Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek could feature in the starting line-up for the first time this season in Thursday’s Europa League match against Hungarian champions Vidi, Maurizio Sarri has said.
The 22-year-old England player has recovered from a shin problem and is in line for a call-up while Spain winger Pedro has recovered from a shoulder problem.
“I have to speak to Pedro. He’s doing better, like Loftus-Cheek. And so I think tomorrow every player is available,” said Sarri. “I have to change five, six, seven players — I don’t know at the moment (how many).”
READ ALSO: I’ll resign if Supreme Court faults INEC on Osun gov poll –REC
“Maybe tomorrow it’s time to see Loftus-Cheek, I think,” the Italian manager added. “He was unlucky in the last three weeks, after the national team (break). He had a problem. In the last five, six days, he has been better, so I think he is able to play tomorrow.”
Last season Loftus-Cheek enjoyed an impressive loan spell at Crystal Palace and was rewarded with a place in England’s World Cup squad. But the young midfielder has remained on the fringes of first-team action at Chelsea.
He has made just two substitute appearances this season for Chelsea but he retained his place in the England squad and played an hour in the recent friendly against Switzerland.
Despite his recent lack of game time for Chelsea, he will hope to be involved in the England squad for upcoming matches against World Cup runners-up Croatia and Spain.
Chelsea opened their Europa League campaign with a 1-0 win at PAOK in Greece and new manager Sarri is targeting victory in the competition, which would give entry to the Champions League.
Latest Nigeria News
- Highlights | RSL 4-1 NE - Via MLS
- Chelsea's Andreas Christensen may leave in January without first-team chances - father
- Real Salt Lake 4-1 New England: RSL cruise - Via MLS
- Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui dodges questions regarding future
- Pirates seek to end Telkom Knockout bogey and finally lift a trophy
- The Super Eagles Swoop On North Africa
- Adelaide United 1-1 Sydney FC: Le Fondre makes his mark
- Loris Karius in danger of losing Besiktas spot amid social media criticism - reports
- Liverpool's Alberto Moreno assessing options with contract talks in stalemate - sources
- Jose Mourinho won't 'celebrate like crazy' if Man United win at Chelsea
- Real Madrid's Karim Benzema 'totally annoyed' by kidnap allegations against entourage
- Defoe: Levy held players meeting to get me to return to Spurs
- Kenya's Patrick Matasi joins Saint George SC
- Sources: Atlanta United's Gerardo Martino has verbal deal with Mexico after MLS season
- Inter's Milan Skriniar: Gonzalo Higuain not AC Milan's only top forward
- Mulvey: Bolt turning down move not my focus
- Is Chelsea-Man United destined for a dismal draw?
- Stewart Robson gives his Man United best XI
- Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory are preseason favourites as A-League kicks off
- Julie Foudy's World Cup qualifying takeaways
- Sunday's Milan Derby: Who has the edge?
- Shaka's Power Rankings: International edition!
- England win against Spain shows futility of being 'drunk on stats' - Sean Dyche
- FA 'seriously concerned' with social-media abuse of England's Karen Carney
- LA Galaxy's Zlatan Ibrahimovic ready to play on Minnesota turf with playoffs on line
- FC Dallas homegrown players train in Munich - Via Bayern
- Steve Nicol: Luke Shaw succeeding in spite of Mourinho
- Fantasy La Liga: Modric primed for big day
- Premier League Predictor: Can Chelsea stay at the top?
- UEFA still probing reported fan incidents in Paris Saint-Germain, Red Star match
- Emery urges caution after strong Arsenal run
- Tottenham didn't buy in summer window because targets were 'unaffordable' - Pochettino
- Transfer Rater: Conte to Real Madrid? Giroud to West Ham?
- Mourinho, Man United back in spotlight to face Chelsea, Juventus tests
- Russia internationals Pavel Mamaev, Alexander Kokorin charged with hooliganism, battery
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Antonio Conte to replace Julen Lopetegui at Real Madrid?
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw signs new contract at Old Trafford - sources
- Kaizer Chiefs confirm lengthy Lebogang Manyama lay-off((
- Telkom Knockout provides latest chance for silverware
- DC United 1-0 Toronto FC: Rooney's stunner seals win - Via MLS