Anthony Joshua has reiterated his desire to fight Deontay Wilder at Wembley in his next fight, according to Skysports.
Joshua came through an exciting defence of his IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight titles by stopping Alexander Povetkin in seven rounds on Saturday, and attention immediately turned to his return on April 13 when he hopes to lure Wilder.
Talks to agree Joshua vs Wilder have, so far, come to nothing and the WBC champion from America is now set to defend his title against Tyson Fury in December.
“I got my knockout streak back,” Joshua said after beating Povetkin. “I found my right hand which had gone missing for a while. It’s lining up for April 13.
“April 13 is what I’m really interested in.
“My No 1 would be Wilder. That’s it. Let me not talk about No 2 or No 3.
“Wilder, that’s it.”
Asked who would win between Wilder and Fury, Joshua replied, “I’m not too fussed who wins, I only concentrate on myself. Good luck to both of them. May the champion bring himself to the UK and let’s have a good dust-up.”
Promoter Eddie Hearn had previously been in protracted negotiations with Wilder’s representatives to agree a bout that would pit unbeaten champions against each other to decide one undisputed king.
Hearn said, “They agreed a deal, we signed the contract, they didn’t, so we had to take a mandatory challenge.
“If they don’t want to fight, they don’t want to fight.
“Joshua is not an Instagram world champion, he is a real world champion.
“We’ll try again with Team Wilder to make the fight. Let’s see if Wilder-Fury actually happens.”
Dillian Whyte, who was beaten by Joshua in December 2015 but has since risen to the brink of his first world title shot, is the next in line should Wilder fail to materialise.
“Dillian is a serious fighter and I want serious challenges,” Joshua said, “We have respect for each other, fighter to fighter. We’re both beasts, we’re both lions in the jungle.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Highlights | RSL 4-1 NE - Via MLS
- Chelsea's Andreas Christensen may leave in January without first-team chances - father
- Real Salt Lake 4-1 New England: RSL cruise - Via MLS
- Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui dodges questions regarding future
- Pirates seek to end Telkom Knockout bogey and finally lift a trophy
- The Super Eagles Swoop On North Africa
- Adelaide United 1-1 Sydney FC: Le Fondre makes his mark
- Loris Karius in danger of losing Besiktas spot amid social media criticism - reports
- Liverpool's Alberto Moreno assessing options with contract talks in stalemate - sources
- Jose Mourinho won't 'celebrate like crazy' if Man United win at Chelsea
- Real Madrid's Karim Benzema 'totally annoyed' by kidnap allegations against entourage
- Defoe: Levy held players meeting to get me to return to Spurs
- Kenya's Patrick Matasi joins Saint George SC
- Sources: Atlanta United's Gerardo Martino has verbal deal with Mexico after MLS season
- Inter's Milan Skriniar: Gonzalo Higuain not AC Milan's only top forward
- Mulvey: Bolt turning down move not my focus
- Is Chelsea-Man United destined for a dismal draw?
- Stewart Robson gives his Man United best XI
- Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory are preseason favourites as A-League kicks off
- Julie Foudy's World Cup qualifying takeaways
- Sunday's Milan Derby: Who has the edge?
- Shaka's Power Rankings: International edition!
- England win against Spain shows futility of being 'drunk on stats' - Sean Dyche
- FA 'seriously concerned' with social-media abuse of England's Karen Carney
- LA Galaxy's Zlatan Ibrahimovic ready to play on Minnesota turf with playoffs on line
- FC Dallas homegrown players train in Munich - Via Bayern
- Steve Nicol: Luke Shaw succeeding in spite of Mourinho
- Fantasy La Liga: Modric primed for big day
- Premier League Predictor: Can Chelsea stay at the top?
- UEFA still probing reported fan incidents in Paris Saint-Germain, Red Star match
- Emery urges caution after strong Arsenal run
- Tottenham didn't buy in summer window because targets were 'unaffordable' - Pochettino
- Transfer Rater: Conte to Real Madrid? Giroud to West Ham?
- Mourinho, Man United back in spotlight to face Chelsea, Juventus tests
- Russia internationals Pavel Mamaev, Alexander Kokorin charged with hooliganism, battery
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Antonio Conte to replace Julen Lopetegui at Real Madrid?
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw signs new contract at Old Trafford - sources
- Kaizer Chiefs confirm lengthy Lebogang Manyama lay-off((
- Telkom Knockout provides latest chance for silverware
- DC United 1-0 Toronto FC: Rooney's stunner seals win - Via MLS