Things change in the blink of an eye in football. The Football Whispers Index takes the latest transfer rumours and gives them a score out of five; the higher the score, the more realistic and reliable the whisper.
Here are today's top five emerging whispers. And keep an eye on Transfer Talk for all the latest gossip.
Daniel Sturridge to Newcastle United
Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez is looking to bring in reinforcements during the January transfer window in an attempt to stave off the threat of a relegation battle. They're 16th in the Premier League but just the three points off the bottom of the table. The team are finding goals hard to come by, averaging 0.94 per game so far this term, and have been linked with a number of forwards. The Newcastle Chronicle claim Benitez wants to raid his former club Liverpool to sign Sturridge and believe first-team football would be enough to tempt him to swap red for black and white.
Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool
Liverpool are prepared to battle it out with league leaders Manchester City to secure the signing of long-term target Van Dijk. The Dutch centre-back topped Jurgen Klopp's wishlist during the summer but claims of illegal approaches shelved any possibility of the former Celtic defender moving to Anfield. However, the Liverpool Echo believe Klopp want the recruitment team to do everything in their power to sign Van Dijk during the January transfer window ahead of rivals City.
Willian to Manchester United
The Daily Mail have revealed Willian is once again a target for Manchester United. Jose Mourinho wanted to bring the Brazilian to Old Trafford during the summer along with Nemanja Matic. However, a move never materialised and Willian has scored some vital goals for Antonio Conte's team this season. But recent reports suggest Chelsea have targeted Thomas Lemar and Leon Bailey, meaning Willian would be surplus to requirements and free to move on.
Danny Ings to West Brom
Alan Pardew is set to meet with West Brom technical director Nick Hammond to discuss the club's strategy for the January transfer window. The Telegraph claim Ings is their top transfer target, with the new West Brom boss looking to boost the firepower he has at his disposal. It is believed Liverpool would be open to loaning Ings out in an attempt to expose him regular first-team football after injuries have plagued him for the past two years.
Daley Blind to Barcelona
Barcelona are in the market for defenders this January, with Samuel Umtiti injured and Javier Mascherano agitating for a move away from the Camp Nou. Marca claim the La Liga leaders have targeted Blind and believe they can get the Manchester United left-back in a cut-price deal due to the fact his contract expires in the summer of 2018.
Latest Nigeria News
- FA Cup win would not change Tottenham, Pochettino says
- Thiem stuns Djokovic to reach Monte Carlo quarter-finals
- FIFA punishes five clubs over player deals
- You deserve all my respect, Guardiola tells Man City players, staff
- PSG in contact with Paul Pogba agent over Manchester United transfer - source
- Wenger confident Wilshere will sign new Arsenal deal
- Chelsea’s Alonso gets three-match ban
- Wrestling: Nigeria’s Adekuoroye eyes more gold medal in world championship
- Atletico Madrid's Keidi Bare gets nine-game ban for foul-mouthed referee rant
- Spurs need FA Cup, Mourinho wants it more
- Arsenal's Arsene Wenger not concerned by empty seats, low attendance
- Transfer Rater: Christian Eriksen to Barcelona, Jack Wilshere to Wolves
- Barcelona vs. Real Madrid Camp Nou Clasico confirmed for May 6
- Premier League's most creative star to be honoured with new Playmaker award
- Jose Mourinho: Manchester United too inconsistent to win Premier League
- Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo equals scoring record ahead of Champions League semifinal
- Sterling hungry for more after Man City Premier League win
- Igali secures Commonwealth wrestling post
- Onyekuru set to force his way into World Cup squad
- Amazons beat Pelican Stars 3-0
- 24 schools for Zenith Bank/Ikoyi Club swimming
- Poor showing: Nigeria set to lose continental football slots
- Mbappe scores brace as PSG seal French Cup final spot
- Parker fires back at regretting Joshua
- Coach demands 23 months’ salary from Saraki Boys
- Plateau Utd blame defenders
- Gor Mahia edge Supersport to reach group stage
- Video assistant referee decisions at World Cup to have written explanations
- Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho praises 'positive' display at Bournemouth
- Top-club Chelsea harder to manage than Burnley - Antonio Conte
- Transfer Talk: Liverpool target rising Wolverhampton star Ruben Neves
- 2018 World Cup: Pinnick promises Eagles $24m, if Nigeria wins
- Cech tells Gunners to set their sights on unbeaten run
- Man City could dominate for years, says Conte
- EPL: Man United back on track as Mourinho wields axe
- English Premier League table
- Hilal survive Uyo scare to go through with Enyimba
- Yanga seal spot despite Hawassa loss
- Rayon makes history with group stage berth
- Newcomers dominate group stage line-up