African sports stars have join their foreign counterparts in heaping praise on Anthony Joshua after the British-born Nigerian stopped Alexander Povetkin in the seventh round to retain his IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight crowns at Wembley on Saturday.
Former Nigeria captain Nwankwo Kanu, ex-Nigeria attacker Osaze Odemwingie and French-born Ivorian Manchester City star Benjamin Mendy took to social media to express their excitement about Joshua’s sensational knockout victory over his 39-year-old Russian opponent to land his 22nd professional win.
Joshua, 28, thus emerged as the second man to beat Povetkin, who was beaten in Moscow in 2013 by Wladimir Klitschko.
But Joshua posted a classic victory over Ukrainian Klitschko in April 2017
Former world champion Oscar De La Hoya, NBA star Stephen Curry, heavyweight world champion David Haye and British boxing trainer Adam Booth who also reacted said Joshua deserved his win.
“Congratulations champ @anthonyfjoshua,” Arsenal legend Kanu, who represented Nigeria at the France ’98, Korea/Japan 2002 and South Africa 2010 World Cups, wrote on his Twitter account.
His former Super Eagles teammate Odemwingie, who represented his country at the 2010 and 2014 World Cups, wrote, “Good fight. [email protected]”
The Indonesia-based player, who represented Nigeria at the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations, added, “Colours that are in my heart forever. If I don’t come to Wembley today (Saturday) who will?”
Mendy, who watched the fight, got hold of Joshua’s two belts and took to social media to share the selfie with his Instagram followers.
He wrote, “Just when you thought I didn’t win enough trophies in 2018.”
Haye told iFL TV, “Anthony Joshua showed something he’s never really needed to show before.
“He rose to the occasion, waited for the opportunity, the jab to the body was killing Povetkin.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Highlights | RSL 4-1 NE - Via MLS
- Chelsea's Andreas Christensen may leave in January without first-team chances - father
- Real Salt Lake 4-1 New England: RSL cruise - Via MLS
- Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui dodges questions regarding future
- Pirates seek to end Telkom Knockout bogey and finally lift a trophy
- The Super Eagles Swoop On North Africa
- Adelaide United 1-1 Sydney FC: Le Fondre makes his mark
- Loris Karius in danger of losing Besiktas spot amid social media criticism - reports
- Liverpool's Alberto Moreno assessing options with contract talks in stalemate - sources
- Jose Mourinho won't 'celebrate like crazy' if Man United win at Chelsea
- Real Madrid's Karim Benzema 'totally annoyed' by kidnap allegations against entourage
- Defoe: Levy held players meeting to get me to return to Spurs
- Kenya's Patrick Matasi joins Saint George SC
- Sources: Atlanta United's Gerardo Martino has verbal deal with Mexico after MLS season
- Inter's Milan Skriniar: Gonzalo Higuain not AC Milan's only top forward
- Mulvey: Bolt turning down move not my focus
- Is Chelsea-Man United destined for a dismal draw?
- Stewart Robson gives his Man United best XI
- Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory are preseason favourites as A-League kicks off
- Julie Foudy's World Cup qualifying takeaways
- Sunday's Milan Derby: Who has the edge?
- Shaka's Power Rankings: International edition!
- England win against Spain shows futility of being 'drunk on stats' - Sean Dyche
- FA 'seriously concerned' with social-media abuse of England's Karen Carney
- LA Galaxy's Zlatan Ibrahimovic ready to play on Minnesota turf with playoffs on line
- FC Dallas homegrown players train in Munich - Via Bayern
- Steve Nicol: Luke Shaw succeeding in spite of Mourinho
- Fantasy La Liga: Modric primed for big day
- Premier League Predictor: Can Chelsea stay at the top?
- UEFA still probing reported fan incidents in Paris Saint-Germain, Red Star match
- Emery urges caution after strong Arsenal run
- Tottenham didn't buy in summer window because targets were 'unaffordable' - Pochettino
- Transfer Rater: Conte to Real Madrid? Giroud to West Ham?
- Mourinho, Man United back in spotlight to face Chelsea, Juventus tests
- Russia internationals Pavel Mamaev, Alexander Kokorin charged with hooliganism, battery
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Antonio Conte to replace Julen Lopetegui at Real Madrid?
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw signs new contract at Old Trafford - sources
- Kaizer Chiefs confirm lengthy Lebogang Manyama lay-off((
- Telkom Knockout provides latest chance for silverware
- DC United 1-0 Toronto FC: Rooney's stunner seals win - Via MLS