Two-time African champions Enyimba on Wednesday beat Willamsville Athletic Club of Ivory Coast 1-0 in their third group match of the 2018 CAF Confederation Cup played at the AdokiyeAmiesimaka Stadium, Port Harcourt.
A lone goal from Ibrahim Mustapha gave the People’s Elephant the three points and took them to the top of Group C with six points from three matches.
Enyimba have won two of their group matches but lost their last fixture 3-0 to Congolese side Cara Brazzaville.
Going into the game, the seven-time Nigerian champions needed a win to brighten their chances of progressing from the group to the knockout stages. The hosts dominated the opening minutes of the game and created scoring chances.
They took the lead in the sixth minute after a through pass found Mustapha in the box. The striker shook off the challenge from a defender and slotted the ball between the legs of the Williamsville goalkeeper.
Williamsville then dominated the rest of the half forcing Enyimba to defend and rely on counterattacks. The visitors created chances with Nigerian FolorunshoOlatunji going close with a header for the Ivorians but they went into the break one goal behind.
The second half was balanced as Enyimba fought to increase the lead but the visitors also forced Enyimba keeper FatauDauda to make some fine saves as they sought the equaliser.
Former Enyimba player Victor Ezeji said the People’s Elephant have to do more to progress from the group.
“Enyimba did well today (Wednesday) to get the three points after they lost their last match in Brazzaville. But they need to play better than they did today because Williamsville dominated the game and could have got a point from it,” he told Supersport.
Enyimba travel to play Williamsville in Abidjan on July 29. They will be away to Malian side AC Djoliba on August 17 before hosting CARA Brazzaville on August 29.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]
Latest Nigeria News
- Gregory van der Wiel to leave Toronto FC after training camp bust-up with Greg Vanney - source
- Transfer Talk: Martin Skriniar dismisses talk of Manchester United move
- Barcelona boss Valverde defends Messi omission in Copa del Rey defeat
- Malcom, Philippe Coutinho both struggle again as Barca dig another Copa del Rey hole
- Nicol: De Jong good enough to play straight away
- Higuain will score goals, but is that enough?
- Dani Alves, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting both 7/10 but Neymar injured in PSG's cup win
- Portland Timbers pursuing Tigres striker Julian Quinones - source
- Central Coast Mariners sign former Reading star Jem Karacan
- Jets weather late Mariners storm
- Sydney FC hold on for all three points
- Adelaide and Perth settle for goalless draw
- Berhalter hopeful young USMNT will absorb new concepts
- AC Milan sign Krzysztof Piatek as replacement for Chelsea's Gonzalo Higuain
- Balotelli hoping to thrive under Marseille's big expectations
- Phil Neville: Lionesses among the World Cup favourites
- Fulham Aboubakar Kamara arrested for incident at training ground - reports
- Could Diawara step up should Allan join PSG?
- Landon Donovan returns to professional soccer with San Diego Sockers in arena league
- Aguero adds to Man City's aggregate lead
- For most clubs, losing a star like Frenkie De Jong would be a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Barcelona sign Frenkie de Jong from Ajax for ¬75m, joins in summer
- CAF host Continental Seminar for Technical Directors in Cairo
- Beckham: I have such fond memories of Salford
- Henry: Monaco owners will decide my future
- Higuain to sign for Chelsea: Sarri says Milan problems not a 'failure'
- Beckham joins Class of 92 teammates at Salford City
- Pochettino: Alli injury blow comes at 'worst moment' for Tottenham
- Aaron Ramsey leaving Arsenal 'comfort zone' for Juventus - Ryan Giggs
- Ballack: Hazard is a little too calm at Chelsea
- Do Ajax have the best academy in world football?
- Giggs: Juventus' quality will improve Ramsey
- For most clubs, losing top talent is a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Man United charity auction: Solskjaer's watch raises twice as much as Mourinho's
- Eric Bailly from Manchester United to Arsenal 'impossible' in January - source
- Was it wrong for Man City to beat Burton 9-0? Or are critics missing the point of football?
- Banyana Banyana, Sweden share spoils in Cape Town
- Nigeria name Flying Eagles squad for Niger 2019
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Real Madrid to beat Man City to £90m Paulo Dybala
- Rumour Rater: Arsenal eye Gelson Martins on loan; PSG want Julian Weigl