Bayern Munich have “no more excuses”, interim captain Thomas Mueller told AFP after veteran German coach Jupp Heynckes took over as manager of the Bundesliga champions.
Heynckes, 72, came out of retirement to take charge of the squad — his fourth stint with Bayern — when Carlo Ancelotti was sacked after a stinging 3-0 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League.
“A change of coach always releases energy, and I think we, the players, must now give a lot of ourselves. There are no more excuses,” said Mueller, at the Ingolstadt headquarters of Audi, a major sponsor of the club.
“The sacred fire is still there with Jupp Heynckes, he has given off a lot of energy since Monday with his team of coaches,” the striker added.
Heynckes has reunited the coaching team which in 2013 helped steer Bayern to win the only ever treble of the Bundesliga, Champions League and German Cup titles.
According to the German press, the Bayern stars were critical of Ancelotti’s soft training methods, but Mueller said the team have enjoyed the sessions under Heynckes.
“So far we’ve trained very well,” he said. “We had two intensive sessions and we had a lot of fun.”
Bayern are currently second in the Bundesliga, but already five points behind leaders Borussia Dortmund after just seven matches. The defeat in Paris also brought into question the team’s ability to play at the highest European level.
Asked about the changes needed following Ancelotti’s dismissal, Mueller laughed, saying: “What to change? The results!”
Mueller is the current captain of Bayern in the absence of injured goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, but the German international was not in Ancelotti’s starting eleven as he struggled to find a role in the Italian’s system.
Explaining the team’s poor start by their standards, he said: “There are things that have not been 100 percent successful.
“In the last two matches of the Bundesliga, we led 2-0 twice and we drew both matches 2-2. Each time there were individual faults, perhaps due to difficulties in concentration, but we now have to be more rigorous collectively.”
Latest Nigeria News
- I won’t box again if I had Povetkin’s doping issues –Joshua
- Nwakali joins Porto on loan
- Rapes and beatings: The travails of S’Korea’s young athletes
- ‘We aren’t under pressure to win Lagos badminton’
- Aremu joins F’Eagles for Mauritania clash
- 2018 COSAFA Under-17 Championships – DAY 1 WRAP DAY 2 PREVIEW
- Fabinho jokes he'll get Kylian Mbappe to swap PSG for Liverpool
- Pogba's France role no good at United
- Sanchez gets visa to join Manchester United’s US tour
- With 11.4m responses, Ronaldo’s Instagram post becomes fifth most liked of all time
- Jorginho vows to bring fresh style to Chelsea
- Robson: Mourinho took a dig at Pogba in press conference
- Liverpool seal deal for Alisson in world-record goalkeeper transfer
- Cheery up, Mourinho!
- Hislop: Usain Bolt to the A-League is a marketing ploy
- Wilshere hoping to boost England chances with West Ham move
- French World Cup ace Pavard may join Bayern before new season
- Liverpool close in on record €75m deal for Brazil’s Alisson
- Cristiano Ronaldo move to Juventus influenced by Spain tax rate - La Liga chief
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Paul Pogba answered Manchester United critics at World Cup
- Liverpool giving medical to Alisson ahead of 'significant' transfer - Monchi
- Leicester City in talks with Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward - source
- Zinedine Zidane has never been considered as France coach - FFF boss
- Petr Cech fully focused on Arsenal, no Chelsea offers on table - agent
- Mourinho worried by Man United’s ‘very bad’ pre-season
- Balogun eager to kickoff new EPL campaign with Brighton
- ‘We have to collect their bones’: Klopp fears post-World Cup injury woe
- Arsenal youngster Nwakali joins Porto on loan
- French envoy angry at joke that ‘Africa won the World Cup’
- Transfer Talk LIVE: Chelsea and Milan in Alvaro Morata, Gianluigi Donnarumma swap
- Guikan brace sends Gor flying past Yanga
- Transfer Talk LIVE: Manchester United lining up Robert Lewandowski, Thiago moves
- Spending 22 years at Arsenal, my biggest mistake –Wenger
- Athletes kick as AFN hands off domestic competitions
- Russia 2018 Tit Bits: A lesson for African (mis)leaders
- Joshua ready to prove his worth against Povetkin
- Enyimba beat Williamsville 1-0 in Confed Cup
- AYG: Nigeria draw Morocco, Libya in football
- Turkey, Hungary, United States clubs join Central Coast Mariners' race to sign Usain Bolt
- Transfer Talk: Manchester United lining up Robert Lewandowski, Thiago moves