Nigeria’s D’Tigress has continued their magical run at the FIBA Women’s World Cup with a 57-56 victory over Greece to advance to the quarter-finals!
D’Tigress will meet the United States of America on Friday.
According to one of the Nigerian players, Adaora Elonu, “I’m happy for us because we’ve been through a lot and our motto was to stay together and we stayed together. Greece is a really tough team. I don’t know how we pulled it off but I’m beyond happy and proud.”
READ ALSO: NLC insists on strike as meeting with FG ends in deadlock
Speaking about playing in the quarter-finals, Elonu said, “It sounds really nice. I’ve never really thought about it. I don’t know what to expect but we’re just going to keep pushing. We didn’t know what to expect from the World Cup as none of us had been here. It’s just a ride that we’re taking,” reports FIBA Liveblog.
The Twitter handle of the female basketball team, @DtigressNG, also revealed that the victory was a comforting one for the Head Coach of the team, Otis Hughley, whose family was involved in a car accident less than 24 hours to the game.
What a sweet victory.
A perfect succour for Head Coach, Otis Hughley whose family was involved involved in an auto accident less than 24 hours to the game.
Greece 56 pic.twitter.com/HGVyuQuvdb
— #DTigress (@DtigressNG) September 26, 2018
Latest Nigeria News
- AC Milan lose to Olympiakos, will miss out on Europa League knockouts
- Paris Saint-Germain-Dijon among five postponed matches in Ligue 1
- Power Rankings: Barcelona top, Liverpool climb; Juventus, Man City drop
- Youngster Eddie Nketiah impresses, Laurent Koscielny and Mesut Ozil return vs. Qarabag
- Hislop: Dembele's problems stem from childhood
- Europa League exit will pose trouble for Milan
- Shaka's Power Rankings: Barcelona claim top spot
- Extra Time: No love for PSG, refs against Milan, are horses athletes?
- Arsenal teenager Bukayo Saka showed 'big personality' in full debut for Gunners
- Game-worn Diego Maradona shirts get ¬18,500 at auction
- Barcelona's Jordi Alba: No dressing room issues with Ousmane Dembele
- Man United supporters frustrated at present but can look to past for Anfield inspiration
- Exploding Heads: Sol Campbell is a genius
- Ex-Argentina boss Jorge Sampaoli to join Brazilian club Santos
- Game-worn Diego Maradona shirts fetch ¬18,500 at auction
- Fantasy Premier League: Kane earns the armband
- Fantasy La Liga: Lionel Messi leads the line
- Nicol: Liverpool have enough to cover recent injuries
- Premier League Predictor: Showdown at Anfield
- FIFA president Gianni Infantino: Most federations favour 48-team World Cup in 2022
- Transfer Rater: Pochettino to Real Madrid? Pogba back to Juve?
- Sensational Giroud free kick earns Chelsea draw vs. Vidi in Europa League
- Liverpool to beat struggling Man United? Juventus to overcome Torino?
- Tottenham express 'great concern' at fan claims of mistreatment by Barcelona security
- Barcelona defender Gerard Pique linked with interest in buying FC Andorra
- Champions League XI: Mo Salah and Leroy Sane lead team of the week
- Thomas Muller's flying kick vs. Ajax was eerily accurate recreation of Bundesliga logo
- England FA CEO Martin Glenn to quit role at end of 2018-19 season
- Mourinho: Two players would make Man United team after Valencia loss
- Man United's lack of team spirit, Mourinho's negativity explains wide gap to rivals Liverpool
- Babbel: Wanderers can be giant killers
- Loftus-Cheek: Sterling right to speak out at racism
- Shaka Hislop explains why Zack Steffen chose Man City
- The pressure is on for France, Women's World Cup host
- Youthful Real Madrid beaten soundly by CSKA in group stage finale
- Columbus Crew SC interviews ex-Red Bulls GM Ali Curtis - sources
- Manchester United fall to Valencia, miss chance to win Champions League group
- Young Boys stun Juventus with brace from Guillaume Hoarau
- Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele apologised to team after being late to training - Carles Alena
- Man City win group as Sane double sinks Hoffenheim