Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara is convinced his side can make a serious assault on the Champions League this season.
"We are still one of the three, four teams that everyone wants to beat," the 26-year-old Spain international told ESPN FC ahead of Bayern's second-leg tie with Besiktas on Wednesday.
The German champions travel to Istanbul with a seemingly unassailable 5-0 lead from the first game in Munich three weeks ago.
Thiago believes that "only small details" prevented them from making it to the final of Europe's top club competition in recent years and has credited coach Jupp Heynckes with making a number of improvements that could see the 72-year-old repeat his 2013 Treble with the Bundesliga giants.
"We have the same team but a mentality that's a little bit better," Thiago said.
"Maybe it's because the people know the trainer from before, and they want exactly what the trainer wants. This fusion makes the team a little bit more aggressive."
Italian coach Carlo Ancelotti was fired after a 3-0 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain in the group stage in September. Heynckes' return has seen Bayern go on a devastating run of 25 wins, one draw and one solitary defeat in 27 matches across all competitions.
Better attitude and application from the players aside, Thiago hinted at more balanced tactical approach as the reason for the team's return to form.
"We have this German mentality of attack, of [playing on] counters and we are doing great," he said.
"We have this freedom to play, [while] keeping more safe behind. And we are conceding less goals than before."
As a result, confidence is high that Bayern can lift the European Cup for a sixth time this May.
"The Bundesliga is important for sure, and the cup is as well," Thiago said. "But winning the Champions League is the point of being at a club like Bayern."
Raphael Honigstein is ESPN FC's German football expert and a regular guest on ESPN FC TV. He also writes for the Guardian. Twitter: @honigstein.
Latest Nigeria News
- Sanchez admits to rough start at Man United
- CAF Champions League group draw
- Atletico Madrid's Antoine Griezmann: Future will be decided before World Cup
- Ousmane Dembele needs right attitude to make it at Barcelona - Xavi
- Javi Martinez: Spain boss Julen Lopetegui hasn't explained squad snub to me
- Prosecutor seeks five-year jail for Xabi Alonso over tax fraud
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw being monitored by Everton - sources
- 'Outrageous' dive by Chilean player set to lead to punishment
- Transfer Rater: Hector Bellerin to Manchester United, Nabil Fekir to Arsenal
- Man United discuss song sheets to boost Old Trafford atmosphere at fan forum
- Xabi Alonso tax fraud case: Spanish prosecutors seek five-year sentence
- Usman targets ABU title at GOtv Boxing Night
- Nigerians suffer humiliating defeats at Lagos Squash Classics
- Why I’m the best in the world – Ronaldo
- Mikel doubtful, Etebo out as Moses, Ighalo hit Poland
- I would like to play with Neymar – Pogba
- World Cup squads: Who is on the plane to Russia, and who is in limbo?
- Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo asked about life in China - Luiz Felipe Scolari
- Brazil, PSG doctors in 'total harmony' on Neymar injury - Rodrigo Lasmar
- Starbucks food, sweeteners banned at England team hotel - source
- Transfer Rater: Mohamed Salah to Barcelona, Aaron Ramsey to Manchester United
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea among many interested in Toby Alderweireld
- Ronaldo's 2002 World Cup haircut was a deliberate distraction
- Man United's Luke Shaw can still be among 'best in the world' - Ashley Young
- Lionel Messi trains with Argentina teammates at Manchester City facility
- Putting Ronaldo's form into context
- Messi joins Argentina training ahead of Italy clash
- From non-league to World Cup, Pope dreams of keeping for England
- French Open champions to receive record €2.2m
- Pogba misses France training
- CAF Confederation Cup play-offs draw seeding
- Super Eagles camp abuzz for friendlies against Poland, Serbia
- Four countries weigh diplomatic snub of Russia’s World Cup
- Draw Procedures for Interclubs Group Phase
- Things have to change if trophies are to come, says Benitez
- I always believe nobody is better than me, says Ronaldo
- Facts and figures
- Emam, Fish & Gilberto named Ambassadors for Interclubs
- Total CL & CC official draw: broadcasters list
- Kehinde targets unbreakable Paralympic world record