The Confederation of African Football (Caf) have committed to much better pitches at Afcon 2019 after the quality of pitches was a matter of great concern at the just concluded edition in Gabon.
Players and coaches complained about the quality of the pitches during the three-week tournament and the continental governing body have revealed that they will do everything possible to ensure that pitches are high quality in Cameroon, the next hosts.
Caf spokesperson Junior Binyam disclosed: “Our consultants for Caf pitches will start working from now with Cameroon to make sure that everything will be okay on the D-day when it comes to Afcon 2019.
“We are considering in the future to have a couple of games on those new pitches to be able to certify that they are in good condition to support the games and a tournament of this standard.”
However, Binyam said that despite this glitch, Afcon 2017 was a successful tournament, especially considering that Gabon had less than 15 months to put in place this tournament, “which is the third highest football tournament in the world”.
“They had two venues and a bit of experience from 2012 when they co-hosted with Equatorial Guinea but there were two new venues to be put in place in a short period of time.
“We are not undermining that we had a challenge with pitches, not only the pitch of Port Gentil and that challenge we mentioned prior to the kickoff of the tournament.
“We mentioned that if there is a single challenge to be considered, it will be the pitch of Port Gentil because a lot was done to have the best pitch ever but some conditions did not allow it to happen.”
Ghana left back Baba Rahman attributed his knee injury to the pitch in Port Gentil while Egypt, who also played in Group D, lost up to five players through injuries but Binyam insisted that there is no scientific proof to show that their injuries were connected to the pitch.
Cameroon will host Afcon 2019 at four venues including the newly renovated Stade Ahmadou Ahidjo and the Limbe Stadium that successfully hosted the 2016 Africa Women’s Cup of Nations.
Latest Nigeria News
- Gregory van der Wiel to leave Toronto FC after training camp bust-up with Greg Vanney - source
- Transfer Talk: Martin Skriniar dismisses talk of Manchester United move
- Barcelona boss Valverde defends Messi omission in Copa del Rey defeat
- Malcom, Philippe Coutinho both struggle again as Barca dig another Copa del Rey hole
- Nicol: De Jong good enough to play straight away
- Higuain will score goals, but is that enough?
- Dani Alves, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting both 7/10 but Neymar injured in PSG's cup win
- Portland Timbers pursuing Tigres striker Julian Quinones - source
- Central Coast Mariners sign former Reading star Jem Karacan
- Jets weather late Mariners storm
- Sydney FC hold on for all three points
- Adelaide and Perth settle for goalless draw
- Berhalter hopeful young USMNT will absorb new concepts
- AC Milan sign Krzysztof Piatek as replacement for Chelsea's Gonzalo Higuain
- Balotelli hoping to thrive under Marseille's big expectations
- Phil Neville: Lionesses among the World Cup favourites
- Fulham Aboubakar Kamara arrested for incident at training ground - reports
- Could Diawara step up should Allan join PSG?
- Landon Donovan returns to professional soccer with San Diego Sockers in arena league
- Aguero adds to Man City's aggregate lead
- For most clubs, losing a star like Frenkie De Jong would be a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Barcelona sign Frenkie de Jong from Ajax for ¬75m, joins in summer
- CAF host Continental Seminar for Technical Directors in Cairo
- Beckham: I have such fond memories of Salford
- Henry: Monaco owners will decide my future
- Higuain to sign for Chelsea: Sarri says Milan problems not a 'failure'
- Beckham joins Class of 92 teammates at Salford City
- Pochettino: Alli injury blow comes at 'worst moment' for Tottenham
- Aaron Ramsey leaving Arsenal 'comfort zone' for Juventus - Ryan Giggs
- Ballack: Hazard is a little too calm at Chelsea
- Do Ajax have the best academy in world football?
- Giggs: Juventus' quality will improve Ramsey
- For most clubs, losing top talent is a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Man United charity auction: Solskjaer's watch raises twice as much as Mourinho's
- Eric Bailly from Manchester United to Arsenal 'impossible' in January - source
- Was it wrong for Man City to beat Burton 9-0? Or are critics missing the point of football?
- Banyana Banyana, Sweden share spoils in Cape Town
- Nigeria name Flying Eagles squad for Niger 2019
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Real Madrid to beat Man City to £90m Paulo Dybala
- Rumour Rater: Arsenal eye Gelson Martins on loan; PSG want Julian Weigl