atletico Madrid will find 'right path' amid struggles
- Barcelona won't leave Spain regardless of Catalonia situation - Bartomeu
- Zinedine Zidane hits back at Gary Lineker over Karim Benzema remarks
- Barcelona planning to offer Lionel Messi 'lifetime' contract - CEO Grau
- EPL: Talk is cheap as Wenger eyes more misery for Everton
- Broadcasters list
- N'Diaye: Mali's natural-born goalscore
- Champions League history can inspire Ahly
- Everton charged by UEFA, ban fan for punch at Lyon player
- Liverpool aren't '500 miles' behind quality of leaders Manchester City
- Olorunleke seeks Confed Cup success
- N4m for grabs at Katsina, Lagos badminton tourneys