Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr, has invited winger Moses Simon and ex-junior international Isaac Success alongside 22 other players for this month’s 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying fixtures against Libya’s Mediterranean Knights.
But Italy-based Simy Nwankwo, who was in the squad in the AFCON qualifier against Seychelles in September, suffered a shock omission, while Porto midfielder Kelechi Nwakali, was dropped by the German manager after making the squad against Seychelles.
The first leg holds on October 13 at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium, Uyo with the return fixture billed for Stade Taieb Mhiri, Sfax, three days later.
New Levante signing Simon makes a return to the side after being dropped from the Russia 2018 World Cup on the eve of the tournament, due to injury, while Watford forward Success has another chance to stake a fight for a place in the team, having been ignored since he made his senior debut against Senegal on March 23, 2017.
Towering Crotone forward, Nwankwo would be disappointed not to have made Rohr’s list after he grabbed his first international goal in a ceremonial tie against Liberia in Monrovia last month.
Captain Mikel Obi is also omitted from the double-header after missing the tie against Seychelles.
Arsenal forward Alex Iwobi, who scored the goal against Zambia that qualified Nigeria for the 2018 World Cup in Uyo a year ago, is also back to the squad alongside Italy-based duo William Troost-Ekong and Olaoluwa Aina. The trio missed the 3-0 win over Seychelles in Mahe last month due to injury.
In-form Ahmed Musa, who scored a cracker against Seychelles, also made the cut for the game with young goalkeeper Francis Uzoho, Brighton centre-back Leon Balogun and Leicester midfielder Wilfred Ndidi joining the Saudi Arabia-based player in the squad.
China-based forward OdionIghalo and Russia-based defender Bryan Idowu are also called up against Group E leaders Libya in the Match day 3 and 4 games.
Enyimba goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa is the only home-based player in the squad.
All the invited players are to report to Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital, on October 8.
The Eagles are currently third in Group E of the AFCON qualifiers after losing 2-0 to South Africa in Uyo last year before bouncing back to beat Seychelles 3-0 awa y from home.
Libya and South Africa are tied on four points but the North Africans lead the group on superior goals margin.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- AC Milan lose to Olympiakos, will miss out on Europa League knockouts
- Paris Saint-Germain-Dijon among five postponed matches in Ligue 1
- Power Rankings: Barcelona top, Liverpool climb; Juventus, Man City drop
- Youngster Eddie Nketiah impresses, Laurent Koscielny and Mesut Ozil return vs. Qarabag
- Hislop: Dembele's problems stem from childhood
- Europa League exit will pose trouble for Milan
- Shaka's Power Rankings: Barcelona claim top spot
- Extra Time: No love for PSG, refs against Milan, are horses athletes?
- Arsenal teenager Bukayo Saka showed 'big personality' in full debut for Gunners
- Game-worn Diego Maradona shirts get ¬18,500 at auction
- Barcelona's Jordi Alba: No dressing room issues with Ousmane Dembele
- Man United supporters frustrated at present but can look to past for Anfield inspiration
- Exploding Heads: Sol Campbell is a genius
- Ex-Argentina boss Jorge Sampaoli to join Brazilian club Santos
- Game-worn Diego Maradona shirts fetch ¬18,500 at auction
- Fantasy Premier League: Kane earns the armband
- Fantasy La Liga: Lionel Messi leads the line
- Nicol: Liverpool have enough to cover recent injuries
- Premier League Predictor: Showdown at Anfield
- FIFA president Gianni Infantino: Most federations favour 48-team World Cup in 2022
- Transfer Rater: Pochettino to Real Madrid? Pogba back to Juve?
- Sensational Giroud free kick earns Chelsea draw vs. Vidi in Europa League
- Liverpool to beat struggling Man United? Juventus to overcome Torino?
- Tottenham express 'great concern' at fan claims of mistreatment by Barcelona security
- Barcelona defender Gerard Pique linked with interest in buying FC Andorra
- Champions League XI: Mo Salah and Leroy Sane lead team of the week
- Thomas Muller's flying kick vs. Ajax was eerily accurate recreation of Bundesliga logo
- England FA CEO Martin Glenn to quit role at end of 2018-19 season
- Mourinho: Two players would make Man United team after Valencia loss
- Man United's lack of team spirit, Mourinho's negativity explains wide gap to rivals Liverpool
- Babbel: Wanderers can be giant killers
- Loftus-Cheek: Sterling right to speak out at racism
- Shaka Hislop explains why Zack Steffen chose Man City
- The pressure is on for France, Women's World Cup host
- Youthful Real Madrid beaten soundly by CSKA in group stage finale
- Columbus Crew SC interviews ex-Red Bulls GM Ali Curtis - sources
- Manchester United fall to Valencia, miss chance to win Champions League group
- Young Boys stun Juventus with brace from Guillaume Hoarau
- Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele apologised to team after being late to training - Carles Alena
- Man City win group as Sane double sinks Hoffenheim