Cristiano Ronaldo is ready to play for Juventus against Udinese this weekend despite the rape claims made against him, coach Massimiliano Allegri said on Friday as the Italian champions try to maintain their perfect start to the Serie A season.
“Ronaldo is doing well, he is ready to play. His professionalism and his composure on and off the pitch are not in question,” Allegri told a press conference on Friday.
“He is ready to return to action tomorrow.”
READ ALSO: Zimbabwe to cut government jobs, says Minister
US police said Monday they had re-opened an investigation into accusations by former American model Kathryn Mayorga that the Portuguese player raped her in a Las Vegas hotel in June 2009.
Ronaldo has strenuously denied the accusations.
“I’ve known Cristiano for three months now and for over 15 years of his career he has shown to be a great professional both on and off the pitch,” said Allegri of the 33-year-old striker who joined the club from Real Madrid for 100 million euros ($117 million) during the summer.
“He’s dedicated and he’s just as dedicated to social issues, which says it all.”
Juventus travel to Udine in northeastern Italy, on the border with Slovenia, to face Udinese, who are 14th in the table.
Ronaldo was filmed preparing for the game on Thursday, with several Juventus players later posting a photo of a team dinner in a Turin restaurant, with a smiling Ronaldo seated between Blaise Matuidi and Federico Bernardeschi.
“It is normal that we help him during a delicate time, but he has broad enough shoulders to focus on tomorrow’s game, go down onto the pitch and play well,” said Allegri.
Amid the storm of sponsors’ concerns, and the team’s share price taking a hit, Juventus are trying to focus on their quest for an eighth straight league title.
They have a maximum 21 points from seven games, six points ahead of Carlo Ancelotti’s Napoli, who they beat 3-1 in Turin last weekend with Ronaldo setting up all three goals.
“Tomorrow I could go with a front three of Mario Mandzukic, Paulo Dybala and Cristiano Ronaldo, or alternatively one of them could be rested,” said Allegri.
The Turin giants have also won both their Champions League games including last Tuesday’s match against Swiss side Young Boys, with Ronaldo watching from the stands as he was suspended for a red card against Valencia.
“Tomorrow is a match that will ask a lot of the players both physically and mentally, so we must be prepared for that,” Allegri said.
“(Udinese) have lost the last two matches, so we must not be complacent but make sure that we’re on top of our game in order to enter the international break on a high.”
Behind Juventus the battle for European places is very tight with Napoli, who are six points behind the champions in second. Just three points separate the third to eighth-placed teams.
Napoli, Roma and Inter Milan also all won their Champions League games during the week.
Napoli bounced back from their defeat in Turin with a last-gasp Lorenzo Insigne goal snatching a 1-0 win over Liverpool.
“It’s an important victory because it shows our progression, notably on a psychological level,” said Ancelotti ahead of Sunday’s game at home against Sassuolo, joint third with 13 points.
Roma travel to Empoli looking for a third straight league win days after Edin Dzeko’s hat-trick inspired a 5-0 win over Czech side Viktoria Plzen.
Eusebio Di Francesco’s side slumped to ninth after a four-game winless streak, and a win over lowly Empoli would propel them further up the table.
Fiorentina, third with 13 points, face a stiff test at Lazio, in seventh.
Simone Inzaghi’s side were stung by last week’s derby defeat to Roma followed by a heavy 4-1 Europa League defeat at Eintracht Frankfurt.
Inter Milan, also on 13 points, travel to SPAL with city rivals AC Milan, 11th with a game in hand, hosting tailenders Chievo.
Torino v Frosinone (1830)
Cagliari v Bologna (1300), Udinese v Juventus (1600), Empoli v AS Rome (1830)
Genoa v Parma (1030), Atalanta v Sampdoria, Lazio v Fiorentina, AC Milan v Chievo (1300), Napoli v Sassuolo (1600), SPAL v Inter Milan (1830)
Latest Nigeria News
- Highlights | RSL 4-1 NE - Via MLS
- Chelsea's Andreas Christensen may leave in January without first-team chances - father
- Real Salt Lake 4-1 New England: RSL cruise - Via MLS
- Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui dodges questions regarding future
- Pirates seek to end Telkom Knockout bogey and finally lift a trophy
- The Super Eagles Swoop On North Africa
- Adelaide United 1-1 Sydney FC: Le Fondre makes his mark
- Loris Karius in danger of losing Besiktas spot amid social media criticism - reports
- Liverpool's Alberto Moreno assessing options with contract talks in stalemate - sources
- Jose Mourinho won't 'celebrate like crazy' if Man United win at Chelsea
- Real Madrid's Karim Benzema 'totally annoyed' by kidnap allegations against entourage
- Defoe: Levy held players meeting to get me to return to Spurs
- Kenya's Patrick Matasi joins Saint George SC
- Sources: Atlanta United's Gerardo Martino has verbal deal with Mexico after MLS season
- Inter's Milan Skriniar: Gonzalo Higuain not AC Milan's only top forward
- Mulvey: Bolt turning down move not my focus
- Is Chelsea-Man United destined for a dismal draw?
- Stewart Robson gives his Man United best XI
- Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory are preseason favourites as A-League kicks off
- Julie Foudy's World Cup qualifying takeaways
- Sunday's Milan Derby: Who has the edge?
- Shaka's Power Rankings: International edition!
- England win against Spain shows futility of being 'drunk on stats' - Sean Dyche
- FA 'seriously concerned' with social-media abuse of England's Karen Carney
- LA Galaxy's Zlatan Ibrahimovic ready to play on Minnesota turf with playoffs on line
- FC Dallas homegrown players train in Munich - Via Bayern
- Steve Nicol: Luke Shaw succeeding in spite of Mourinho
- Fantasy La Liga: Modric primed for big day
- Premier League Predictor: Can Chelsea stay at the top?
- UEFA still probing reported fan incidents in Paris Saint-Germain, Red Star match
- Emery urges caution after strong Arsenal run
- Tottenham didn't buy in summer window because targets were 'unaffordable' - Pochettino
- Transfer Rater: Conte to Real Madrid? Giroud to West Ham?
- Mourinho, Man United back in spotlight to face Chelsea, Juventus tests
- Russia internationals Pavel Mamaev, Alexander Kokorin charged with hooliganism, battery
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Antonio Conte to replace Julen Lopetegui at Real Madrid?
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw signs new contract at Old Trafford - sources
- Kaizer Chiefs confirm lengthy Lebogang Manyama lay-off((
- Telkom Knockout provides latest chance for silverware
- DC United 1-0 Toronto FC: Rooney's stunner seals win - Via MLS