Three legends, Hazem Emam of Egypt, Mark Fish of South Africa and Angolan Gilberto have been appointed Ambassadors for the 2018 CAF Interclubs season.
The trio, all past winners of CAF Club Championships and revered across the continent will be unveiled during the draw for the Group Phase of the Total CAF Champions League and the playoff of the Total CAF Confederation Cup on Wednesday, 21 March 2018 in Cairo, Egypt.
They will also assist in the draw process, which will be televised to millions across the world.
“The three players are no strangers to African club football. They represent various generations and we strongly believe their association with the two competitions will hugely influence our goal of taking the continental club championships to the doorstep of every African and the world at large,” CAF General Secretary Amr Fahmy said.
An iconic figure in Egyptian football, Emam followed in the footsteps of his father, Hamada, and grandfather, Yehia, and ascended to legendary status at Cairo giants, Zamalek. The talented midfielder lifted the CAF Champions League twice with Zamalek, 1996 and 2002 and also the CAF Super Cup in 2003. Amongst the rare breed of Egyptians to have played in Europe after stints with Udinese (Italy) and De Graafschap (Netherland), he spent more than a decade in two spells with Zamalek. A winner of the Africa Cup of Nations in 1998 with the Pharaohs, he currently serves as a member of the CAF Technical and Development Committee.
A popular name on the streets of South Africa, Fish is fondly remembered for his exploits with Bafana Bafana during their 1996 Africa Cup of Nations triumph on home soil. However, it was his performance with Orlando Pirates, winning the CAF Champions League in 1995, that brought him to the fore. Pirates beat ASEC Mimosas of Cote d’Ivoire 3-2 on aggregate becoming the first and only South Africa till this date, to lay their hands on the Holy Grail of African club football. With over 60 caps for South Africa, Fish also donned the colours of Lazio (Italy) and English sides, Bolton Wanderers, Charlton Athletic and Ipswich Town.
Gilberto counts as one of the most successful foreigners to play in Egypt. His performances during his eight years with Cairo giants, Al Ahly, earned him legendary status. Famed for his swift runs and crosses from the left flanks, he was one of the lieutenants of the Jose Manuel’s Ahly squad of the late 2000’s. He won the CAF Champions League on three occasions - 2005, 2007 and 2008.
Latest Nigeria News
- Monaco’s Diakhaby signs three-year contract with Huddersfield
- Liverpool's ¬62.5m offer for Alisson 'irrefusable' for Roma - Francesco Totti
- Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger not in running to become next Japan manager
- Liverpool's Naby Keita always wanted to be Steven Gerrard as a kid
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Barcelona coming in with £55m-plus bid for Chelsea's Willian
- Gor Mahia shed goal-shy image with four in CAF romp
- Ethiopia Appoints Abraham Mebratu as Head Coach
- Brighton sign South Africa star Tau
- Mwase: Malawi needs nothing but victory
- Elite Beach Soccer referees gear up for Sharm El Sheikh
- Mahrez shows glimpse of City prowess
- Transfer Talk: Barcelona coming in with £55m-plus bid for Chelsea's Willian
- Liverpool's Naby Keita emulated 'boss' Steven Gerrard as a kid
- Asaba 2018: AFN invites 61 athletes to camp
- Lawal warns F’Eagles over Mauritania
- Stakeholders raise the alarm over league suspension
- Thai cave boys relive ‘moment of miracle’
- Stars, flops of Russia 2018 World Cup
- Brazil and PSG defender Dani Alves slams Neymar memes: It's not a joke
- Chelsea need 'best player' Eden Hazard to stay - Cesc Fabregas
- David De Gea will stay at Manchester United because of fans - Ander Herrera
- Transfer Talk: Real Madrid ready £112 million bid for Eden Hazard, also targeting Mauro Icardi
- VIDEO: Goalkeeper Alisson’s wife celebrates husband’s $84m move to Liverpool
- Madrid's return to Galactico spending
- Leicester City seal signing of Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward
- I will help Liverpool win title, says Fabinho
- Croatia’s Caleta-Car signs five-year contract with Marseille
- German federation bosses are ‘amateurs’ — Bayern’s Rummenigge
- Liverpool's Mohamed Salah sent Alisson text messages urging him to join club
- Neymar: I am staying at Paris Saint-Germain and want to win with them
- Kylian Mbappe ahead of where Thierry Henry was at same age - Didier Deschamps
- Barcelona told Ajax's Frenkie de Jong will not leave this summer
- Tottenham's Son Heung-Min signs new five-year contract until 2023
- Manchester United's Alexis Sanchez 'has to play' vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Jose Mourinho
- Conte to sue Chelsea over delayed sacking
- Chelsea prepare for life under new manager Sarri in Australia
- Sports court annuls AC Milan Europa League ban
- Nigeria host Mauritania as qualifiers reach final lap
- Zambia bank on positive away run
- Liverpool title talk is premature