Arsenal striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been slapped with a £1,250 fine after he was caught doing 99mph in a £270,000 Lamborghini on the M1, Daily Star reports.
Aubameyang, 29, clocked after six penalty points after he was caught by a speed camera gunning it down the motorway.
Arsenal’s star forward admitted the offences and it is thought it was the £270,000 silver Lamborghini Aventador he was driving, reports The Sun.
His supercar has 690bhp V12 engine, and is capable of a top speed of 230mph – hitting 0 to 60 in just 2.9 seconds.
Car-mad Aubameyang has often shown off his flash car-collection – which he can afford with his £180,000 a week wage.
The Frenchman is “very sorry” and “accepts he has no excuse”, his lawyer told Willesden magistrate’s court.
Prosecutor Alison Larkin said, “The defendant was stopped and asked why he was speeding and made no reply.”
Aubameyang could have been banned for up to 28 days for the offence.
He was signed by Arsenal back in January for a record fee of £56m.
The star is not expected to play in Arsenal’s EFL Cup match against Brentford – but will be back on the pitch for the weekend’s Premier League fixture against Watford.
Aubameyang’s lawyer Robert Morris said, “He is very sorry he is in this position. He accepts he has no excuse.
“He uses his car to attend training and matches.
“It is the top of the bracket but is not by any stretch of the imagination the worst case of speeding.”
Earlier this month, Southampton footballer Mario Lemina was banned for speeding and slapped with a record fine of £96,000.
Former Arsenal and Chelsea defender Ashley Cole was banned for four months in 2010 for doing 104mph on a motorway. He claimed he was trying to escape paparazzi.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Highlights | RSL 4-1 NE - Via MLS
- Chelsea's Andreas Christensen may leave in January without first-team chances - father
- Real Salt Lake 4-1 New England: RSL cruise - Via MLS
- Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui dodges questions regarding future
- Pirates seek to end Telkom Knockout bogey and finally lift a trophy
- The Super Eagles Swoop On North Africa
- Adelaide United 1-1 Sydney FC: Le Fondre makes his mark
- Loris Karius in danger of losing Besiktas spot amid social media criticism - reports
- Liverpool's Alberto Moreno assessing options with contract talks in stalemate - sources
- Jose Mourinho won't 'celebrate like crazy' if Man United win at Chelsea
- Real Madrid's Karim Benzema 'totally annoyed' by kidnap allegations against entourage
- Defoe: Levy held players meeting to get me to return to Spurs
- Kenya's Patrick Matasi joins Saint George SC
- Sources: Atlanta United's Gerardo Martino has verbal deal with Mexico after MLS season
- Inter's Milan Skriniar: Gonzalo Higuain not AC Milan's only top forward
- Mulvey: Bolt turning down move not my focus
- Is Chelsea-Man United destined for a dismal draw?
- Stewart Robson gives his Man United best XI
- Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory are preseason favourites as A-League kicks off
- Julie Foudy's World Cup qualifying takeaways
- Sunday's Milan Derby: Who has the edge?
- Shaka's Power Rankings: International edition!
- England win against Spain shows futility of being 'drunk on stats' - Sean Dyche
- FA 'seriously concerned' with social-media abuse of England's Karen Carney
- LA Galaxy's Zlatan Ibrahimovic ready to play on Minnesota turf with playoffs on line
- FC Dallas homegrown players train in Munich - Via Bayern
- Steve Nicol: Luke Shaw succeeding in spite of Mourinho
- Fantasy La Liga: Modric primed for big day
- Premier League Predictor: Can Chelsea stay at the top?
- UEFA still probing reported fan incidents in Paris Saint-Germain, Red Star match
- Emery urges caution after strong Arsenal run
- Tottenham didn't buy in summer window because targets were 'unaffordable' - Pochettino
- Transfer Rater: Conte to Real Madrid? Giroud to West Ham?
- Mourinho, Man United back in spotlight to face Chelsea, Juventus tests
- Russia internationals Pavel Mamaev, Alexander Kokorin charged with hooliganism, battery
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Antonio Conte to replace Julen Lopetegui at Real Madrid?
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw signs new contract at Old Trafford - sources
- Kaizer Chiefs confirm lengthy Lebogang Manyama lay-off((
- Telkom Knockout provides latest chance for silverware
- DC United 1-0 Toronto FC: Rooney's stunner seals win - Via MLS