Things change in the blink of an eye in football. The Football Whispers Index takes the latest transfer rumours and gives them a score out of five; the higher the score, the more realistic and reliable the whisper.
Here are today's top five emerging whispers. And keep an eye on Transfer Talk for all the latest gossip.
Daniel Sturridge to Newcastle United
Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez is looking to bring in reinforcements during the January transfer window in an attempt to stave off the threat of a relegation battle. They're 16th in the Premier League but just the three points off the bottom of the table. The team are finding goals hard to come by, averaging 0.94 per game so far this term, and have been linked with a number of forwards. The Newcastle Chronicle claim Benitez wants to raid his former club Liverpool to sign Sturridge and believe first-team football would be enough to tempt him to swap red for black and white.
Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool
Liverpool are prepared to battle it out with league leaders Manchester City to secure the signing of long-term target Van Dijk. The Dutch centre-back topped Jurgen Klopp's wishlist during the summer but claims of illegal approaches shelved any possibility of the former Celtic defender moving to Anfield. However, the Liverpool Echo believe Klopp want the recruitment team to do everything in their power to sign Van Dijk during the January transfer window ahead of rivals City.
Willian to Manchester United
The Daily Mail have revealed Willian is once again a target for Manchester United. Jose Mourinho wanted to bring the Brazilian to Old Trafford during the summer along with Nemanja Matic. However, a move never materialised and Willian has scored some vital goals for Antonio Conte's team this season. But recent reports suggest Chelsea have targeted Thomas Lemar and Leon Bailey, meaning Willian would be surplus to requirements and free to move on.
Danny Ings to West Brom
Alan Pardew is set to meet with West Brom technical director Nick Hammond to discuss the club's strategy for the January transfer window. The Telegraph claim Ings is their top transfer target, with the new West Brom boss looking to boost the firepower he has at his disposal. It is believed Liverpool would be open to loaning Ings out in an attempt to expose him regular first-team football after injuries have plagued him for the past two years.
Daley Blind to Barcelona
Barcelona are in the market for defenders this January, with Samuel Umtiti injured and Javier Mascherano agitating for a move away from the Camp Nou. Marca claim the La Liga leaders have targeted Blind and believe they can get the Manchester United left-back in a cut-price deal due to the fact his contract expires in the summer of 2018.
Latest Nigeria News
- [VIDEO] Police arrest football fan suspected of urinating into goalie’s bottle
- Sanchez ‘arrives at Man Utd training ground’
- Real hit back at crisis talk, beat Deportivo 7-1
- Start list: Sudan VS Morocco
- Start list: Mauritania VS Guinea
- Liverpool stars would not join a Premier League rival mid-season - Klopp
- Sanchez to undergo United medical - sources
- Chelsea eye Edin Dzeko, Emerson Palmieri deals with Roma - sources
- Harry Kane waits on century as Tottenham held to draw at Southampton
- Harry Kane scores but Spurs, Southampton settle for draw
- Tottenham would resist world-record bid for Harry Kane - source
- Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez to undergo Manchester United medical - sources
- Watford sack Silva after ‘unwarranted’ Everton approach
- Sanchez, Mkhitaryan set for medicals ahead of swap deal
- Arsenal talks for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang yet to being - Dortmund
- Watford appear to blame Everton for sacking Marco Silva after eight months
- LIVE: 'No Easy Way Out' for Sanchez
- N’Korea to send 22 athletes to Olympics
- Asisat Oshoala : Living the dream
- Ruthless Wozniacki, Cilic into Open quarters
- CHAN: Libya gave Eagles tough time, says Eze
- Congo confirm last eight spot
- Sepp Blatter told Obama U.S. lost 2022 World Cup bid before vote
- Roma, Internazionale to do battle for Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge
- Weah scores in friendly, promises Liberians peace
- Chelsea return to winning ways
- Federer keeps 20th Grand Slam hope alive
- VIOLENCE, OFFICIATING RAISE CONCERNS IN NEW NPFL SEASON
- Ambode vows to tackle Lagos roadside waste
- Start List: Angola VS Cameroon
- Pre-match quotes: Sudan vs Morocco
- Pre-match quotes: Mauritania vs Guinea
- Start list: Congo vs Burkina Faso
- Job penalty send Cameroon packing
- Philippe Coutinho trains with Barca for first time, eyes Espanyol debut
- Neymar again left out of PSG squad with pain in thigh
- Hazard nets 100th EPL goal with Chelsea opener
- Neymar is a great player loved by everyone – Zidane
- Arsenal offer Dortmund $61.1m for Aubameyang
- Mourinho confident Sanchez will sign for United