Nigeria’s D’Tigress have crashed out of the FIBA Women’s World Cup holding in Spain, after the USA team beat them 71-40.
According to the FIBA Liveblog, D’Tigress started the game on a winning note as they held USA to nine points in the first quarter, the first time ever that happened to USA in World Cup/Olympics history.
Unfortunately, Nigeria’s female Basketball team couldn’t sustain the tempo against the defending champions.
Speaking at the end of the game, the D’Tigress’ Head Coach, Otis Hughley Jr said, “I love these girls. I have two biological daughters and I feel like I have 12 more daughters. I thought they fought really well in the first half. I think the difference in the game is who shot well. I thought we played exponentially above what we have. Our girls dug down until there was nothing left. I’ve never felt so happy after a 31-point loss.”
READ ALSO: PHOTOS: Fighter jet pilot survives crash in Abuja
One of the Nigerian players, Evelyn Akhator said, “I really love the team so much. It’s my first year of playing for the national team and this is the best group ever. Our commitment and dedication is something special. I can’t wait to play with this group again. It’s huge to come here from Nigeria and finish in the top eight of the competition.”
For her part, USA play-caller, Dawn Staley said, “It was a hard fought game. Nigeria came out and pressured us and it bothered us probably in the first 20 minutes of the game, and then we made an adjustment in the style of play. We started making plays. Hats go off to Nigeria, but at the same time I am proud of the team for making the adjustments needed and turning it around in the first.”
Nigeria beat Greece and Turkey to get into the quarter-finals, a feat never achieved by an African nation in Basketball.
Latest Nigeria News
- Highlights | RSL 4-1 NE - Via MLS
- Chelsea's Andreas Christensen may leave in January without first-team chances - father
- Real Salt Lake 4-1 New England: RSL cruise - Via MLS
- Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui dodges questions regarding future
- Pirates seek to end Telkom Knockout bogey and finally lift a trophy
- The Super Eagles Swoop On North Africa
- Adelaide United 1-1 Sydney FC: Le Fondre makes his mark
- Loris Karius in danger of losing Besiktas spot amid social media criticism - reports
- Liverpool's Alberto Moreno assessing options with contract talks in stalemate - sources
- Jose Mourinho won't 'celebrate like crazy' if Man United win at Chelsea
- Real Madrid's Karim Benzema 'totally annoyed' by kidnap allegations against entourage
- Defoe: Levy held players meeting to get me to return to Spurs
- Kenya's Patrick Matasi joins Saint George SC
- Sources: Atlanta United's Gerardo Martino has verbal deal with Mexico after MLS season
- Inter's Milan Skriniar: Gonzalo Higuain not AC Milan's only top forward
- Mulvey: Bolt turning down move not my focus
- Is Chelsea-Man United destined for a dismal draw?
- Stewart Robson gives his Man United best XI
- Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory are preseason favourites as A-League kicks off
- Julie Foudy's World Cup qualifying takeaways
- Sunday's Milan Derby: Who has the edge?
- Shaka's Power Rankings: International edition!
- England win against Spain shows futility of being 'drunk on stats' - Sean Dyche
- FA 'seriously concerned' with social-media abuse of England's Karen Carney
- LA Galaxy's Zlatan Ibrahimovic ready to play on Minnesota turf with playoffs on line
- FC Dallas homegrown players train in Munich - Via Bayern
- Steve Nicol: Luke Shaw succeeding in spite of Mourinho
- Fantasy La Liga: Modric primed for big day
- Premier League Predictor: Can Chelsea stay at the top?
- UEFA still probing reported fan incidents in Paris Saint-Germain, Red Star match
- Emery urges caution after strong Arsenal run
- Tottenham didn't buy in summer window because targets were 'unaffordable' - Pochettino
- Transfer Rater: Conte to Real Madrid? Giroud to West Ham?
- Mourinho, Man United back in spotlight to face Chelsea, Juventus tests
- Russia internationals Pavel Mamaev, Alexander Kokorin charged with hooliganism, battery
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Antonio Conte to replace Julen Lopetegui at Real Madrid?
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw signs new contract at Old Trafford - sources
- Kaizer Chiefs confirm lengthy Lebogang Manyama lay-off((
- Telkom Knockout provides latest chance for silverware
- DC United 1-0 Toronto FC: Rooney's stunner seals win - Via MLS