African sports stars have join their foreign counterparts in heaping praise on Anthony Joshua after the British-born Nigerian stopped Alexander Povetkin in the seventh round to retain his IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight crowns at Wembley on Saturday.
Former Nigeria captain Nwankwo Kanu, ex-Nigeria attacker Osaze Odemwingie and French-born Ivorian Manchester City star Benjamin Mendy took to social media to express their excitement about Joshua’s sensational knockout victory over his 39-year-old Russian opponent to land his 22nd professional win.
Joshua, 28, thus emerged as the second man to beat Povetkin, who was beaten in Moscow in 2013 by Wladimir Klitschko.
But Joshua posted a classic victory over Ukrainian Klitschko in April 2017
Former world champion Oscar De La Hoya, NBA star Stephen Curry, heavyweight world champion David Haye and British boxing trainer Adam Booth who also reacted said Joshua deserved his win.
“Congratulations champ @anthonyfjoshua,” Arsenal legend Kanu, who represented Nigeria at the France ’98, Korea/Japan 2002 and South Africa 2010 World Cups, wrote on his Twitter account.
His former Super Eagles teammate Odemwingie, who represented his country at the 2010 and 2014 World Cups, wrote, “Good fight. [email protected]”
The Indonesia-based player, who represented Nigeria at the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations, added, “Colours that are in my heart forever. If I don’t come to Wembley today (Saturday) who will?”
Mendy, who watched the fight, got hold of Joshua’s two belts and took to social media to share the selfie with his Instagram followers.
He wrote, “Just when you thought I didn’t win enough trophies in 2018.”
Haye told iFL TV, “Anthony Joshua showed something he’s never really needed to show before.
“He rose to the occasion, waited for the opportunity, the jab to the body was killing Povetkin.”
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- AC Milan lose to Olympiakos, will miss out on Europa League knockouts
- Paris Saint-Germain-Dijon among five postponed matches in Ligue 1
- Power Rankings: Barcelona top, Liverpool climb; Juventus, Man City drop
- Youngster Eddie Nketiah impresses, Laurent Koscielny and Mesut Ozil return vs. Qarabag
- Hislop: Dembele's problems stem from childhood
- Europa League exit will pose trouble for Milan
- Shaka's Power Rankings: Barcelona claim top spot
- Extra Time: No love for PSG, refs against Milan, are horses athletes?
- Arsenal teenager Bukayo Saka showed 'big personality' in full debut for Gunners
- Game-worn Diego Maradona shirts get ¬18,500 at auction
- Barcelona's Jordi Alba: No dressing room issues with Ousmane Dembele
- Man United supporters frustrated at present but can look to past for Anfield inspiration
- Exploding Heads: Sol Campbell is a genius
- Ex-Argentina boss Jorge Sampaoli to join Brazilian club Santos
- Game-worn Diego Maradona shirts fetch ¬18,500 at auction
- Fantasy Premier League: Kane earns the armband
- Fantasy La Liga: Lionel Messi leads the line
- Nicol: Liverpool have enough to cover recent injuries
- Premier League Predictor: Showdown at Anfield
- FIFA president Gianni Infantino: Most federations favour 48-team World Cup in 2022
- Transfer Rater: Pochettino to Real Madrid? Pogba back to Juve?
- Sensational Giroud free kick earns Chelsea draw vs. Vidi in Europa League
- Liverpool to beat struggling Man United? Juventus to overcome Torino?
- Tottenham express 'great concern' at fan claims of mistreatment by Barcelona security
- Barcelona defender Gerard Pique linked with interest in buying FC Andorra
- Champions League XI: Mo Salah and Leroy Sane lead team of the week
- Thomas Muller's flying kick vs. Ajax was eerily accurate recreation of Bundesliga logo
- England FA CEO Martin Glenn to quit role at end of 2018-19 season
- Mourinho: Two players would make Man United team after Valencia loss
- Man United's lack of team spirit, Mourinho's negativity explains wide gap to rivals Liverpool
- Babbel: Wanderers can be giant killers
- Loftus-Cheek: Sterling right to speak out at racism
- Shaka Hislop explains why Zack Steffen chose Man City
- The pressure is on for France, Women's World Cup host
- Youthful Real Madrid beaten soundly by CSKA in group stage finale
- Columbus Crew SC interviews ex-Red Bulls GM Ali Curtis - sources
- Manchester United fall to Valencia, miss chance to win Champions League group
- Young Boys stun Juventus with brace from Guillaume Hoarau
- Barcelona's Ousmane Dembele apologised to team after being late to training - Carles Alena
- Man City win group as Sane double sinks Hoffenheim