Manchester City center-back Nicolas Otamendi was recalled to the Argentina squad on Friday but as expected, Lionel Messi was left out of the group due to play arch-rivals Brazil in Saudi Arabia.
After Argentina’s disappointing last-16 elimination by eventual winners France from the World Cup in Russia, Messi was granted time off from national team duties for the rest of the year.
READ ALSO: Facebook says security flaw affected 50m accounts
He missed friendlies in the United States against Guatemala (3-0) and Colombia (0-0) earlier this month and will watch from afar as interim-coach Lionel Scaloni’s team tackle Iraq on October 11, also in Saudi Arabia, and Brazil five days later in another pair of friendlies.
“I’ve spoken with Messi and we agree that it’s not the right time for his return,” said Scaloni.
Alongside Messi, three other attacking stalwarts have been left out: Manchester City’s Sergio Aguero, Angel Di Maria of Paris Saint-Germain, and AC Milan’s Gonzalo Higuain.
Inter Milan duo Mauro Icardi and Lautaro Martinez are in, alongside Giovani Lo Celso of PSG and Juventus forward Paulo Dybala.
Goalkeepers: Franco Armani (River Plate), Geronimo Rulli (Real Sociedad/ESP), Sergio Romero (Manchester United/ENG)
Defenders: Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City/ENG), Renzo Saravia (Racing), Juan Foyth (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG), Fabricio Bustos (Independiente), German Pezzella (Fiorentina/ITA), Alan Franco (Independiente), Ramiro Funes Mori (Villarreal/ESP), Walter Kannemann (Gremio/BRA), Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax/NED)
Midfielders: Eduardo Salvio (Benfica/POR), Marcos Acuna (Sporting Lisbon/POR), Rodrigo De Paul (Udinese/ITA), Roberto Pereyra (Watford/ENG), Santiago Ascacibar (Stuttgart/GER), Leandro Paredes (Zenit/RUS), Rodrigo Battaglia (Sporting Lisbon/POR), Maximiliano Meza (Independiente), Giovani Lo Celso (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA), Franco Cervi (Benfica/POR), Franco Vazquez (Sevilla/ESP), Exequiel Palacios (River Plate)
Forwards: Gonzalo Martinez (River Plate), Cristian Pavon (Boca Juniors), Lautaro Martinez (Inter Milan/ITA), Paulo Dybala (Juventus/ITA), Mauro Icardi (Inter Milan/ITA), Giovanni Simeone (Fiorentina/ITA), Angel Correa (Atletico Madrid/ESP)
Latest Nigeria News
- AC Milan lose to Olympiakos, will miss out on Europa League knockouts
- Paris Saint-Germain-Dijon among five postponed matches in Ligue 1
- Power Rankings: Barcelona top, Liverpool climb; Juventus, Man City drop
- Youngster Eddie Nketiah impresses, Laurent Koscielny and Mesut Ozil return vs. Qarabag
- Hislop: Dembele's problems stem from childhood
- Europa League exit will pose trouble for Milan
- Shaka's Power Rankings: Barcelona claim top spot
- Extra Time: No love for PSG, refs against Milan, are horses athletes?
- Arsenal teenager Bukayo Saka showed 'big personality' in full debut for Gunners
- Game-worn Diego Maradona shirts get ¬18,500 at auction
- Barcelona's Jordi Alba: No dressing room issues with Ousmane Dembele
- Man United supporters frustrated at present but can look to past for Anfield inspiration
- Exploding Heads: Sol Campbell is a genius
- Ex-Argentina boss Jorge Sampaoli to join Brazilian club Santos
- Game-worn Diego Maradona shirts fetch ¬18,500 at auction
- Fantasy Premier League: Kane earns the armband
- Fantasy La Liga: Lionel Messi leads the line
- Nicol: Liverpool have enough to cover recent injuries
- Premier League Predictor: Showdown at Anfield
- FIFA president Gianni Infantino: Most federations favour 48-team World Cup in 2022
- Transfer Rater: Pochettino to Real Madrid? Pogba back to Juve?
- Sensational Giroud free kick earns Chelsea draw vs. Vidi in Europa League
- Liverpool to beat struggling Man United? Juventus to overcome Torino?
- Tottenham express 'great concern' at fan claims of mistreatment by Barcelona security
- Barcelona defender Gerard Pique linked with interest in buying FC Andorra
- Champions League XI: Mo Salah and Leroy Sane lead team of the week
- Thomas Muller's flying kick vs. Ajax was eerily accurate recreation of Bundesliga logo
- England FA CEO Martin Glenn to quit role at end of 2018-19 season
- Mourinho: Two players would make Man United team after Valencia loss
- Man United's lack of team spirit, Mourinho's negativity explains wide gap to rivals Liverpool
- Babbel: Wanderers can be giant killers
- Loftus-Cheek: Sterling right to speak out at racism
- Shaka Hislop explains why Zack Steffen chose Man City
- The pressure is on for France, Women's World Cup host
- Youthful Real Madrid beaten soundly by CSKA in group stage finale
- Columbus Crew SC interviews ex-Red Bulls GM Ali Curtis - sources
- Manchester United fall to Valencia, miss chance to win Champions League group
- Young Boys stun Juventus with brace from Guillaume Hoarau
- Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele apologised to team after being late to training - Carles Alena
- Man City win group as Sane double sinks Hoffenheim