The famous red shirt of Egyptian giants Al Ahly will witness a change next season, as a fourth star will be emblazoned on their logo.
Earlier this week, Ahly grabbed their 40th Egyptian Premier League title. After beating ENPPI 1-0 on Sunday, a barren draw between El Masry and visiting El Entag El Harby 24-hours later handed Ahly the title for the third straight season.
Defender Ayman Ashraf scored the only goal from a Ali Maaloul corner kick after just three minutes at Petrosport stadium, just outside Cairo, to give Ahly all three points against hosts ENPPI on Sunday (11 March 2018). Hossam El Badry's side held onto the narrow win to put their hands on the title.
With six matches to spare in the 18-club league, Ahly have amassed 75 points from 28 games. Second place Ismaily has 53 points from 27 games with Ahly’s eternal rivals, Zamalek third on 51 points.
The feat see the Cairo-based Red Devils extended their unprecedented record in the Egyptian Premier League. In a league that started in 1948/1949, Ahly won 40 titles out of the completed 59 seasons. Their bitterest rivals Zamalek has 12 titles, Ismaily has three, while Tersana, Olimpy, Ghazl El Mahalla and Arab Contractors have a title each to their names.
After completing a domestic treble last season, Ahly are looking forward to a similar feat this term. The Cairo giants are due to face El Dakhleya at the 1/8th round of the Egyptian Cup next month, with their spot in the Egyptian Super Cup guaranteed thanks to the league triumph.
Their ultimate goal remains a much bigger one; the continental title. Five years after they last conquered Africa in 2013, Ahly are eager to extend their record eight titles with yet another CAF Champions League trophy.
They have a foot at the mini-league stage having defeated Gabon's CF Mounana 4-0 in the first leg of the 1/16th round. The second leg is due for Libreville on Saturday.
Latest Nigeria News
- Gregory van der Wiel to leave Toronto FC after training camp bust-up with Greg Vanney - source
- Transfer Talk: Martin Skriniar dismisses talk of Manchester United move
- Barcelona boss Valverde defends Messi omission in Copa del Rey defeat
- Malcom, Philippe Coutinho both struggle again as Barca dig another Copa del Rey hole
- Nicol: De Jong good enough to play straight away
- Higuain will score goals, but is that enough?
- Dani Alves, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting both 7/10 but Neymar injured in PSG's cup win
- Portland Timbers pursuing Tigres striker Julian Quinones - source
- Central Coast Mariners sign former Reading star Jem Karacan
- Jets weather late Mariners storm
- Sydney FC hold on for all three points
- Adelaide and Perth settle for goalless draw
- Berhalter hopeful young USMNT will absorb new concepts
- AC Milan sign Krzysztof Piatek as replacement for Chelsea's Gonzalo Higuain
- Balotelli hoping to thrive under Marseille's big expectations
- Phil Neville: Lionesses among the World Cup favourites
- Fulham Aboubakar Kamara arrested for incident at training ground - reports
- Could Diawara step up should Allan join PSG?
- Landon Donovan returns to professional soccer with San Diego Sockers in arena league
- Aguero adds to Man City's aggregate lead
- For most clubs, losing a star like Frenkie De Jong would be a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Barcelona sign Frenkie de Jong from Ajax for ¬75m, joins in summer
- CAF host Continental Seminar for Technical Directors in Cairo
- Beckham: I have such fond memories of Salford
- Henry: Monaco owners will decide my future
- Higuain to sign for Chelsea: Sarri says Milan problems not a 'failure'
- Beckham joins Class of 92 teammates at Salford City
- Pochettino: Alli injury blow comes at 'worst moment' for Tottenham
- Aaron Ramsey leaving Arsenal 'comfort zone' for Juventus - Ryan Giggs
- Ballack: Hazard is a little too calm at Chelsea
- Do Ajax have the best academy in world football?
- Giggs: Juventus' quality will improve Ramsey
- For most clubs, losing top talent is a killer. For Ajax, it's their business model
- Man United charity auction: Solskjaer's watch raises twice as much as Mourinho's
- Eric Bailly from Manchester United to Arsenal 'impossible' in January - source
- Was it wrong for Man City to beat Burton 9-0? Or are critics missing the point of football?
- Banyana Banyana, Sweden share spoils in Cape Town
- Nigeria name Flying Eagles squad for Niger 2019
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Real Madrid to beat Man City to £90m Paulo Dybala
- Rumour Rater: Arsenal eye Gelson Martins on loan; PSG want Julian Weigl