Nigeria on Tuesday landed in the quarterfinals of the 2018 FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup in Spain after defeating Argentina 75-70.
D’Tigress came from a poor start to win the first quarter by 19-13.
The South Americans fought back to reduce the tally before the end of the second quarter but the Nigerians ensured that the score was 32-29 in their favour at halftime.
Again, the Argentines reorganised to level the score at 38-38, and aimed snatch the lead.
With the score 47-47 minutes to end of the third quarter, Evelyn Akhator’s bravery helped Nigeria keep the lead at 51-48.
Nigeria survived a tight fight in the fourth quarter to win 75-70.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Highlights | RSL 4-1 NE - Via MLS
- Chelsea's Andreas Christensen may leave in January without first-team chances - father
- Real Salt Lake 4-1 New England: RSL cruise - Via MLS
- Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui dodges questions regarding future
- Pirates seek to end Telkom Knockout bogey and finally lift a trophy
- The Super Eagles Swoop On North Africa
- Adelaide United 1-1 Sydney FC: Le Fondre makes his mark
- Loris Karius in danger of losing Besiktas spot amid social media criticism - reports
- Liverpool's Alberto Moreno assessing options with contract talks in stalemate - sources
- Jose Mourinho won't 'celebrate like crazy' if Man United win at Chelsea
- Real Madrid's Karim Benzema 'totally annoyed' by kidnap allegations against entourage
- Defoe: Levy held players meeting to get me to return to Spurs
- Kenya's Patrick Matasi joins Saint George SC
- Sources: Atlanta United's Gerardo Martino has verbal deal with Mexico after MLS season
- Inter's Milan Skriniar: Gonzalo Higuain not AC Milan's only top forward
- Mulvey: Bolt turning down move not my focus
- Is Chelsea-Man United destined for a dismal draw?
- Stewart Robson gives his Man United best XI
- Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory are preseason favourites as A-League kicks off
- Julie Foudy's World Cup qualifying takeaways
- Sunday's Milan Derby: Who has the edge?
- Shaka's Power Rankings: International edition!
- England win against Spain shows futility of being 'drunk on stats' - Sean Dyche
- FA 'seriously concerned' with social-media abuse of England's Karen Carney
- LA Galaxy's Zlatan Ibrahimovic ready to play on Minnesota turf with playoffs on line
- FC Dallas homegrown players train in Munich - Via Bayern
- Steve Nicol: Luke Shaw succeeding in spite of Mourinho
- Fantasy La Liga: Modric primed for big day
- Premier League Predictor: Can Chelsea stay at the top?
- UEFA still probing reported fan incidents in Paris Saint-Germain, Red Star match
- Emery urges caution after strong Arsenal run
- Tottenham didn't buy in summer window because targets were 'unaffordable' - Pochettino
- Transfer Rater: Conte to Real Madrid? Giroud to West Ham?
- Mourinho, Man United back in spotlight to face Chelsea, Juventus tests
- Russia internationals Pavel Mamaev, Alexander Kokorin charged with hooliganism, battery
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Antonio Conte to replace Julen Lopetegui at Real Madrid?
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw signs new contract at Old Trafford - sources
- Kaizer Chiefs confirm lengthy Lebogang Manyama lay-off((
- Telkom Knockout provides latest chance for silverware
- DC United 1-0 Toronto FC: Rooney's stunner seals win - Via MLS