Nigeria on Wednesday became the first African team to qualify for the quarter-finals of the 2018 FIBA Women’s World Basketball Cup in Spain with a 57-56 win over Greece in their qualification match.
D’Tigress face defending champions USA on Friday for a place in the semifinals.
Having finished second in Group B with five points behind Australia, who secured the automatic quarter-final ticket in the group, Nigeria faced Greece, who finished third in Group A.
Despite a strong start from Nigeria, the first quarter ended 15-15 but D’Tigress came out in the second quarter with a 16-11 win. They extended the lead with a 17-11 win in the third quarter but slumped to a 19-9 loss in the fourth quarter.
Former Dallas Wings forward Evelyn Akhator accounted for 14 points, 13 rebounds, two assists, four steals and one block for Nigeria. But Maria Fasoula was the star for Greece as she weighed in 18 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks.
Nigeria converted 34 per cent of their two point field goals against Greece’s 41 per cent. D’Tigress had a three-point field goal conversion rate of 21 per cent against 15 per cent for Greece. Nigeria had a total of 48 rebounds and Greece had 45. The Europeans had 19 turnovers – same as Nigeria.
Greece converted 69 per cent of their throws while D’Tigress managed to convert 59 per cent of their free throws. Nigerian players made 11 assists against Greece’s 12 and D’Tigress made 13 steals against the five made by Greece. Greece five blocks in the match while Nigeria got three blocks.
Both teams had 32 points each in the paint while Nigeria had more fast break points (six) than Greece, who had none.
Kano Pillars coach Sani Ahmed, who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone on Wednesday, said, “They (D’Tigress) have done very well and deserve commendation.The girls have shown that with hard work and determination, anything is possible.
“Their match against USA will be their toughest test but in basketball, anything can happen – the game is not over until after the buzzer.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Highlights | RSL 4-1 NE - Via MLS
- Chelsea's Andreas Christensen may leave in January without first-team chances - father
- Real Salt Lake 4-1 New England: RSL cruise - Via MLS
- Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui dodges questions regarding future
- Pirates seek to end Telkom Knockout bogey and finally lift a trophy
- The Super Eagles Swoop On North Africa
- Adelaide United 1-1 Sydney FC: Le Fondre makes his mark
- Loris Karius in danger of losing Besiktas spot amid social media criticism - reports
- Liverpool's Alberto Moreno assessing options with contract talks in stalemate - sources
- Jose Mourinho won't 'celebrate like crazy' if Man United win at Chelsea
- Real Madrid's Karim Benzema 'totally annoyed' by kidnap allegations against entourage
- Defoe: Levy held players meeting to get me to return to Spurs
- Kenya's Patrick Matasi joins Saint George SC
- Sources: Atlanta United's Gerardo Martino has verbal deal with Mexico after MLS season
- Inter's Milan Skriniar: Gonzalo Higuain not AC Milan's only top forward
- Mulvey: Bolt turning down move not my focus
- Is Chelsea-Man United destined for a dismal draw?
- Stewart Robson gives his Man United best XI
- Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory are preseason favourites as A-League kicks off
- Julie Foudy's World Cup qualifying takeaways
- Sunday's Milan Derby: Who has the edge?
- Shaka's Power Rankings: International edition!
- England win against Spain shows futility of being 'drunk on stats' - Sean Dyche
- FA 'seriously concerned' with social-media abuse of England's Karen Carney
- LA Galaxy's Zlatan Ibrahimovic ready to play on Minnesota turf with playoffs on line
- FC Dallas homegrown players train in Munich - Via Bayern
- Steve Nicol: Luke Shaw succeeding in spite of Mourinho
- Fantasy La Liga: Modric primed for big day
- Premier League Predictor: Can Chelsea stay at the top?
- UEFA still probing reported fan incidents in Paris Saint-Germain, Red Star match
- Emery urges caution after strong Arsenal run
- Tottenham didn't buy in summer window because targets were 'unaffordable' - Pochettino
- Transfer Rater: Conte to Real Madrid? Giroud to West Ham?
- Mourinho, Man United back in spotlight to face Chelsea, Juventus tests
- Russia internationals Pavel Mamaev, Alexander Kokorin charged with hooliganism, battery
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Antonio Conte to replace Julen Lopetegui at Real Madrid?
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw signs new contract at Old Trafford - sources
- Kaizer Chiefs confirm lengthy Lebogang Manyama lay-off((
- Telkom Knockout provides latest chance for silverware
- DC United 1-0 Toronto FC: Rooney's stunner seals win - Via MLS