Fernando Torres is "stable" in hospital after suffering a head injury during Atletico Madrid's La Liga match at Deportivo on Thursday.
Atletico say the former Liverpool and Chelsea man will remain in hospital so that he can be monitored.
Having come off the substitutes' bench, Torres banged heads with Deportivo's Alex Bergantinos five minutes from time and stayed down after the incident in the 1-1 draw.
There was huge concern from both sets of players and Torres was carried off on a stretcher before being taken to hospital in an ambulance.
Fernando Torres said from hospital it was 'just a scare'
The 32-year-old Spain international released a statement saying: "It was just a scare. I hope to come back very soon."
An Atletico statement added: "A cranial and cervical CT scan carried out on Fernando Torres has ruled out that the Rojiblanco striker has suffered any alterations or traumatic injuries.
"Our player, who is stable, conscious and oriented, had to be removed by ambulance after being stabilised according to the usual protocol, before entering the Model Hospital of La Coruna, where he will spend the night in observation."
Atletico coach Diego Simeone said in his post-match press conference: "Worried, nervous. Those are the feelings after he suffered such a heavy blow.
"We heard the blow from the bench, we saw how he fell and we were afraid. We didn't know if that noise was Fernando's neck or not.
Antoine Griezmann (L) expressed his concern for team-mate Torres after the match
"They are unfortunate situations that happen in matches and we're hoping for the best for Fernando."
Simeone's side had fallen behind in the 13th minute, when Florin Andone slotted in after a poor goal kick from Jan Oblak, before Antoine Griezmann equalised with a spectacular 68th-minute strike.
Atletico finished the game with 10 men, having used all three substitutes.
"In the end, I do not care about the result," said Griezmann. "I just want to know what's up with Fernando and hopefully he's fine. And he gets back to us soon."
Atletico left-back Filipe Luis added: "It's very ugly to see it, we were all scared but at least the news we have received so far is good and the most important thing is that Fernando is well."
Latest Nigeria News
- Gregory van der Wiel to leave Toronto FC after training camp bust-up with Greg Vanney - source
- Transfer Talk: Martin Skriniar dismisses talk of Manchester United move
- Barcelona boss Valverde defends Messi omission in Copa del Rey defeat
- Malcom, Philippe Coutinho both struggle again as Barca dig another Copa del Rey hole
- Nicol: De Jong good enough to play straight away
- Higuain will score goals, but is that enough?
- Dani Alves, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting both 7/10 but Neymar injured in PSG's cup win
- Portland Timbers pursuing Tigres striker Julian Quinones - source
- Central Coast Mariners sign former Reading star Jem Karacan
- Jets weather late Mariners storm
- Sydney FC hold on for all three points
- Adelaide and Perth settle for goalless draw
- Berhalter hopeful young USMNT will absorb new concepts
- AC Milan sign Krzysztof Piatek as replacement for Chelsea's Gonzalo Higuain
- Balotelli hoping to thrive under Marseille's big expectations
- Phil Neville: Lionesses among the World Cup favourites
- Fulham Aboubakar Kamara arrested for incident at training ground - reports
- Could Diawara step up should Allan join PSG?
- Landon Donovan returns to professional soccer with San Diego Sockers in arena league
- Aguero adds to Man City's aggregate lead
- For most clubs, losing a star like Frenkie De Jong would be a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Barcelona sign Frenkie de Jong from Ajax for ¬75m, joins in summer
- CAF host Continental Seminar for Technical Directors in Cairo
- Beckham: I have such fond memories of Salford
- Henry: Monaco owners will decide my future
- Higuain to sign for Chelsea: Sarri says Milan problems not a 'failure'
- Beckham joins Class of 92 teammates at Salford City
- Pochettino: Alli injury blow comes at 'worst moment' for Tottenham
- Aaron Ramsey leaving Arsenal 'comfort zone' for Juventus - Ryan Giggs
- Ballack: Hazard is a little too calm at Chelsea
- Do Ajax have the best academy in world football?
- Giggs: Juventus' quality will improve Ramsey
- For most clubs, losing top talent is a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Man United charity auction: Solskjaer's watch raises twice as much as Mourinho's
- Eric Bailly from Manchester United to Arsenal 'impossible' in January - source
- Was it wrong for Man City to beat Burton 9-0? Or are critics missing the point of football?
- Banyana Banyana, Sweden share spoils in Cape Town
- Nigeria name Flying Eagles squad for Niger 2019
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Real Madrid to beat Man City to £90m Paulo Dybala
- Rumour Rater: Arsenal eye Gelson Martins on loan; PSG want Julian Weigl