Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has expressed his admiration for Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri and stressed that the Blues are strong contenders for the Premier League title.
Chelsea — in Sarri’s first season at Stamford Bridge — have 16 points out of a possible 18 in the Premier League so far, two fewer than leaders Liverpool.
The two clubs meet in London on Saturday but on Wednesday they clash in the third round of the League Cup.
At his pre-match press conference on Tuesday, Klopp said when asked about Sarri: “It is the biggest change of system I ever saw in such a short period of time. Wow. Style completely (different). What a manager he is, to be honest.
READ ALSO: Sarri will help Hazard reach his potential, insists Zola
“I’m pretty much a supporter of him since I saw them playing at Naples (Sarri’s Napoli team). That’s outstanding football, and now (he is) doing it in a very interrupted pre-season, without a lot of players involved — Eden (Hazard), (Olivier) Giroud — and starting the season, and you see immediately the impact.”
Klopp said Chelsea are realistic title contenders and is surprised they are not being tipped more widely.
“This team is experienced,” said the Liverpool boss. “They won the title already — I’m not sure, but 80 per cent of them probably twice, and they know how it works. So that’s a really good group, a really strong football team.”
Klopp confirmed goalkeeper Simon Mignolet will make his first appearance of the season in Wednesday’s cup tie as Alisson Becker rests.
Dejan Lovren, having recovered from injury, could join Mignolet in getting a first run out of the season while Virgil van Dijk is being monitored after coming off in Saturday’s 3-0 win over Southampton due to a rib issue.
Klopp said he will name a strong side for Wednesday’s match, in a competition often considered the lowest priority for sides involved in Champions League football.
“It’s not about the other three competitions tomorrow night, it’s exactly one we have to play in, not four, and that’s how we will take it, with all concentration, all focus, all intensity, normal game,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Shaka's top five goalkeepers in the world
- Transfer Rater: Gunners going for defence
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Chelsea's Alvaro Morata offers himself to Barcelona
- Tottenham confirm home match with Manchester United to be played at Wembley
- Liverpool's Joel Matip out six weeks with broken collarbone
- Luciano Spalletti carries the can for Inter's Champions League implosion
- Chelsea's 2012 Champions League commemorative jersey unveiled to unfavourable reviews
- Arsenal's Ainsley Maitland-Niles: I suffered racial abuse when I was 12
- Celtic striker Leigh Griffiths to take time out from football
- Wayne Rooney's visit to White House with President Trump's son 'apolitical' - source
- Emery confirms Koscielny's return against Qarabag
- Manchester United's Shola Shoretire, 14, youngest player in UEFA Youth League
- Real Madrid coach Santiago Solari and Gareth Bale could leave Bernabeu - John Toshack
- PSG finish top of Champions League group by putting in the 'invisible work' and playing as a team
- Van Dijk hails Alisson's Liverpool heroics
- Tuchel: Champions League shows PSG can handle pressure
- Pochettino: Spurs achieved 'mission impossible' to reach UCL knockouts
- Mourinho: Pogba needs a response to being dropped
- Fenerbahce president scraps players' flights after defeat deepens relegation worries - source
- Klopp 'full of adrenaline' after Napoli win
- Allegri: Chiellini injures himself just by looking at artificial turf
- Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk believes challenge on Napoli's Dries Mertens was fair
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Chelsea look to Barcelona's 'other' Suarez to replace Fabregas
- Kovac: Bayern must end negativity with Ajax win
- Mourinho 'unaware' of agent's statement
- Red Star Belgrade gets loud support from tennis star Novak Djokovic
- PSG's Thomas Tuchel lauds team for finishing top of Champions League group
- 'Proud' Central Coast Mariners determined to avoid worst A-League start record
- Barbarouses backs Troisi and Antonis for Asian Cup
- Melbourne Victory's Keisuke Honda, Natasha Dowie win PFA Player of the Month awards
- Kylian Mbappe 8/10 as Paris Saint-Germain defeat Red Star to clinch top spot
- Transfer Talk: Manchester United's Marcus Rashford an AC Milan target
- Extra Time: Happy Birthday, Steve Nicol!
- Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp has 'no words' for Alisson save vs. Napoli
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea look to Barcelona's 'other' Suarez to replace Fabregas
- Liverpool and Tottenham progress in UCL
- Tottenham's result against Barcelona never 'mission impossible' - Mauricio Pochettino
- What you need to know about 2018 Liga MX Apertura finalists Cruz Azul
- What you need to know about 2018 Liga MX Apertura finalists Club America
- New York Red Bulls sign defender Tim Parker to three-year deal - sources