The famous red shirt of Egyptian giants Al Ahly will witness a change next season, as a fourth star will be emblazoned on their logo.
Earlier this week, Ahly grabbed their 40th Egyptian Premier League title. After beating ENPPI 1-0 on Sunday, a barren draw between El Masry and visiting El Entag El Harby 24-hours later handed Ahly the title for the third straight season.
Defender Ayman Ashraf scored the only goal from a Ali Maaloul corner kick after just three minutes at Petrosport stadium, just outside Cairo, to give Ahly all three points against hosts ENPPI on Sunday (11 March 2018). Hossam El Badry's side held onto the narrow win to put their hands on the title.
With six matches to spare in the 18-club league, Ahly have amassed 75 points from 28 games. Second place Ismaily has 53 points from 27 games with Ahly’s eternal rivals, Zamalek third on 51 points.
The feat see the Cairo-based Red Devils extended their unprecedented record in the Egyptian Premier League. In a league that started in 1948/1949, Ahly won 40 titles out of the completed 59 seasons. Their bitterest rivals Zamalek has 12 titles, Ismaily has three, while Tersana, Olimpy, Ghazl El Mahalla and Arab Contractors have a title each to their names.
After completing a domestic treble last season, Ahly are looking forward to a similar feat this term. The Cairo giants are due to face El Dakhleya at the 1/8th round of the Egyptian Cup next month, with their spot in the Egyptian Super Cup guaranteed thanks to the league triumph.
Their ultimate goal remains a much bigger one; the continental title. Five years after they last conquered Africa in 2013, Ahly are eager to extend their record eight titles with yet another CAF Champions League trophy.
They have a foot at the mini-league stage having defeated Gabon's CF Mounana 4-0 in the first leg of the 1/16th round. The second leg is due for Libreville on Saturday.
Latest Nigeria News
- I won’t box again if I had Povetkin’s doping issues –Joshua
- Nwakali joins Porto on loan
- Rapes and beatings: The travails of S’Korea’s young athletes
- ‘We aren’t under pressure to win Lagos badminton’
- Aremu joins F’Eagles for Mauritania clash
- 2018 COSAFA Under-17 Championships – DAY 1 WRAP DAY 2 PREVIEW
- Fabinho jokes he'll get Kylian Mbappe to swap PSG for Liverpool
- Pogba's France role no good at United
- Sanchez gets visa to join Manchester United’s US tour
- With 11.4m responses, Ronaldo’s Instagram post becomes fifth most liked of all time
- Jorginho vows to bring fresh style to Chelsea
- Robson: Mourinho took a dig at Pogba in press conference
- Liverpool seal deal for Alisson in world-record goalkeeper transfer
- Cheery up, Mourinho!
- Hislop: Usain Bolt to the A-League is a marketing ploy
- Wilshere hoping to boost England chances with West Ham move
- French World Cup ace Pavard may join Bayern before new season
- Liverpool close in on record €75m deal for Brazil’s Alisson
- Cristiano Ronaldo move to Juventus influenced by Spain tax rate - La Liga chief
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Paul Pogba answered Manchester United critics at World Cup
- Liverpool giving medical to Alisson ahead of 'significant' transfer - Monchi
- Leicester City in talks with Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward - source
- Zinedine Zidane has never been considered as France coach - FFF boss
- Petr Cech fully focused on Arsenal, no Chelsea offers on table - agent
- Mourinho worried by Man United’s ‘very bad’ pre-season
- Balogun eager to kickoff new EPL campaign with Brighton
- ‘We have to collect their bones’: Klopp fears post-World Cup injury woe
- Arsenal youngster Nwakali joins Porto on loan
- French envoy angry at joke that ‘Africa won the World Cup’
- Transfer Talk LIVE: Chelsea and Milan in Alvaro Morata, Gianluigi Donnarumma swap
- Guikan brace sends Gor flying past Yanga
- Transfer Talk LIVE: Manchester United lining up Robert Lewandowski, Thiago moves
- Spending 22 years at Arsenal, my biggest mistake –Wenger
- Athletes kick as AFN hands off domestic competitions
- Russia 2018 Tit Bits: A lesson for African (mis)leaders
- Joshua ready to prove his worth against Povetkin
- Enyimba beat Williamsville 1-0 in Confed Cup
- AYG: Nigeria draw Morocco, Libya in football
- Turkey, Hungary, United States clubs join Central Coast Mariners' race to sign Usain Bolt
- Transfer Talk: Manchester United lining up Robert Lewandowski, Thiago moves