Two-time African champions Enyimba on Wednesday beat Willamsville Athletic Club of Ivory Coast 1-0 in their third group match of the 2018 CAF Confederation Cup played at the AdokiyeAmiesimaka Stadium, Port Harcourt.
A lone goal from Ibrahim Mustapha gave the People’s Elephant the three points and took them to the top of Group C with six points from three matches.
Enyimba have won two of their group matches but lost their last fixture 3-0 to Congolese side Cara Brazzaville.
Going into the game, the seven-time Nigerian champions needed a win to brighten their chances of progressing from the group to the knockout stages. The hosts dominated the opening minutes of the game and created scoring chances.
They took the lead in the sixth minute after a through pass found Mustapha in the box. The striker shook off the challenge from a defender and slotted the ball between the legs of the Williamsville goalkeeper.
Williamsville then dominated the rest of the half forcing Enyimba to defend and rely on counterattacks. The visitors created chances with Nigerian FolorunshoOlatunji going close with a header for the Ivorians but they went into the break one goal behind.
The second half was balanced as Enyimba fought to increase the lead but the visitors also forced Enyimba keeper FatauDauda to make some fine saves as they sought the equaliser.
Former Enyimba player Victor Ezeji said the People’s Elephant have to do more to progress from the group.
“Enyimba did well today (Wednesday) to get the three points after they lost their last match in Brazzaville. But they need to play better than they did today because Williamsville dominated the game and could have got a point from it,” he told Supersport.
Enyimba travel to play Williamsville in Abidjan on July 29. They will be away to Malian side AC Djoliba on August 17 before hosting CARA Brazzaville on August 29.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Messi ‘sees things others don’t’ says Barcelona coach
- Federer to clash with Djokovic in Cincy tennis final
- Halep beats Sabalenka to reach third Cincy final
- Messi, Coutinho get Barcelona off to winning start
- Man accused of hijacking plane extradited from Cyprus
- Sporting KC 3-0 Portland: Diego Rubio brace
- Houston 1-2 Real Salt Lake: RSL score two in stoppage
- San Jose 1-1 Toronto: Wondolowski scores
- Andre Gray scores for Watford
- Tarkowski levels it for Burnley
- Sergio Aguero lobs it over the keeper
- Gabriel Jesus quickly makes it two
- Sergio Aguero gives Man City 3-0 Lead
- Stankovic gets one back for Huddersfield
- Liverpool midfielder Marko Grujic signs contract, joins Hertha Berlin on loan
- Germany should have defended Mesut Ozil from 'racist attacks' - DFB president
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp on Naby Keita: We have no idea how good he can be
- Hungarian game delayed as player gets wedding ring stuck, loses starting XI spot
- Atletico's Antoine Griezmann and Karl-Anthony Towns do a Fortnite dance
- Guardiola: Mendy is important for Man City's locker room
- Man United's Jose Mourinho: Fred a 'positive influence,' Andreas Pereira has become more of a man
- Iwobi scores in Chelsea, Arsenal five-goal thriller
- Tears, fears as DSS occupation of glasshouse continues
- Ronaldo fails to score on Serie A debut
- PSG hero Kylian Mbappe: Neymar's a bigger superstar than I am
- Manchester City's Pep Guaridola won't hesitate to play Phil Foden: 'We trust him a lot'
- Transfer Talk: Manchester City plan £60 million swoop for Wolves' Ruben Neves
- Philadelphia Union improve playoff standing with shutout of New York City FC
- Daniel Royer earns draw vs. Vancouver Whitecaps, keeps New York Red Bulls' run alive
- Daniel Lovitz scores in stoppage-time as Montreal Impact edge the Chicago Fire
- Diego Rubio scores twice as Sporting Kansas City blank the Portland Timbers
- Albert Rusnak's brace helps Real Salt Lake stun the Houston Dynamo
- Chris Wondolowski's equalizer helps San Jose Earthquakes draw with Toronto FC
- FC Dallas remains atop West with shutout of Minnesota United
- Ronaldo fails to score in Juventus debut
- Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-2 in thrilling London derby
- Sarri salutes Chelsea’s winning mentality after ‘horrible’ spell
- Tight security as Ronaldo makes Serie A debut
- Kane ends goal drought as he scores for Tottenham Spurs
- Mbappe scores in first match for PSG after World Cup