Nigeria’s scrabble team were champions of the 2016 edition of the Africa Scrabble Championship that took place in Ghana from 15th to the 18th of December.
The four-day event saw 58 players from five African countries - Ghana, Nigeria, Kanya, Uganda and Sierra Leone compete.
After the tournament, Nigeria still emerged the best and first scrabble team on the continent taking the first to fifth positions. Team Kenya came second in the tournament.
The overall best scrabbler and player who accrued the most points in the tournament was Nigeria’s Saidu Ayorinde. Kenya’s Nderitu Gitonga was adjudged the best competitor of the tournament, he came 6th out of the 58 players.
Placca Chrys was Ghana’s best-placed player in the 2016 Africa Scrabble Championship, he placed 13th out of the 58 scrabblers.
President of the Ghana Scrabble Association, George Addo speaking after the closing ceremony said the tournament was a successful one. He also opined that Nigeria was the best team and continue the dominance on the continent.
“Ghana performed creditably; about three players from Ghana were in the first 20,” he said.
He also added that team Ghana did not prepare adequately for the tournament, nevertheless, the team put out their best. Mr Addo also added that the future of scrabble in Ghana looks bleak. “Funding and sponsorship is a big challenge for the sports in Ghana.”
On his part the President of the Nigeria Scrabble Federation and President of the Pan-African Scrabble Association, Sulaiman Garba Gora said even though Ghana accepted to host the tournament in a short notice after the initial host, Gambia pulled out it was keenly contested and successful event.
“It has been wonderful and I will appreciate the effort of the various teams; the future for scrabble in Africa is bright,” he said.
He noted that Nigeria is the best scrabble team in the whole world because they have it as part of their curriculum in their education and its taken serious across the country. “The future of scrabble in Africa is the schools, let us look at the youth and develop them.”
Uganda will be the next host of the African Scrabble Championship in 2018. Meanwhile, Kenya will host the World Scrabble Championship next year.
Latest Nigeria News
- Gregory van der Wiel to leave Toronto FC after training camp bust-up with Greg Vanney - source
- Transfer Talk: Martin Skriniar dismisses talk of Manchester United move
- Barcelona boss Valverde defends Messi omission in Copa del Rey defeat
- Malcom, Philippe Coutinho both struggle again as Barca dig another Copa del Rey hole
- Nicol: De Jong good enough to play straight away
- Higuain will score goals, but is that enough?
- Dani Alves, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting both 7/10 but Neymar injured in PSG's cup win
- Portland Timbers pursuing Tigres striker Julian Quinones - source
- Central Coast Mariners sign former Reading star Jem Karacan
- Jets weather late Mariners storm
- Sydney FC hold on for all three points
- Adelaide and Perth settle for goalless draw
- Berhalter hopeful young USMNT will absorb new concepts
- AC Milan sign Krzysztof Piatek as replacement for Chelsea's Gonzalo Higuain
- Balotelli hoping to thrive under Marseille's big expectations
- Phil Neville: Lionesses among the World Cup favourites
- Fulham Aboubakar Kamara arrested for incident at training ground - reports
- Could Diawara step up should Allan join PSG?
- Landon Donovan returns to professional soccer with San Diego Sockers in arena league
- Aguero adds to Man City's aggregate lead
- For most clubs, losing a star like Frenkie De Jong would be a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Barcelona sign Frenkie de Jong from Ajax for ¬75m, joins in summer
- CAF host Continental Seminar for Technical Directors in Cairo
- Beckham: I have such fond memories of Salford
- Henry: Monaco owners will decide my future
- Higuain to sign for Chelsea: Sarri says Milan problems not a 'failure'
- Beckham joins Class of 92 teammates at Salford City
- Pochettino: Alli injury blow comes at 'worst moment' for Tottenham
- Aaron Ramsey leaving Arsenal 'comfort zone' for Juventus - Ryan Giggs
- Ballack: Hazard is a little too calm at Chelsea
- Do Ajax have the best academy in world football?
- Giggs: Juventus' quality will improve Ramsey
- For most clubs, losing top talent is a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Man United charity auction: Solskjaer's watch raises twice as much as Mourinho's
- Eric Bailly from Manchester United to Arsenal 'impossible' in January - source
- Was it wrong for Man City to beat Burton 9-0? Or are critics missing the point of football?
- Banyana Banyana, Sweden share spoils in Cape Town
- Nigeria name Flying Eagles squad for Niger 2019
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Real Madrid to beat Man City to £90m Paulo Dybala
- Rumour Rater: Arsenal eye Gelson Martins on loan; PSG want Julian Weigl