A second-half strike from Edin Dzeko sent Roma into the quarterfinals of the Champions League with a 1-0 home victory against 10-man Shakhtar Donetsk.
Roma, beyond the round of 16 for the first time since 2008, advanced on away goals after losing 2-1 in the first leg in Ukraine on Feb. 21.
Dzeko, who had his first chance in the opening minute, broke Shakhtar's stout back four in the 52nd. Kevin Strootman beat the offside trap with a through ball that Dzeko collected just inside the penalty area on the left, and with Andriy Pyatov out to play it, Dzeko calmly finished between the goalkeeper's legs from 16 yards.
The Bosnia international nearly doubled the lead seven minutes later on a feed from Radja Nainggolan, but his attempt at the top-left corner went wide.
Shakhtar, who controlled possession throughout the first half, went down a man in the 79th minute when Ivan Ordets was shown a straight red card for taking down Dzeko from behind just outside the penalty area.
The resulting dispute led to several skirmishes among players on both sides, culminating in a bizarre scene in which a ballboy was pushed over the advertising hoarding by a Shakhtar player.
That loss of focus contributed to a hectic final 10 minutes plus four minutes of added time for the visitors, whose only remaining chance was from a free kick in the 88th minute that was quickly snuffed out.
Shakhtar, seeking to move on to the quarterfinals for the first time since they knocked Roma out in the round of 16 in 2011, have still never won in a European competition in Italy in nine chances.
And with the clean sheet, Roma goalkeeper Alisson has yet to concede at the Stade Olimpico in the Champions League this season.
Latest Nigeria News
- I won’t box again if I had Povetkin’s doping issues –Joshua
- Nwakali joins Porto on loan
- Rapes and beatings: The travails of S’Korea’s young athletes
- ‘We aren’t under pressure to win Lagos badminton’
- Aremu joins F’Eagles for Mauritania clash
- 2018 COSAFA Under-17 Championships – DAY 1 WRAP DAY 2 PREVIEW
- Fabinho jokes he'll get Kylian Mbappe to swap PSG for Liverpool
- Pogba's France role no good at United
- Sanchez gets visa to join Manchester United’s US tour
- With 11.4m responses, Ronaldo’s Instagram post becomes fifth most liked of all time
- Jorginho vows to bring fresh style to Chelsea
- Robson: Mourinho took a dig at Pogba in press conference
- Liverpool seal deal for Alisson in world-record goalkeeper transfer
- Cheery up, Mourinho!
- Hislop: Usain Bolt to the A-League is a marketing ploy
- Wilshere hoping to boost England chances with West Ham move
- French World Cup ace Pavard may join Bayern before new season
- Liverpool close in on record €75m deal for Brazil’s Alisson
- Cristiano Ronaldo move to Juventus influenced by Spain tax rate - La Liga chief
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Paul Pogba answered Manchester United critics at World Cup
- Liverpool giving medical to Alisson ahead of 'significant' transfer - Monchi
- Leicester City in talks with Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward - source
- Zinedine Zidane has never been considered as France coach - FFF boss
- Petr Cech fully focused on Arsenal, no Chelsea offers on table - agent
- Mourinho worried by Man United’s ‘very bad’ pre-season
- Balogun eager to kickoff new EPL campaign with Brighton
- ‘We have to collect their bones’: Klopp fears post-World Cup injury woe
- Arsenal youngster Nwakali joins Porto on loan
- French envoy angry at joke that ‘Africa won the World Cup’
- Transfer Talk LIVE: Chelsea and Milan in Alvaro Morata, Gianluigi Donnarumma swap
- Guikan brace sends Gor flying past Yanga
- Transfer Talk LIVE: Manchester United lining up Robert Lewandowski, Thiago moves
- Spending 22 years at Arsenal, my biggest mistake –Wenger
- Athletes kick as AFN hands off domestic competitions
- Russia 2018 Tit Bits: A lesson for African (mis)leaders
- Joshua ready to prove his worth against Povetkin
- Enyimba beat Williamsville 1-0 in Confed Cup
- AYG: Nigeria draw Morocco, Libya in football
- Turkey, Hungary, United States clubs join Central Coast Mariners' race to sign Usain Bolt
- Transfer Talk: Manchester United lining up Robert Lewandowski, Thiago moves