WBC world heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder says there is “no question” he will fight Tyson Fury this year.
The American, 32, argued with Fury’s team at Friday’s weigh-in for the Englishman’s bout with Francesco Pianeta in Belfast on Saturday.
Wilder told BBC Sport, “As soon as he gets this guy out of the way, it’s done. That’s how simple it is.”
Wilder’s manager Shelly Finkel told BBC Sport the bout will be in “November or December in New York or Las Vegas”.
Asked for a message for 30-year-old Fury, Wilder said, “Be ready. I’m coming to knock you out, plain and simple.”
“The champion is here and he’s going to take out Tyson Fury.”
Pianeta will be Fury’s second opponent since the former unified world heavyweight champion took a two-and-a-half-year break from the sport as he battled depression and was given a period of ineligibility by UK anti-doping.
Wilder will be ringside for Saturday’s bout, and told BBC Sport he loved the “energy” of Friday’s weigh-in as it provided him with a view as to what a bout with Fury would be like.
“It’s an excitement and is making the whole thing even better,” Wilder told BBC Sport. “Fury has to do what he needs to tomorrow (Saturday) so that when we come to fight, that’s how much excitement and aggression there will be.”
Prior to his break from the sport, Fury held the WBA, WBO and IBF versions of the world heavyweight title, all of which now belong to Britain’s Anthony Joshua.
A bout between Wilder and Joshua has been mooted for several months but drawn-out negotiations have failed, with the Alabama fighter stating he is now not interested in facing Joshua at Wembley in April, despite a date at the stadium already being in place.
“I have no words for Joshua, it’s solely on Fury,” Wilder said. “Joshua is old news, there’s a new kid in town — Tyson Fury.
“He is the true champion on this side of the pond. And now he’s going to face the lone and reigning champion, the WBC champion, the king, the man, the legend, the bronze bomber and it’s going to be a great fight.”
Fury goes into Saturday’s bout at Windsor Park with a record of 26 wins from 26 fights, while Wilder is unbeaten in 40 contests.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Ronaldo penalty puts Juventus ahead
- Moreno: Pogba should play vs. Liverpool
- Torino 0-1 Juventus: Ronaldo wins Turin derby
- Dortmund's Marco Reus plays like 'Ferrari' in middle of field - Nuri Sahin
- Karim Benzema nets early winner as Real Madrid edge Rayo Vallecano
- Modric shows off Ballon d'Or in 8/10 showing as Madrid hold on vs. Rayo
- Real Madrid boss Santi Solari plays down supporters' whistles and boos
- Spurs scrape win, City back on top
- Fulham 0-2 West Ham: Hammers continue winning ways
- Heracles 0-3 PSV: PSV take care of business
- Crystal Palace 1-0 Leicester: Milivojevic stunner
- Tottenham 1-0 Burnley: Eriksen rescues Spurs
- Huddersfield 0-1 Newcastle: Rondon leads the way
- Wolves 2-0 Bournemouth: Jiménez on target
- Barcelona's Dembele, Coutinho dilemma an 'advantage' - Valverde
- Smalling signs new Man United contract through to 2022
- Icardi puts Inter up with Panenka
- Watford 3-2 Cardiff: Thriller at Vicarage Road
- Inter 1-0 Udinese: Cheeky Icardi wins it
- Mauro Icardi's Panenka penalty gives Inter Milan win over Udinese
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Arsenal to snap up Barcelona's Denis Suarez to replace Aaron Ramsey?
- Liverpool legend John Arne Riise: I'd rather play for Jurgen Klopp than Jose Mourinho
- FIFA President Gianni Infantino gets ASEAN backing for re-election
- Liverpool keeper Alisson: Napoli save was like scoring winning goal
- Does Liverpool-Man United have the makings of a dull match?
- Sheffield United 1-2 West Brom: Baggies up to 3rd
- Which Milan side had a worse week in Europe?
- Arsenal boss Unai Emery working on plan to solve centre-back crisis
- Toronto FC trades GK Clint Irwin to Colorado Rapids for 2019 draft pick
- Extra Time: Alisson vs. De Gea, and Adrian Healey push-ups
- ESPN FC Best of the Week
- David Villa posts emotional farewell to city of New York, NYCFC, fans ahead of his move to Japan
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea's Loftus-Cheek a loan target for West Ham, Bournemouth
- Burley: Mourinho's mentality is one of excuses
- La Liga Predictor: Can Real Madrid bounce back?
- Transfer Rater: Zidane to Premier League? Morata to Barca?
- Caleb Porter nearing Columbus Crew deal
- AEK Athens to reimburse Bayern Munich ¬32k for ticket-price violation as Greek FA fined
- AC Milan fined ¬12m by UEFA, threatened with one-year European ban
- Ex-Uruguay striker Sebastian 'Loco' Abreu extends world record, joins Brazil's Rio Branco