With the calendar soon turning over to the new year, the gossip ahead of the January transfer window is heating up. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest rumours.
Willian to Manchester United?
It was reported a couple of weeks ago that Jose Mourinho has asked his scouts to find him a "magician" in January and Chelsea's wing wizard Willian has emerged as the leading target, according to the Daily Mail.
The Brazilian was in fine form in the Blues' victory over Huddersfield on Wednesday but has struggled to nail down a starting spot this term. At 29 and with a World Cup just around the corner, it's no surprise to learn he's desperate for first-team football.
That could see Manchester United sneak in with a January offer, with Willian previously playing under Mourinho at Stamford Bridge and fitting the manager's ideal profile for an attacking midfielder.
Chelsea could look to Monaco's Thomas Lemar and Bayer Leverkusen's Leon Bailey as potential replacements, while the report adds that United expect to receive bids for the out-of-favour Henrikh Mkhitaryan when the transfer window opens.
Ozil prefers Old Trafford switch
With Mkhitaryan seemingly destined to leave Manchester United after failing to impress Mourinho, Mesut Ozil continues to be linked with a move to Old Trafford to fill the gap in the No.10 position.
Despite Barcelona also expressing an interest in the German, it's thought Ozil would prefer to link up with Mourinho again after working with the Portuguese coach at Real Madrid.
The Daily Mirror says United are ready to cash in on Mkhitaryan to fund Ozil's wage demands as his contract edges closer to expiring next summer.
Arsenal have offered Ozil £275,000 a week to stay at the Emirates Stadium, but the playmaker is dragging his feet over committing his future to the club. And as for Alexis Sanchez, it appears all hope is lost.
Van Dijk tops Man City's shopping list
In what could be a huge blow to Liverpool's transfer plans, Manchester City have given Pep Guardiola the green light to bring in Virgil van Dijk in January, according to The Sun.
The Southampton captain was linked with a £70 million move to Anfield in the summer, but a botched transfer resulted in the Reds making a public apology to their Premier League rivals.
With Liverpool now trailing in the title race, City look set to step in and take advantage of their lofty position by adding Van Dijk to their ranks for the second half of the season.
Guardiola remains adamant that he requires an extra centre-back to maintain the club's domestic and European challenges, with West Brom's Jonny Evans still regarded as an alternative should Southampton refuse to play ball over Van Dijk.
- Barcelona are plotting to bring in Daley Blind on a free transfer next summer, reports Marca. The Manchester United defender's contract expires at the end of the season and he seems likely to make an exit after losing his place in the first team.
- According to TalkSport, Manchester United will duke it out with Juventus for versatile Monaco midfielder Fabinho. The Brazilian has outlined his intention to leave the Ligue 1 club after seeing a host of stars depart in lucrative transfers last summer.
- Ross Barkley to leave Everton in January? No biggie, says Sam Allardyce, as quoted in the Daily Mirror. With Barkley's contract set to run out in the summer, Allardyce is happy for the Toffees to cash in on the midfielder rather than lose him for nothing at the end of the season. Tottenham are thought to be weighing up an offer.
Matthew Stanger covers European football for ESPN and is the editor of The Set Pieces. Twitter: @MatthewStanger
Latest Nigeria News
- [VIDEO] Police arrest football fan suspected of urinating into goalie’s bottle
- Sanchez ‘arrives at Man Utd training ground’
- Real hit back at crisis talk, beat Deportivo 7-1
- Start list: Sudan VS Morocco
- Start list: Mauritania VS Guinea
- Liverpool stars would not join a Premier League rival mid-season - Klopp
- Sanchez to undergo United medical - sources
- Chelsea eye Edin Dzeko, Emerson Palmieri deals with Roma - sources
- Harry Kane waits on century as Tottenham held to draw at Southampton
- Harry Kane scores but Spurs, Southampton settle for draw
- Tottenham would resist world-record bid for Harry Kane - source
- Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez to undergo Manchester United medical - sources
- Watford sack Silva after ‘unwarranted’ Everton approach
- Sanchez, Mkhitaryan set for medicals ahead of swap deal
- Arsenal talks for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang yet to being - Dortmund
- Watford appear to blame Everton for sacking Marco Silva after eight months
- LIVE: 'No Easy Way Out' for Sanchez
- N’Korea to send 22 athletes to Olympics
- Asisat Oshoala : Living the dream
- Ruthless Wozniacki, Cilic into Open quarters
- CHAN: Libya gave Eagles tough time, says Eze
- Congo confirm last eight spot
- Sepp Blatter told Obama U.S. lost 2022 World Cup bid before vote
- Roma, Internazionale to do battle for Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge
- Weah scores in friendly, promises Liberians peace
- Chelsea return to winning ways
- Federer keeps 20th Grand Slam hope alive
- VIOLENCE, OFFICIATING RAISE CONCERNS IN NEW NPFL SEASON
- Ambode vows to tackle Lagos roadside waste
- Start List: Angola VS Cameroon
- Pre-match quotes: Sudan vs Morocco
- Pre-match quotes: Mauritania vs Guinea
- Start list: Congo vs Burkina Faso
- Job penalty send Cameroon packing
- Philippe Coutinho trains with Barca for first time, eyes Espanyol debut
- Neymar again left out of PSG squad with pain in thigh
- Hazard nets 100th EPL goal with Chelsea opener
- Neymar is a great player loved by everyone – Zidane
- Arsenal offer Dortmund $61.1m for Aubameyang
- Mourinho confident Sanchez will sign for United