Tanzania champions, Young Africans, travel to Gaborone, Botswana, with hope of reversing the 2-1 first leg loss inflicted on them by hosts Township Rollers, as they aim for a second taste of the group stage in the club’s history.
Yanga as the Tanzanian side are fondly called succumbed have a mountain to climb when they play as guests of highflying Rollers on Saturday, 17 March 2018 in Gaborone.
Head coach, George Lwandamina, has declared that they will try to keep possession in the second leg to deny the homers a chance to attack and score more goals.
“We are targeting an early away goal to minimize the pressure. If we are successful on that, we can knock them out and reach the group stage,” said Lwandamina, who led Zambia’s Zesco to the last four of the premier continental club championship two years ago.
“Our opponents are good on the ball. If we let them play, they will attack us more and score goals and things will be tougher for us.
“The remaining 90 minutes is the only chance we have to go through. We will attack but also remain cautious in the defence not to concede more goals. I’m sure we can make it,” he added.
Despite the loss in the first leg last week in Dar es Salaam, midfielder Emmanuel Martins believes Yanga can rewrite the books in the reverse.
“We saw them (Township Rollers) in the first leg; they are a good team and play well. They are tough but beatable. In the return, they will surely open up and we hope to capitalise on the spaces that will be created as a result,” he said.
On his part, striker Obrey Chirwa, who has netted 15 goals for Yanga in all competitions this season, is upbeat of a positive outing from the trip to Gaborone.
“In the CAF Champions League, all teams are champions from their respective countries and this makes it tough to play against any side. However, we are confident that we will play well in Botswana. We have a good team that can make it. We have won eight consecutive games in the Tanzania Premier League, and I’m hopeful we will replicate that performance against Township Rollers in Gaborone,” Chirwa added.
The winner after two legs qualifies for the group stage, with the loser dropping to the playoff of the Total CAF Confederation Cup.
Saturday, 17 March 2018
KCCA (Uganda) vs Saint George (Ethiopia) (0-0)
Mbabane Swallows (Swaziland) vs Zanaco (Zambia) (2-1)
Williamsville (Cote d’Ivoire) vs Wydad (Morocco) (2-7)
CF Mounana (Gabon) vs Al Ahly (Egypt) (0-4)
MC Alger (Algeria) vs MFM (Nigeria) (1-2)
Generation Foot (Senegal) vs Horoya (Guinea) (1-2)
Township Rollers (Botswana) vs Young Africans (Tanzania) (2-1)
UD Songo (Mozambique) vs TP Mazembe (DR Congo) (0-4)
Bidvest (South Africa) vs Primeiro de Agosto (Angola) (0-1)
Sunday, 18 March 2018
ES Setif (Algeria) vs Aduana (Ghana) (1-0)
Esperance (Tunisia) vs Gor Mahia (Kenya) (0-0)
Plateau United (Nigeria) vs Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia) (2-4)
El Hilal (Sudan) vs AS Togo (Togo) (0-2)
ASEC Mimosas (Cote d’Ivoire) vs Zesco (Zambia) (1-0)
AS Vita (DR Congo) vs Difaa El Jadidi (Morocco) (0-1)
Mamelodi Sundowns (South Africa) vs Rayon Sport (Rwanda) (0-0)
Latest Nigeria News
- Sanchez admits to rough start at Man United
- CAF Champions League group draw
- Atletico Madrid's Antoine Griezmann: Future will be decided before World Cup
- Ousmane Dembele needs right attitude to make it at Barcelona - Xavi
- Javi Martinez: Spain boss Julen Lopetegui hasn't explained squad snub to me
- Prosecutor seeks five-year jail for Xabi Alonso over tax fraud
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw being monitored by Everton - sources
- 'Outrageous' dive by Chilean player set to lead to punishment
- Transfer Rater: Hector Bellerin to Manchester United, Nabil Fekir to Arsenal
- Man United discuss song sheets to boost Old Trafford atmosphere at fan forum
- Xabi Alonso tax fraud case: Spanish prosecutors seek five-year sentence
- Usman targets ABU title at GOtv Boxing Night
- Nigerians suffer humiliating defeats at Lagos Squash Classics
- Why I’m the best in the world – Ronaldo
- Mikel doubtful, Etebo out as Moses, Ighalo hit Poland
- I would like to play with Neymar – Pogba
- World Cup squads: Who is on the plane to Russia, and who is in limbo?
- Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo asked about life in China - Luiz Felipe Scolari
- Brazil, PSG doctors in 'total harmony' on Neymar injury - Rodrigo Lasmar
- Starbucks food, sweeteners banned at England team hotel - source
- Transfer Rater: Mohamed Salah to Barcelona, Aaron Ramsey to Manchester United
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea among many interested in Toby Alderweireld
- Ronaldo's 2002 World Cup haircut was a deliberate distraction
- Man United's Luke Shaw can still be among 'best in the world' - Ashley Young
- Lionel Messi trains with Argentina teammates at Manchester City facility
- Putting Ronaldo's form into context
- Messi joins Argentina training ahead of Italy clash
- From non-league to World Cup, Pope dreams of keeping for England
- French Open champions to receive record €2.2m
- Pogba misses France training
- CAF Confederation Cup play-offs draw seeding
- Super Eagles camp abuzz for friendlies against Poland, Serbia
- Four countries weigh diplomatic snub of Russia’s World Cup
- Draw Procedures for Interclubs Group Phase
- Things have to change if trophies are to come, says Benitez
- I always believe nobody is better than me, says Ronaldo
- Facts and figures
- Emam, Fish & Gilberto named Ambassadors for Interclubs
- Total CL & CC official draw: broadcasters list
- Kehinde targets unbreakable Paralympic world record