Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara is convinced his side can make a serious assault on the Champions League this season.
"We are still one of the three, four teams that everyone wants to beat," the 26-year-old Spain international told ESPN FC ahead of Bayern's second-leg tie with Besiktas on Wednesday.
The German champions travel to Istanbul with a seemingly unassailable 5-0 lead from the first game in Munich three weeks ago.
Thiago believes that "only small details" prevented them from making it to the final of Europe's top club competition in recent years and has credited coach Jupp Heynckes with making a number of improvements that could see the 72-year-old repeat his 2013 Treble with the Bundesliga giants.
"We have the same team but a mentality that's a little bit better," Thiago said.
"Maybe it's because the people know the trainer from before, and they want exactly what the trainer wants. This fusion makes the team a little bit more aggressive."
Italian coach Carlo Ancelotti was fired after a 3-0 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain in the group stage in September. Heynckes' return has seen Bayern go on a devastating run of 25 wins, one draw and one solitary defeat in 27 matches across all competitions.
Better attitude and application from the players aside, Thiago hinted at more balanced tactical approach as the reason for the team's return to form.
"We have this German mentality of attack, of [playing on] counters and we are doing great," he said.
"We have this freedom to play, [while] keeping more safe behind. And we are conceding less goals than before."
As a result, confidence is high that Bayern can lift the European Cup for a sixth time this May.
"The Bundesliga is important for sure, and the cup is as well," Thiago said. "But winning the Champions League is the point of being at a club like Bayern."
Raphael Honigstein is ESPN FC's German football expert and a regular guest on ESPN FC TV. He also writes for the Guardian. Twitter: @honigstein.
Latest Nigeria News
- Dominika Cibulkova knocks Halep out of Wuhan Open
- Pogba can never be Man United captain again —Mourinho
- VIDEO: Nigeria’s D’Tigress thrash Argentina
- Oxford United 0-3 Man City: Mahrez scoring continues
- West Brom 0-3 Crystal Palace: Townsend dazzles
- Inter Milan 2-1 Fiorentina: D'Ambrosio delivers for Nerazzurri
- Tottenham's new stadium to be ready before Christmas - Mauricio Pochettino
- Phil Foden 9/10 as Man City rout Oxford United in Carabao Cup
- Derby County knock out Man United, increase the pressure on Jose Mourinho
- Inter Milan earn lucky win against Fiorentina despite second-half lapse
- Can Harare City's Muyambo become Zimbabwe's next great defensive midfielder?
- Manchester United 2-2 Derby County: Derby through on penalties
- Manchester City teenager Phil Foden can star for club for 10 years - Pep Guardiola
- Real Madrid’s midfielder to miss derby due to appendix surgery
- Sarri will help Hazard reach his potential, insists Zola
- Chelsea are realistic title contenders –Liverpool’s Klopp
- Andy Murray wins first round at Shenzhen Open
- Newcastle boss Benitez charged over ref comments
- Nigeria to move Libya clash to Uyo
- Young Galaxy fan delivers impressive national anthem
- Jose Mourinho tells Paul Pogba he'll never captain Manchester United again - sources
- Messi is the greatest ever despite The Best snub, says Samuel Eto'o
- Barcelona's Ernesto Valverde: Award shows turning football into 'show business'
- FIFA to introduce reforms for transfers, loans once they receive approval
- Hislop: No end to Mourinho-Pogba feud
- Mourinho's marvels past & present
- Transfer Rater: Real eyeing Fekir? Sane to Juventus?
- Serie A Predictor: Roma and Milan to halt slide?
- Run NFF as modern football organisation, Balogun advises Pinnick
- FIFA to reintroduce agent licences
- Manchester United expect higher revenue, core earnings for 2019
- Players have times they don’t score, Klopp defends Salah
- Wozniacki, Kerber off to fast start at Wuhan Open
- Cousin appointed sole Gabon coach after Aubameyang’s father rejects job
- 2018 Maritime Cup starts
- Police athletics trials set to hold
- Modric named world’s best,ends Ronaldo-Messi reign
- Stoke star fathers three children in six weeks
- Joshua reveals illness
- Red Bulls' Robles & Davis showcase FIFA 19 skills