Ladan Bosso has parted ways with FC IfeauyiUbah after the club failed to pay players their salaries.
IfeanyiUbah reportedly owe their players up to eight months in salaries and allowances. In August, the players were reported to have gone on a strike and refused to train for a week in order to press home their demands – however, the action yielded no result.
Club owner Ifeanyi Ubah told journalists in August that the club was unable to pay the players because they had yet to receive payments in the last two seasons from the League Management Company for participating in the Nigeria Professional Football League.
Bosso, who is the President of the Nigeria Coaches Association, told our correspondent on the telephone on Thursday that he had spoken with the club management but decided to quit after the talks yielded no results.
“It is a well-known fact that you cannot play football on an empty stomach. These players are the major actors in the sport and without them, whatever I know as a coach will come to nothing,” he said.
“It has been a year I joined the club and I decided to quit after our exit from the Aiteo Cup because the players have not been paid for a while and it has affected the team’s activities. I cannot be a party to a situation where players are denied what is due to them – most of these players are breadwinners of their families and they can’t play good football when their mind is divided between the game and how to provide for their families.
“The failure to pay the players’ salaries affected our performances in the Aiteo Cup and I couldn’t blame the players because I knew what they were going through. I spoke with the management and explained my stand to them but since nothing tangible happened, I decided it was time to leave.
“I have always been in the forefront of fighting for the right of players because I know that happy players will result in good performances on the pitch – they will play their hearts out knowing that they have nothing to worry about. But if the club still need my services, they should settle the players and after that we can talk about a new contract.”
IfeanyiUbah, who won the Aiteo Cup in 2016, were 17th in the NPFL before the league was suspended after 24 rounds of matches. They were also eliminated from the Aiteo Cup by second-tier league side J. Atete in the round of 32.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- AC Milan lose to Olympiakos, will miss out on Europa League knockouts
- Paris Saint-Germain-Dijon among five postponed matches in Ligue 1
- Power Rankings: Barcelona top, Liverpool climb; Juventus, Man City drop
- Youngster Eddie Nketiah impresses, Laurent Koscielny and Mesut Ozil return vs. Qarabag
- Hislop: Dembele's problems stem from childhood
- Europa League exit will pose trouble for Milan
- Shaka's Power Rankings: Barcelona claim top spot
- Extra Time: No love for PSG, refs against Milan, are horses athletes?
- Arsenal teenager Bukayo Saka showed 'big personality' in full debut for Gunners
- Game-worn Diego Maradona shirts get ¬18,500 at auction
- Barcelona's Jordi Alba: No dressing room issues with Ousmane Dembele
- Man United supporters frustrated at present but can look to past for Anfield inspiration
- Exploding Heads: Sol Campbell is a genius
- Ex-Argentina boss Jorge Sampaoli to join Brazilian club Santos
- Game-worn Diego Maradona shirts fetch ¬18,500 at auction
- Fantasy Premier League: Kane earns the armband
- Fantasy La Liga: Lionel Messi leads the line
- Nicol: Liverpool have enough to cover recent injuries
- Premier League Predictor: Showdown at Anfield
- FIFA president Gianni Infantino: Most federations favour 48-team World Cup in 2022
- Transfer Rater: Pochettino to Real Madrid? Pogba back to Juve?
- Sensational Giroud free kick earns Chelsea draw vs. Vidi in Europa League
- Liverpool to beat struggling Man United? Juventus to overcome Torino?
- Tottenham express 'great concern' at fan claims of mistreatment by Barcelona security
- Barcelona defender Gerard Pique linked with interest in buying FC Andorra
- Champions League XI: Mo Salah and Leroy Sane lead team of the week
- Thomas Muller's flying kick vs. Ajax was eerily accurate recreation of Bundesliga logo
- England FA CEO Martin Glenn to quit role at end of 2018-19 season
- Mourinho: Two players would make Man United team after Valencia loss
- Man United's lack of team spirit, Mourinho's negativity explains wide gap to rivals Liverpool
- Babbel: Wanderers can be giant killers
- Loftus-Cheek: Sterling right to speak out at racism
- Shaka Hislop explains why Zack Steffen chose Man City
- The pressure is on for France, Women's World Cup host
- Youthful Real Madrid beaten soundly by CSKA in group stage finale
- Columbus Crew SC interviews ex-Red Bulls GM Ali Curtis - sources
- Manchester United fall to Valencia, miss chance to win Champions League group
- Young Boys stun Juventus with brace from Guillaume Hoarau
- Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele apologised to team after being late to training - Carles Alena
- Man City win group as Sane double sinks Hoffenheim