Nigeria on Wednesday became the first African team to qualify for the quarter-finals of the 2018 FIBA Women’s World Basketball Cup in Spain with a 57-56 win over Greece in their qualification match.
D’Tigress face defending champions USA on Friday for a place in the semifinals.
Having finished second in Group B with five points behind Australia, who secured the automatic quarter-final ticket in the group, Nigeria faced Greece, who finished third in Group A.
Despite a strong start from Nigeria, the first quarter ended 15-15 but D’Tigress came out in the second quarter with a 16-11 win. They extended the lead with a 17-11 win in the third quarter but slumped to a 19-9 loss in the fourth quarter.
Former Dallas Wings forward Evelyn Akhator accounted for 14 points, 13 rebounds, two assists, four steals and one block for Nigeria. But Maria Fasoula was the star for Greece as she weighed in 18 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks.
Nigeria converted 34 per cent of their two point field goals against Greece’s 41 per cent. D’Tigress had a three-point field goal conversion rate of 21 per cent against 15 per cent for Greece. Nigeria had a total of 48 rebounds and Greece had 45. The Europeans had 19 turnovers – same as Nigeria.
Greece converted 69 per cent of their throws while D’Tigress managed to convert 59 per cent of their free throws. Nigerian players made 11 assists against Greece’s 12 and D’Tigress made 13 steals against the five made by Greece. Greece five blocks in the match while Nigeria got three blocks.
Both teams had 32 points each in the paint while Nigeria had more fast break points (six) than Greece, who had none.
Kano Pillars coach Sani Ahmed, who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone on Wednesday, said, “They (D’Tigress) have done very well and deserve commendation.The girls have shown that with hard work and determination, anything is possible.
“Their match against USA will be their toughest test but in basketball, anything can happen – the game is not over until after the buzzer.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- AC Milan lose to Olympiakos, will miss out on Europa League knockouts
- Paris Saint-Germain-Dijon among five postponed matches in Ligue 1
- Power Rankings: Barcelona top, Liverpool climb; Juventus, Man City drop
- Youngster Eddie Nketiah impresses, Laurent Koscielny and Mesut Ozil return vs. Qarabag
- Hislop: Dembele's problems stem from childhood
- Europa League exit will pose trouble for Milan
- Shaka's Power Rankings: Barcelona claim top spot
- Extra Time: No love for PSG, refs against Milan, are horses athletes?
- Arsenal teenager Bukayo Saka showed 'big personality' in full debut for Gunners
- Game-worn Diego Maradona shirts get ¬18,500 at auction
- Barcelona's Jordi Alba: No dressing room issues with Ousmane Dembele
- Man United supporters frustrated at present but can look to past for Anfield inspiration
- Exploding Heads: Sol Campbell is a genius
- Ex-Argentina boss Jorge Sampaoli to join Brazilian club Santos
- Game-worn Diego Maradona shirts fetch ¬18,500 at auction
- Fantasy Premier League: Kane earns the armband
- Fantasy La Liga: Lionel Messi leads the line
- Nicol: Liverpool have enough to cover recent injuries
- Premier League Predictor: Showdown at Anfield
- FIFA president Gianni Infantino: Most federations favour 48-team World Cup in 2022
- Transfer Rater: Pochettino to Real Madrid? Pogba back to Juve?
- Sensational Giroud free kick earns Chelsea draw vs. Vidi in Europa League
- Liverpool to beat struggling Man United? Juventus to overcome Torino?
- Tottenham express 'great concern' at fan claims of mistreatment by Barcelona security
- Barcelona defender Gerard Pique linked with interest in buying FC Andorra
- Champions League XI: Mo Salah and Leroy Sane lead team of the week
- Thomas Muller's flying kick vs. Ajax was eerily accurate recreation of Bundesliga logo
- England FA CEO Martin Glenn to quit role at end of 2018-19 season
- Mourinho: Two players would make Man United team after Valencia loss
- Man United's lack of team spirit, Mourinho's negativity explains wide gap to rivals Liverpool
- Babbel: Wanderers can be giant killers
- Loftus-Cheek: Sterling right to speak out at racism
- Shaka Hislop explains why Zack Steffen chose Man City
- The pressure is on for France, Women's World Cup host
- Youthful Real Madrid beaten soundly by CSKA in group stage finale
- Columbus Crew SC interviews ex-Red Bulls GM Ali Curtis - sources
- Manchester United fall to Valencia, miss chance to win Champions League group
- Young Boys stun Juventus with brace from Guillaume Hoarau
- Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele apologised to team after being late to training - Carles Alena
- Man City win group as Sane double sinks Hoffenheim