Things change in the blink of an eye in football. The Football Whispers Index takes the latest transfer rumours and gives them a score out of five; the higher the score, the more realistic and reliable the whisper.
Here are today's top five emerging whispers. And keep an eye on Transfer Talk for all the latest gossip.
Daniel Sturridge to Newcastle United
Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez is looking to bring in reinforcements during the January transfer window in an attempt to stave off the threat of a relegation battle. They're 16th in the Premier League but just the three points off the bottom of the table. The team are finding goals hard to come by, averaging 0.94 per game so far this term, and have been linked with a number of forwards. The Newcastle Chronicle claim Benitez wants to raid his former club Liverpool to sign Sturridge and believe first-team football would be enough to tempt him to swap red for black and white.
Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool
Liverpool are prepared to battle it out with league leaders Manchester City to secure the signing of long-term target Van Dijk. The Dutch centre-back topped Jurgen Klopp's wishlist during the summer but claims of illegal approaches shelved any possibility of the former Celtic defender moving to Anfield. However, the Liverpool Echo believe Klopp want the recruitment team to do everything in their power to sign Van Dijk during the January transfer window ahead of rivals City.
Willian to Manchester United
The Daily Mail have revealed Willian is once again a target for Manchester United. Jose Mourinho wanted to bring the Brazilian to Old Trafford during the summer along with Nemanja Matic. However, a move never materialised and Willian has scored some vital goals for Antonio Conte's team this season. But recent reports suggest Chelsea have targeted Thomas Lemar and Leon Bailey, meaning Willian would be surplus to requirements and free to move on.
Danny Ings to West Brom
Alan Pardew is set to meet with West Brom technical director Nick Hammond to discuss the club's strategy for the January transfer window. The Telegraph claim Ings is their top transfer target, with the new West Brom boss looking to boost the firepower he has at his disposal. It is believed Liverpool would be open to loaning Ings out in an attempt to expose him regular first-team football after injuries have plagued him for the past two years.
Daley Blind to Barcelona
Barcelona are in the market for defenders this January, with Samuel Umtiti injured and Javier Mascherano agitating for a move away from the Camp Nou. Marca claim the La Liga leaders have targeted Blind and believe they can get the Manchester United left-back in a cut-price deal due to the fact his contract expires in the summer of 2018.
Latest Nigeria News
- Paul Pogba praised by Didier Deschamps for dealing with media pressure at World Cup
- Monaco’s Diakhaby signs three-year contract with Huddersfield
- Liverpool's ¬62.5m offer for Alisson 'irrefusable' for Roma - Francesco Totti
- Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger not in running to become next Japan manager
- Liverpool's Naby Keita always wanted to be Steven Gerrard as a kid
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Barcelona coming in with £55m-plus bid for Chelsea's Willian
- Gor Mahia shed goal-shy image with four in CAF romp
- Ethiopia Appoints Abraham Mebratu as Head Coach
- Brighton sign South Africa star Tau
- Mwase: Malawi needs nothing but victory
- Elite Beach Soccer referees gear up for Sharm El Sheikh
- Mahrez shows glimpse of City prowess
- Transfer Talk: Barcelona coming in with £55m-plus bid for Chelsea's Willian
- Liverpool's Naby Keita emulated 'boss' Steven Gerrard as a kid
- Asaba 2018: AFN invites 61 athletes to camp
- Lawal warns F’Eagles over Mauritania
- Stakeholders raise the alarm over league suspension
- Thai cave boys relive ‘moment of miracle’
- Stars, flops of Russia 2018 World Cup
- Brazil and PSG defender Dani Alves slams Neymar memes: It's not a joke
- Chelsea need 'best player' Eden Hazard to stay - Cesc Fabregas
- David De Gea will stay at Manchester United because of fans - Ander Herrera
- Transfer Talk: Real Madrid ready £112 million bid for Eden Hazard, also targeting Mauro Icardi
- VIDEO: Goalkeeper Alisson’s wife celebrates husband’s $84m move to Liverpool
- Madrid's return to Galactico spending
- Leicester City seal signing of Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward
- I will help Liverpool win title, says Fabinho
- Croatia’s Caleta-Car signs five-year contract with Marseille
- German federation bosses are ‘amateurs’ — Bayern’s Rummenigge
- Liverpool's Mohamed Salah sent Alisson text messages urging him to join club
- Neymar: I am staying at Paris Saint-Germain and want to win with them
- Kylian Mbappe ahead of where Thierry Henry was at same age - Didier Deschamps
- Barcelona told Ajax's Frenkie de Jong will not leave this summer
- Tottenham's Son Heung-Min signs new five-year contract until 2023
- Manchester United's Alexis Sanchez 'has to play' vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Jose Mourinho
- Conte to sue Chelsea over delayed sacking
- Chelsea prepare for life under new manager Sarri in Australia
- Sports court annuls AC Milan Europa League ban
- Nigeria host Mauritania as qualifiers reach final lap
- Zambia bank on positive away run