The famous red shirt of Egyptian giants Al Ahly will witness a change next season, as a fourth star will be emblazoned on their logo.
Earlier this week, Ahly grabbed their 40th Egyptian Premier League title. After beating ENPPI 1-0 on Sunday, a barren draw between El Masry and visiting El Entag El Harby 24-hours later handed Ahly the title for the third straight season.
Defender Ayman Ashraf scored the only goal from a Ali Maaloul corner kick after just three minutes at Petrosport stadium, just outside Cairo, to give Ahly all three points against hosts ENPPI on Sunday (11 March 2018). Hossam El Badry's side held onto the narrow win to put their hands on the title.
With six matches to spare in the 18-club league, Ahly have amassed 75 points from 28 games. Second place Ismaily has 53 points from 27 games with Ahly’s eternal rivals, Zamalek third on 51 points.
The feat see the Cairo-based Red Devils extended their unprecedented record in the Egyptian Premier League. In a league that started in 1948/1949, Ahly won 40 titles out of the completed 59 seasons. Their bitterest rivals Zamalek has 12 titles, Ismaily has three, while Tersana, Olimpy, Ghazl El Mahalla and Arab Contractors have a title each to their names.
After completing a domestic treble last season, Ahly are looking forward to a similar feat this term. The Cairo giants are due to face El Dakhleya at the 1/8th round of the Egyptian Cup next month, with their spot in the Egyptian Super Cup guaranteed thanks to the league triumph.
Their ultimate goal remains a much bigger one; the continental title. Five years after they last conquered Africa in 2013, Ahly are eager to extend their record eight titles with yet another CAF Champions League trophy.
They have a foot at the mini-league stage having defeated Gabon's CF Mounana 4-0 in the first leg of the 1/16th round. The second leg is due for Libreville on Saturday.
Latest Nigeria News
- Sanchez admits to rough start at Man United
- CAF Champions League group draw
- Atletico Madrid's Antoine Griezmann: Future will be decided before World Cup
- Ousmane Dembele needs right attitude to make it at Barcelona - Xavi
- Javi Martinez: Spain boss Julen Lopetegui hasn't explained squad snub to me
- Prosecutor seeks five-year jail for Xabi Alonso over tax fraud
- Manchester United's Luke Shaw being monitored by Everton - sources
- 'Outrageous' dive by Chilean player set to lead to punishment
- Transfer Rater: Hector Bellerin to Manchester United, Nabil Fekir to Arsenal
- Man United discuss song sheets to boost Old Trafford atmosphere at fan forum
- Xabi Alonso tax fraud case: Spanish prosecutors seek five-year sentence
- Usman targets ABU title at GOtv Boxing Night
- Nigerians suffer humiliating defeats at Lagos Squash Classics
- Why I’m the best in the world – Ronaldo
- Mikel doubtful, Etebo out as Moses, Ighalo hit Poland
- I would like to play with Neymar – Pogba
- World Cup squads: Who is on the plane to Russia, and who is in limbo?
- Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo asked about life in China - Luiz Felipe Scolari
- Brazil, PSG doctors in 'total harmony' on Neymar injury - Rodrigo Lasmar
- Starbucks food, sweeteners banned at England team hotel - source
- Transfer Rater: Mohamed Salah to Barcelona, Aaron Ramsey to Manchester United
- Transfer Talk: Chelsea among many interested in Toby Alderweireld
- Ronaldo's 2002 World Cup haircut was a deliberate distraction
- Man United's Luke Shaw can still be among 'best in the world' - Ashley Young
- Lionel Messi trains with Argentina teammates at Manchester City facility
- Putting Ronaldo's form into context
- Messi joins Argentina training ahead of Italy clash
- From non-league to World Cup, Pope dreams of keeping for England
- French Open champions to receive record €2.2m
- Pogba misses France training
- CAF Confederation Cup play-offs draw seeding
- Super Eagles camp abuzz for friendlies against Poland, Serbia
- Four countries weigh diplomatic snub of Russia’s World Cup
- Draw Procedures for Interclubs Group Phase
- Things have to change if trophies are to come, says Benitez
- I always believe nobody is better than me, says Ronaldo
- Facts and figures
- Emam, Fish & Gilberto named Ambassadors for Interclubs
- Total CL & CC official draw: broadcasters list
- Kehinde targets unbreakable Paralympic world record