Former Flying Eagles and Stationery Stores defender Ebitimi Collins slumped and died on Wednesday in Lagos.
Family sources said the deceased, who was nicknamed Barbwire by fans, slumped in the early hours of Wednesday close to his house in Ikorodu. He was aged 54.
“Collins slumped and died around 5.30am on Wednesday. He had slept out but was coming home to pick up his hospital card because he had an appointment with his doctor, when he slumped a few metres to his house,” Olabisi Olawepo, a close family friend said.
It was learnt that Collins had been ill for a while but had recuperated before he died on Wednesday.
His younger brother, Fabian, said the family would announce the burial of the fallen star in due course.
“We will have to take his corpse down to our family house in Surulere. After then, we will announce the burial arrangements,” Fabian told our correspondent.
Collins began his career at Green Beret in the early 80s, before playing for Hoest of Otta and Concord of Abeokuta. He joined Stores in the 90s and went on to play for Enugu Rangers before returning to Stores, where he ended his playing career.
Collins was a hard-as-nails, no-nonsense defender, who was a nightmare to strikers of his era.
Meanwhile, several players of Collins’ generation have mourned him.
“Though he was feared because of his hard approach, he was a nice man on-and-off the pitch. He was one of my best friends at Stores and when we left the club. He was a fantastic individual,” ex-Stores captain Taiwo Oloyede stated.
Ex-3SC player Shola Akinwale wrote on WhatsApp, “May the soul of Ebitimi Collins aka “Babuwaya” Rest in Peace. I played against him severally in the early 90s. 3SC vs Stationery Stores.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Highlights | RSL 4-1 NE - Via MLS
- Chelsea's Andreas Christensen may leave in January without first-team chances - father
- Real Salt Lake 4-1 New England: RSL cruise - Via MLS
- Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui dodges questions regarding future
- Pirates seek to end Telkom Knockout bogey and finally lift a trophy
- The Super Eagles Swoop On North Africa
- Adelaide United 1-1 Sydney FC: Le Fondre makes his mark
- Loris Karius in danger of losing Besiktas spot amid social media criticism - reports
- Liverpool's Alberto Moreno assessing options with contract talks in stalemate - sources
- Jose Mourinho won't 'celebrate like crazy' if Man United win at Chelsea
- Real Madrid's Karim Benzema 'totally annoyed' by kidnap allegations against entourage
- Defoe: Levy held players meeting to get me to return to Spurs
- Kenya's Patrick Matasi joins Saint George SC
- Sources: Atlanta United's Gerardo Martino has verbal deal with Mexico after MLS season
- Inter's Milan Skriniar: Gonzalo Higuain not AC Milan's only top forward
- Mulvey: Bolt turning down move not my focus
- Is Chelsea-Man United destined for a dismal draw?
- Stewart Robson gives his Man United best XI
- Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory are preseason favourites as A-League kicks off
- Julie Foudy's World Cup qualifying takeaways
- Sunday's Milan Derby: Who has the edge?
- Shaka's Power Rankings: International edition!
- England win against Spain shows futility of being 'drunk on stats' - Sean Dyche
- FA 'seriously concerned' with social-media abuse of England's Karen Carney
- LA Galaxy's Zlatan Ibrahimovic ready to play on Minnesota turf with playoffs on line
- FC Dallas homegrown players train in Munich - Via Bayern
- Steve Nicol: Luke Shaw succeeding in spite of Mourinho
- Fantasy La Liga: Modric primed for big day
- Premier League Predictor: Can Chelsea stay at the top?
- UEFA still probing reported fan incidents in Paris Saint-Germain, Red Star match
- Emery urges caution after strong Arsenal run
- Tottenham didn't buy in summer window because targets were 'unaffordable' - Pochettino
- Transfer Rater: Conte to Real Madrid? Giroud to West Ham?
- Mourinho, Man United back in spotlight to face Chelsea, Juventus tests
- Russia internationals Pavel Mamaev, Alexander Kokorin charged with hooliganism, battery
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Antonio Conte to replace Julen Lopetegui at Real Madrid?
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw signs new contract at Old Trafford - sources
- Kaizer Chiefs confirm lengthy Lebogang Manyama lay-off((
- Telkom Knockout provides latest chance for silverware
- DC United 1-0 Toronto FC: Rooney's stunner seals win - Via MLS