Cristiano Ronaldo has been left out of Portugal’s next four internationals, the national coach Fernando Santos said Thursday, days after rape allegations against the Real Madrid star resurfaced.
Fernando Santos told a press conference that he and the President of the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) Fernando Gomes talked to Ronaldo and “we agreed that the player was not available for this or the next call up”.
“I will not reveal the details of the conversation we three had,” said Fernando Santos when pressed by reporters.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner missed the two internationals Portugal played in September. At the time, Fernando Santos suggested that the 33-year-old’s absence was temporary and intended to help the star attacker adapt after his move from Real Madrid to Juventus.
READ ALSO: APC NWC cancels National Assembly primaries in Edo
“This is not what I am saying now,” Fernando Santos said on Thursday when asked if the explanation was the same.
The omission comes as Ronaldo, one of the world’s most successful and hightly-paid sportsmen, faces down allegations of rape.
Last month, an American woman, Kathryn Mayorga, accused Ronaldo in a 32-page complaint filed with a district court in Nevada, of raping her on June 13, 2009.
Asked about the allegations, Fernando Santos defended the player. “I know Cristiano Ronaldo very well and I fully believe his word when he says e would never commit a crime like this.”
Earlier Fernando Gomes also spoke up for Ronaldo.
“I believe what he said… because I’ve known Ronaldo for many years and I can attest to his good character,” Fernando Gomes said.
Ronaldo, Portugal’s captain, will miss three Nations League games, against Poland on October 17 and against Italy and Poland in November and a friendly against Scotland later this month.
Meanwhile, Eder, who scored the extra-time winner as Portugal beat France in the final of Euro 2016 but was dropped for the World Cup in Russia, returns to the 25-man squad
Goalkeepers: Rui Patricio (Wolves/ENG), Beto (Goztepe/TUR), Claudio Ramos (Tondela)
Defenders: Cedric Soares (Southampton/ENG), Joao Cancelo (Juventus/ITA), Kevin Rodrigues (Real Sociedad/ESP), Luis Neto (Zenit/RUS), Mario Rui (Napoli/ITA), Pedro Mendes (Montpellier/FRA), Pepe (Besiktas/TUR), Ruben Dias (Benfica)
Midfielders: Bruno Fernandes (Sporting), Danilo Pereira (FC Porto), Gedson Fernandes (Benfica), Pizzi (Benfica), Renato Sanches (Bayern Munich/GER), Ruben Neves (Wolves/ENG), Sergio Oliveira (FC Porto), William Carvalho (Betis/ESP)
Forwards: Andre Silva (Sevilla/ESP), Bernardo Silva (Manchester City/ENG), Bruma (Leipzig/GER), Eder (Lokomotiv Moscow/RUS), Goncalo Guedes (Valencia/ESP), Helder Costa (Wolves/ENG).
Latest Nigeria News
- Germany can find hope in France defeat: It's a million miles away from how they played in Russia
- Arsenal's Mesut Ozil, Shkodran Mustafi answer questions set by spin of the wheel
- U.S. finally has hope in Sargent, Weah and Amon, but youngsters need time
- The longevity of David Silva - via Man City
- Shahid Khan withdraws offer to purchase Wembley from English FA
- What's wrong with Alexis Sanchez? Even Jose Mourinho thinks it's a mystery
- Hirving Lozano not the only young talent set to lead Mexico forward
- Neymar: We give our lives for this jersey
- Spain's Sergio Ramos: 'Nothing else to say' about Raheem Sterling stamp
- Group-by-group permutations for remaining AFCON qualifiers
- Manchester United icon Ryan Giggs: Harry Wilson free kick technique like David Beckham
- Valderrama: Real Madrid was wrong to give up James Rodríguez
- Transfer Rater: Dejan Lovren and Branislav Ivanovic to Barcelona
- Real Madrid write to Spanish FA, formally object to Girona-Barcelona game in U.S.
- Ex-Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger eyes January return to management
- Manchester United's Jose Mourinho set to be on touchline at Chelsea despite FA charge
- 'Harry Maguire riding inflatable unicorn on new £50 note' petition backed by Kyle Walker
- Odion Ighalo received death threats
- Usain Bolt turns down two-year contract with Valletta FC
- Brisbane Roar worried about Tommy Oar, Ross McCormack rather than Usain Bolt
- John Terry says he has hopes to be a manager, but needs more time
- Mexico's Hugo Gonzalez 7/10 for solid saves in loss to Chile
- Ricardo Ferretti lauds Mexico youngsters: '80 percent of them will be in next World Cup'
- Gernot Rohr pleased with young Super Eagles despite wobble
- Exclusive: Nigeria hero Odion Ighalo nearly quit after death threats
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Lionel Messi can leave Barcelona for free in 2020
- Melbourne City's Bruno Fornaroli aiming to produce 'something special' in final year of contract
- United States 1-1 Peru: USMNT hold on for draw
- Sargent: Coach Sarachan came up with set-piece play
- Twellman: U.S. need to create more chances during run of play
- U.S. attack show flashes, but 'rawness' again an obvious theme in draw with Peru
- Central Coast Mariners captain Matt Simon refuses to comment on Usain Bolt contract
- USMNT's Josh Sargent 8/10, shows promise in partnership with Tim Weah
- Last-minunte goal by Nicolas Castillo gives Chile win over Mexico
- Mexico made key strides in respectable last-minute loss to Chile
- Disappointing Peru draw a 'big picture' win for the United States - Dave Sarachan
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Liverpool eye move for Napoli striker Lorenzo Insigne
- Barcelona to tour Asia in 2019 after consecutive visits to United States
- UEFA charges Romania for racist chants, fan misconduct in match against Serbia
- Uganda's Mathias Kigonya quits Sofapaka