Diego Simeone has pledged his full support to Diego Costa, despite the Atletico Madrid striker’s La Liga drought ahead of Saturday’s derby against Real Madrid.
Costa scored twice against Real as Atletico lifted the European Super Cup in August and, going further back, he hit the winner at the Santiago Bernabeu in 2013, before leaving to join Chelsea.
He has struggled for goals this season, however, managing only one in the Champions League against Monaco while in La Liga he has not found the net since February, a run that includes 15 matches.
READ ALSO: Osun election: Democracy in Nigeria is dead – Fayose
“I see him being in fantastic form and for me, in the first half the other day (against Huesca), he was above everyone else, he played very well,” Simeone said on Friday.
“He was involved in our first goal with an assist and was always always moving and causing problems. Physically, he is strong and against Madrid, I expect him to have a great game.”
Atletico will jump above their city rivals with a win this weekend, after reducing a seven-point gap to two over the last fortnight.
As well as recording back-to-back wins over Getafe and Huesca, Real have slipped up against Athletic Bilbao before being blown away on Wednesday by Sevilla.
“I look beyond the last game when I look at Madrid,” Simeone said. “They didn’t have a good match in the first half but that can happen against Sevilla because they are a great team.
“I look at them and think about the talent and potential they have. We know we’re going to face one of the best teams in the world.”
Real had made an excellent start to the season, with many predicting Julen Lopetegui’s team could prove more unified and better balanced without Cristiano Ronaldo.
But five points dropped in three games, and a worrying susceptibility to counter-attacks against Sevilla, has allowed doubts to creep in.
“In football everything can change very fast,” Lopetegui said.
“Immediately we have a magnificent challenge, a derby against Atletico, and just as we did not get carried away by the victories, we don’t get bogged down by a defeat.”
Marcelo pulled up with an injury against Sevilla, which Real confirmed on Friday as a calf strain.
The full-back is expected to be out for around two weeks, with his availability for Real’s Champions League trip to CSKA Moscow on Tuesday also in doubt.
Latest Nigeria News
- Highlights | RSL 4-1 NE - Via MLS
- Chelsea's Andreas Christensen may leave in January without first-team chances - father
- Real Salt Lake 4-1 New England: RSL cruise - Via MLS
- Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui dodges questions regarding future
- Pirates seek to end Telkom Knockout bogey and finally lift a trophy
- The Super Eagles Swoop On North Africa
- Adelaide United 1-1 Sydney FC: Le Fondre makes his mark
- Loris Karius in danger of losing Besiktas spot amid social media criticism - reports
- Liverpool's Alberto Moreno assessing options with contract talks in stalemate - sources
- Jose Mourinho won't 'celebrate like crazy' if Man United win at Chelsea
- Real Madrid's Karim Benzema 'totally annoyed' by kidnap allegations against entourage
- Defoe: Levy held players meeting to get me to return to Spurs
- Kenya's Patrick Matasi joins Saint George SC
- Sources: Atlanta United's Gerardo Martino has verbal deal with Mexico after MLS season
- Inter's Milan Skriniar: Gonzalo Higuain not AC Milan's only top forward
- Mulvey: Bolt turning down move not my focus
- Is Chelsea-Man United destined for a dismal draw?
- Stewart Robson gives his Man United best XI
- Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory are preseason favourites as A-League kicks off
- Julie Foudy's World Cup qualifying takeaways
- Sunday's Milan Derby: Who has the edge?
- Shaka's Power Rankings: International edition!
- England win against Spain shows futility of being 'drunk on stats' - Sean Dyche
- FA 'seriously concerned' with social-media abuse of England's Karen Carney
- LA Galaxy's Zlatan Ibrahimovic ready to play on Minnesota turf with playoffs on line
- FC Dallas homegrown players train in Munich - Via Bayern
- Steve Nicol: Luke Shaw succeeding in spite of Mourinho
- Fantasy La Liga: Modric primed for big day
- Premier League Predictor: Can Chelsea stay at the top?
- UEFA still probing reported fan incidents in Paris Saint-Germain, Red Star match
- Emery urges caution after strong Arsenal run
- Tottenham didn't buy in summer window because targets were 'unaffordable' - Pochettino
- Transfer Rater: Conte to Real Madrid? Giroud to West Ham?
- Mourinho, Man United back in spotlight to face Chelsea, Juventus tests
- Russia internationals Pavel Mamaev, Alexander Kokorin charged with hooliganism, battery
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Antonio Conte to replace Julen Lopetegui at Real Madrid?
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw signs new contract at Old Trafford - sources
- Kaizer Chiefs confirm lengthy Lebogang Manyama lay-off((
- Telkom Knockout provides latest chance for silverware
- DC United 1-0 Toronto FC: Rooney's stunner seals win - Via MLS